Well, I'm done with code 3 products,

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
Today was the last straw with Code 3. We have been an avid supporter of their company for years both where I work and me personally, but today that ends. I knew there would be trouble when they were bought by ESG but I didn't think it would be this bad. I lost an end cap for an Xt604 lightstick while I was uninstalling it from a wrecked unit to put into a new unit. Mind you, this thing is only about a year old. If you wonder why I lost and end cap it's because it comes off automatically when you remove the bracket. Called Code 3 to try to get a replacement part, they said I would have to contact a dealer. Called the local dealer who was surprised that code 3 wanted me to call a salesperson to get a part. He said he'd call me back. Called me back a few minutes later and told me I'm out of luck. Code 3 does not release individual parts like that, he said that's the case with end caps, vehicle brackets and anything else specific to a product. I called Code 3 back and they told me the same thing. The product comes in from overseas assembled so they do not stock and cannot order individual parts. I asked, well what if someone loses the end cap like me, they said well, you shouldn't have lost it and you'll have to buy a new unit.

So that's it, I'm done. If I cannot get replacement parts for a $350 light, then I'll spend the money somewhere I can.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
They actually told you you shouldn't have lost it? Well, that's some awesome customer service right there.
I'd have gone full a-hole mode right there on that person.

Wow, lots of personnel retraining if you're telling customers to stop loosing or breaking their product. That's money lost, not gained.

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
I'd have gone full a-hole mode right there on that person.

Wow, lots of personnel retraining if you're telling customers to stop loosing or breaking their product. That's money lost, not gained.

I did not say I had good personal restraint, trust me after they told me I shouldn't have lost it, I lost it. Everything we put on our fire trucks, staff cars, and police cars was code 3 up until that point. What they do not realize is that I manage the logistics for the county, in other words, I choose what we buy, no longer code 3. Looks like soundoff just gained some business without even trying.

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
So much to say about Code3.......Must.....resist......urges.......Do you just need an endcap? I can probably find one here.

I would actually need a few. We have a couple of more rebuilds happening in the next few months and am afraid with the way that they mount the upfitters will lose more as they do not really care. If you can get them or have some I'd be willing to buy them to avoid replacing a perfectly operational light stick.

Reactions: Thebakerman

RCMoeur

Apr 26, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
25 years ago, Code 3 was great. Any part, even down to #8 SS screws in a specific length - just look up the number and they'll ship it thru your dealer (for a substantial markup, but hey, at least they had it in stock at the factory on Warson). Seems like things have changed, but not for the better. :(

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Code 3 was killing it with halogen technology and they weren't too shabby with strobe technology, but they shit in, and all around, the bed when they got into LED technology. I know there are die hard fans of the 2100 and 2700 series bars, but everything about them screams "import", from the shapes to the construction, and the electronics.

To be fair though, it seems like Whelen & Federal Signal are the only ones actually designing and truly manufacturing their products anymore. That doesn't mean there isn't some decent stuff coming from the other brands, or off-brands, but the grey area between reliable, effective imports and deceptive, crappy clones does a very good job of fooling the typical consumer.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I’m with you. SoundOff can head in as far as I’m concerned. I have it all over my squad. Nearly every set has had faults. Federal Signal from now on...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Code 3 was killing it with halogen technology and they weren't too shabby with strobe technology, but they shit in, and all around, the bed when they got into LED technology. I know there are die hard fans of the 2100 and 2700 series bars, but everything about them screams "import", from the shapes to the construction, and the electronics.

To be fair though, it seems like Whelen & Federal Signal are the only ones actually designing and truly manufacturing their products anymore. That doesn't mean there isn't some decent stuff coming from the other brands, or off-brands, but the grey area between reliable, effective imports and deceptive, crappy clones does a very good job of fooling the typical consumer.

Federal signal? the same company where a 1/3 of the products are the same as brookings? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't see how this statement can be made and star left off... the whole reason star lags behind is because they do it themselves and are not the behemoth whelen is. That said... back on topic.

There is a reason Code 3 lost FHP..... despite all of the cronyism

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
holy crap... I actually spelled it right?!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
The FHP are still using C3. They are the 2700 with the prism light heads. At least around here.
the contract is done. They won't swap them out so old cars will still have them but new cars are going fedsig.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.