Westchester County PD's New Cars

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
They messed up the two all red lightbar's in the front with the outter takedown's. There's only one & I wouldn't put the middle takedown where it is, but otherwise everything looks great.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I said:
They messed up the two all red lightbar's in the front with the outter takedown's. There's only one & I wouldn't put the middle takedown where it is' date=' but otherwise everything looks great.[/quote']

That's not a takedown, just a clear LED with a clear lens... Most of Westchester's lightbars have clear lens on one side.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Not bad! I'd prefer a darker shade of blue, but I always like blue/white paint jobs like that.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
firedude said:
... All photos are mine and can't be used without permission!

You may want to review the site rules you agreed to when you signed up.

eLightbars.org - Site Rules

Once original material is posted on the site, it becomes the property of elightbars.org/forums and/or public domain.

Not trying to argue, just wanted you to be aware of this. :)

Oh, and really like the new colour scheme compared to the old one..

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
firedude said:
There are federal laws in place to protect photographers like me. :thumbsup:
Sigh,

Again, please review the following, your point above is moot.

eLightbars.org - Site Rules

eLightbars.org - Terms of Service

eLightbars.org - Privacy Policy

Any further questions/responses regarding this can be directed to my PM inbox, or a site admins. (this goes for all users) Further posts discussing site rules, copyright laws of photos, etc will be deleted, and users warned. All users agreed to these terms upon registering to this forum, its your responsibility to follow them.

Thanks!

Please, back on topic of the actual vehicles and graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:

sundog

Dec 18, 2010
USA Louisiana
Like the scheme very much, especially the elevation of County to the same scale as Police on the door. I hate it when agencies minimize their identity in their graphics.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Are "County Police" Sheriffs? either way nice units i love the colored lenses.

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Station 3 said:
Are "County Police" Sheriffs? either way nice units i love the colored lenses.

They are the same thing just have different tittles. Except the sheriff in Westchester County is a lttle different.

Westchester County Police: Full-time law enforcement agency that patrols (and investigates) county owned roads, the parkways and the county airport.

Westchester County Sheriff: Is a part time law enforcement agency that is under the direction of the County Police. All deputies are volunteers and are Peace Officers. When on duty they have full arrest authority and do carry a firearm. They are used for special events such as parades, traffic control, DUI blocks and any other event when requested.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Don't Sheriff's Offices also carry out Court duties as well.? Correctional, warrants, subpoenas, etc?

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
50theman said:

The more traditionally operated Sheriff's Offices are upstate. The closer to the city you get, the more jacked up it becomes. The Sheriff should be the Chief LEO in a county, but for some reason, in the NE, the Sheriff is losing traction. Down here, the Sheriff is a Constitutional Office.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
firedude said:
They are the same thing just have different tittles. Except the sheriff in Westchester County is a lttle different.

Westchester County Police: Full-time law enforcement agency that patrols (and investigates) county owned roads, the parkways and the county airport.

Westchester County Sheriff: Is a part time law enforcement agency that is under the direction of the County Police. All deputies are volunteers and are Peace Officers. When on duty they have full arrest authority and do carry a firearm. They are used for special events such as parades, traffic control, DUI blocks and any other event when requested.

Wrong. The Westchester County Police and Sheriff's Office are the same thing. Properly known as the Department of Public Safety. There is a division of the Police Department that handles the Sheriff responsibilities of civil process.This is staffed by full time professional police officers who wear the same uniform as the street patrol officers. The Commissioner's official title is actually The Commissioner/Sheriff of WCDPS.

The volunteer group you mentioned is called the Sheriff's Special Emergency Force. Basically auxiliary police. They arent the entire "sheriff's department".

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
one11sgt said:
Wrong. The Westchester County Police and Sheriff's Office are the same thing. Properly known as the Department of Public Safety. There is a division of the Police Department that handles the Sheriff responsibilities of civil process.This is staffed by full time professional police officers who wear the same uniform as the street patrol officers. The Commissioner's official title is actually The Commissioner/Sheriff of WCDPS.

The volunteer group you mentioned is called the Sheriff's Special Emergency Force. Basically auxiliary police. They arent the entire "sheriff's department".

Somewhat, but not quite. You just provided some more detailed info, thats it.

Yes, they are all classified as the Department of Public Safety. The Emergency Force is under the Special Ops Div. The Emergency Force is known as the sheriff. The sheriff does not wear the same uniform. The "Emergency Force" is the whole sheriff's deparmtment.

The Public Safety Emergency Force is an all-volunteer specialized unit in the Westchester County Department of Public Safety. Trained and equipped by the county police, the emergency force is comprised of part-time Deputy Sheriffs who are duly sworn peace officers and possess those powers to carry out their duties. The PSEF provides assistance, upon request, to town, village and city police departments with regard to traffic and crowd control at special events such as parades, street fairs and fireworks celebrations. On average, the PSEF contributes more than 4,000 hours of service each year in local communities.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
firedude said:
Somewhat, but not quite. You just provided some more detailed info, thats it.

Yes, they are all classified as the Department of Public Safety. The Emergency Force is under the Special Ops Div. The Emergency Force is known as the sheriff. The sheriff does not wear the same uniform. The "Emergency Force" is the whole sheriff's deparmtment.

The Sheriff is the Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety. The Officers who work for him play the role of police officer and sheriffs deputy. They all identify as PO's but many serve in the traditional role of deputies. The Emergency force is NOT the whole sheriffs office. The wear a different uniform and patch so the public can easily differentiate them from professional police officers. There are PO's that deal with civil issues in the DPS as part of the sheriff responsibilities. See: Civil Unit

The Westchester County Parkway Police and the Sheriffs Office were merged to form one department to handle both roles. See: History of the County Police.

The "sheriffs special emergency force" is no longer known as such. Its known as the Public Safety Emergency force. See: Public Safety Emergency Force

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
one11sgt said:
The Sheriff is the Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety. The Officers who work for him play the role of police officer and sheriffs deputy. They all identify as PO's but many serve in the traditional role of deputies. The Emergency force is NOT the whole sheriffs office. The wear a different uniform and patch so the public can easily differentiate them from professional police officers. There are PO's that deal with civil issues in the DPS as part of the sheriff responsibilities. See: Civil Unit

The Westchester County Parkway Police and the Sheriffs Office were merged to form one department to handle both roles. See: History of the County Police.

The "sheriffs special emergency force" is no longer known as such. Its known as the Public Safety Emergency force. See: Public Safety Emergency Force

Do you work for the Department of public safety? Emergency force IS the whole "sheriffs" portion of the department. While the Commissioner of public safety may somethimes be called the "Sheriff", he is not part of the Emergency Force or "County Sheriff". The civil unit deals with the "Sheriff Sales" which is basically an auction and has nothing to do with the sheriff. The Civil Unit doesn't really deal with the emergency force. The Emergency force, or "Sheriff" is under the Patrol unit, not the SOD which I previously stated.

:popcorn:

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
firedude said:
Do you work for the Department of public safety? Emergency force IS the whole "sheriffs" portion of the department. While the Commissioner of public safety may somethimes be called the "Sheriff", he is not part of the Emergency Force or "County Sheriff". The civil unit deals with the "Sheriff Sales" which is basically an auction and has nothing to do with the sheriff. The Civil Unit doesn't really deal with the emergency force. The Emergency force, or "Sheriff" is under the Patrol unit, not the SOD which I previously stated.

:popcorn:

Im not going to go back and forth so this will be my last post on the topic, but you are inccorect. The Commissioner isnt sometimes the Sheriff, he is the Sheriff. His official title is Commisioner/Sheriff of the Westchester County Department of Public Safety. He is part of the Sheriff's department and the Emergency force in such as he is their boss. The DPS is both the Sheriff's office and Police Department for the county. As opposed to NYC for example. The NYPD is the police and the NYC Sheriff is a separate agency dealing with civil process and judgement enforcement. In Westchester County those services are provided by one agency, the DPS.

The civil unit handles alot more than just sales. They handle all the responsibilities of a sheriff's office including serving civil process, seizing property awarded in judgement, enforcing mental health removal orders etc and is staffed by full time professional police offcers. These are all the responsibilities of a sheriffs office. In the DPS the civil unit is responsible for the sheriffs functions. The Emergency force is the only portion of the DPS that actually wears the word sheriff on their uniform but they are not the only portion performing sheriff's duties. With all due respect, I dont believe you properly understand the legal function of a sheriff in lower NYS which is that of civil law enforcement as opposed to criminal law enforcement. And yes, I previously worked for the county police.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Well, at least it's not another black and white clone. I actually like it... especially the metallic blue with the orange... makes it "pop"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.