Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It was truly a horrendous waste of funds

FFM19

Aug 6, 2010
Morgantown, WV
Here is the video. Just a complete lighting fail through and through IMO. Has great potential, but just not executed. The X-pattern is probably the worst thing out there.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Post it if you have the link please.

https://m.facebook.com/West-Overland-EMS-and-Fire-Protection-District-297649517002025/videos/

This rig had SOOOOO much POTENTIAL to be a #1 in the hall of fame (up there with Cajun's bat mobile), but this just sucks!!

I generally like black over red schemes on apparatus (i.e. top portion of cab black and bottom red), but I think there's way too much black here...even the black rims and the black cover for the Q even piss me off b/c it's like they're trying to look like a swat truck.  Your job is to be seen, not sneak up on a dope house for a raid at 0600.

I love Hortons (we have a bunch of them and they're great), but I hate the chevron lights (they have no off-axis and hardly noticeable in daylight) and they often put the M-series on random scan pattern, a diagonal zigzag, cyclon, or pinwheel.  All of the newer Hortons in my county that have M-series have one of those stupid patterns and i prefer the older rigs simply b/c the 900's and 700's don't have such flash patterns.  The only lights that weren't failures on this entire rig IMO are the rotabeams corners but that's just b/c there are limited options for flashing them, otherwise I'm sure they would've found a way to mess those up too!  The HG2 runners and the D+ sticks top it off by making it look even worse.  The full freedoms on the sides are so unnecessary and just contribute more to the mess (even tho the freedom patterns are the best ones on the entire truck).

Honestly, if I were spec-ing this truck and had an unlimited budget, I would scrap half these lights and just work in syncing properly.  Also, nothing against the IAFF (since I'm a local member myself), but I'd rather have my Dept seal or patch on the side of the truck, rather than a full size IAFF logo.

Also, unless you have one of those few ambulance/pumper combos rigs in the US or you're at some industrial facility that can rely on standpipes for initial attack (ie our neighboring district actually carries high rise packs on their ambulances), I can't see the need for spanners on an ambulance.  I means, there's a HUGE problem if u can't find them on any of your engines or aerials on scene and need to go to an ambulance for them.

Sorry for the rant but this is Just such a typical waste of $$$$.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I would literally stab someone for half the budget spent on lights here...

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Oh man that video was painful to watch. I feel like the person who spec'd the truck really did their homework....on how to piss off ELB members. 

"Ok guys, let's put all the nice big lights on the worst pattern we can find like X or pin wheel, the little lights should be split fail with two colors, the light stick will be night rider and then let's add some of those HG2 lights." Then...as they sit there scratching their heads...how else can we piss them off? Guy with the video camera "I'll shoot the whole thing in vertical mode!" Drops mic.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I just found a vid of this rig on the Horton website BEFORE they butchered the lights.  While there is still room for improvement (i.e. Alternating the red and blue lightheads on the box) this video shows how solid flashing lightheads and large blocks of light in the freedom inboards are so much more effective than random seizure flickering patterns. (Ultimately, this video provides a rare before & after comparison for this horrific job)

https://m.facebook.com/HortonVehicles/videos/

(also, not the sidetrack, the 6th Horton video in that page might possibly have a worse lighting package fail but it's less painful to watch b/c they probably didn't waste as much $)

Reactions: jph2

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
I just found a vid of this rig on the Horton website BEFORE they butchered the lights.  While there is still room for improvement (i.e. Alternating the red and blue lightheads on the box) this video shows how solid flashing lightheads and large blocks of light in the freedom inboards are so much more effective than random seizure flickering patterns. (Ultimately, this video provides a rare before & after comparison for this horrific job)

https://m.facebook.com/HortonVehicles/videos/

(also, not the sidetrack, the 6th Horton video in that page might possibly have a worse lighting package fail but it's less painful to watch b/c they probably didn't waste as much $)

Hoping that's an after vid not before.

Reactions: ford-101

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.