What CAD do you use?

psteele

May 20, 2010
43.864776 -71.635851
I'm curious to see what other departments/agencies are using for CAD programs. I work at a dispatch center covering an area of New Hampshire about the size of Rhode Island and serving 38 different fire and EMS agencies. We are looking into a new CAD program. Any suggestions or pros and cons of different programs would be nice.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
http://www.versaterm.com/

I got laid off a few weeks ago so I have only used it in training, but the Sheriff and PD here both use it. I believe it's also set up for Fire/EMS use. Seems to work well and has all kinds of functionality built-in and available via backend interfaces.

Maranos

May 21, 2010
Pacific Northwest, USA
RolnCode3 said:
http://www.versaterm.com/

I got laid off a few weeks ago so I have only used it in training, but the Sheriff and PD here both use it. I believe it's also set up for Fire/EMS use. Seems to work well and has all kinds of functionality built-in and available via backend interfaces.

We are going live with the new Versadex cad in April next year. Currently we use a Northrup Grumman owned company called PRC. It pretty much looks like DOS lol. MDT's us the Motorola TX-Messenger to connect to the PRC. Pretty old tech, but it gets the job done. Tho we're all looking forward to the Versadex system.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Zoll RescueNet

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
My county used OSSI for years. It was a great system after the first year after all of the bugs and add-ons were worked out. Then, for some unknown reason, they switched to VisionAir. What a waste time AND money. They are in the process of bringing VisionMobile online, and they have been working on this one for 3 years now. All of the VFDs had to buy all these laptops and air cards, and everything is still sitting in the boxes waiting for VisionFire Mobile to come online.

Why my county went with such a huge system is beyond me. We are mostly a rural county anyways.

The VisionAIr system, one the user end, seems way too slow and constantly has errors that tech support cannot figure out. Such a waste of money.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Our SO/Dispatch uses Shieldware, they seem to like it. We use SMART RMS at our PD, but when I go into the jail I can pick up Shieldware and use it very easily.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
psteele said:
I was just looking at that. How do you guys like it? Any pros and cons?
It's a great software to use. Our county liked it so much that our detention center uses a sister program from them called InCustody. They are always asking for our feedback on both systems. The great thing is when we submit our feedback they listen to us and fix or upgrade the ideas we had.

psteele

May 20, 2010
43.864776 -71.635851
hawkspringsfire said:
It's a great software to use. Our county liked it so much that our detention center uses a sister program from them called InCustody. They are always asking for our feedback on both systems. The great thing is when we submit our feedback they listen to us and fix or upgrade the ideas we had.

It is good to hear that their customer service is good. It is hard to find a company that is willing to listen and actually do something about it.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
New World CAD

http://www.newworldsystems.com/

Seems to be ok. Our digital pages are sometimes confusing but I think it is the dispatchers because they've only been using it for a year. The first six months were horrible but it has gotten better. Just seems to be a dispatcher hurdle.

Here is our live WebCAD: http://www.ycdes.org/webcad/

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
We currently have Genisis CAD32. But we are supposed to be getting a new one in the near future, just not sure what it is yet...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Boss429 said:
New World CAD

Seems to be ok. Our digital pages are sometimes confusing but I think it is the dispatchers because they've only been using it for a year. The first six months were horrible but it has gotten better. Just seems to be a dispatcher hurdle.

How do you like it? We're switching to it in March, although it was pushed back from aug dues to glitches they were trying to work out.

Currently using MobileCop integrated with AS400 (1980's babee... :roll: )

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Fluffy126577 said:
Zoll RescueNet

Saw that at FDIC this year. We used to use an older EMS version at the last place I worked. I wish we'd switch to Zoll here.

FireEMSPolice said:
I have also used Emergitech since the company is local.

http://www.emergitech.com/

That's what we have here now. Almost everyone here hates it. We keep buying all these other programs and they don't work right. We figure it's because they are all tied in to ETI. We've already dumped their EMS reporting software..

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
dustymedic said:
That's what we have here now. Almost everyone here hates it. We keep buying all these other programs and they don't work right. We figure it's because they are all tied in to ETI. We've already dumped their EMS reporting software..

Why do you hate them?

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
Fluffy126577 said:
Zoll RescueNet

ditto. seems like an ok program, but this is the only one i have used. pretty simple to learn and opperate.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
FireEMSPolice said:
Why do you hate them?

First of all; It's not really windows based, it's DOS panels stuck in windows

Second, many dissimilar vehicle statuses will be the same color and grouped together: ie on the air, to hospital, OOS are all the same color. The previous CAD I used had different colors for all those statuses.

Crashes & locks up ALOT. I know they all do, but 2 to 6 times during a 12 shift, really??

Support is horrible. Our 911 software provider is in Vermont and they provide more on site help than ETI, who is 20 miles away.

Their mapping software looks like some thing a 6 year old drew it with MS Paint.

And like I said, other programs we get will not play well with it. Our EMD questioning does not get send to the vehicle MDCs until we hang up from the call and close EMD Pro QA (software version of the flip cards). May of 2009, we all took EFD (Emerg Fire Dispatch). Priority Dispatch still has not authorized the interface that ETI wrote for EFD QA, because of the EMD problem. At this rate we will all have to recert our EFD cards before we even begin to use them.

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
We use E911 and its companion program E911Stat, both made by Rad Software. Really kind of crappy but it works for us.
http://radsoftware.org/

I have also used Emergitech since the company is local.

http://www.emergitech.com/

We use E911 also, and you're right... it's pretty basic but it does get the job done.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
code60a said:
We use E911 also, and you're right... it's pretty basic but it does get the job done.

What version are you guys on over there? I talked to the guy at Rad Software and he said we are on the original version. The software has been upgraded but my employer refuses to modernize.

mfdbenji

May 21, 2010
Castleton, Vermont
Most Agencies in Vermont use Spillman. The system is great, but seems to be more geared towards Police dispatching. There are other programs that can be added to Spillman that are geared towards Fire and EMS- We just dont use them at my center since the Fire Departments dont use alarm cards and stuff like that.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
mfdbenji said:
Most Agencies in Vermont use Spillman. The system is great, but seems to be more geared towards Police dispatching. There are other programs that can be added to Spillman that are geared towards Fire and EMS- We just dont use them at my center since the Fire Departments dont use alarm cards and stuff like that.

Same here, I was going to comment that i didn't see any east coast Spillman users. We too, are a law enforcement only agency. Spillman is great for CAD, Records, Evidence, Warrants, Detention, and their mobile application is nice too. I haven't played with the Fire & EMS applications at all.

I was just in Salt Lake City to attend the 2010 Spillman Users Conference... lots of neat stuff.

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
mfdbenji said:

We too use Spillman. We dispatch for Police - Fire - EMS in my town. Seems to be working well compared to the Enforsys system that we were using previous... How can you disbelieve a bunch of mormons trying to sell it to you! :lol:

However, nothing can beat the original DM Data CPLIMS running Linux. Talk about user friendly.

-Steve

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
rwo978 said:
How do you like it? We're switching to it in March, although it was pushed back from aug dues to glitches they were trying to work out.

Currently using MobileCop integrated with AS400 (1980's babee... :roll: )

Wow, You guys are still in the 80's? lol. Seems to work decent, just a dispatcher hurdle. Of course we didn't like it in the beginning because it was change and It was integrated with the wonderful M/A Com radio system :evil: . That made it look bad, but doesn't seem to be treating us too bad.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Visionair (sp?) CAD and MDT system. The CAD itself can be used for police, fire, ems, and sheriff, it has the capabilities for EMS move ups, suggestible units for each call, a real multitude of features. The reports it can generate are fairly detailed and easy to get to. The CAD itself is a starting shell, and each agency can program their own information into it, including streets, neighborhoods, businesses, etc. Once we learned the system in our dispatch center the use of it became much easier. We dont use it to the fullest extent, but all we dispatch is our city police and fire. There have been very few glitches in the dispatch room, but there are other glitches with the MDT portion. Of course I think that may be related to our network, but I'm really not sure.

My biggest gripe with the system is the mapping software in the dispatch room, being GeoLynx 9-1-1. It moves slow, its very slow to load, searching it takes time you really dont have in this field, thats why most dispatchers up here still use a secondary mapping program. Its faster, and easier to use, but we loose AVL capabilities and satalite imaging. Just an adjustment for use. Hope this helps!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Boss429 said:
New World CAD

http://www.newworldsystems.com/Public_S ... /index.asp

Same here, and we just recently upgraded to SP4. Has it's fair share of issues, but is somewhat functional.

We operate with 37 fire departments, 13 police agencies, and 5 commercial EMS agencies. Some FDs run BLS service, some run BLS and ALS, and some departments want nothing to do with EMS.

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
Ben E. said:
Our SO/Dispatch uses Shieldware, they seem to like it. We use SMART RMS at our PD, but when I go into the jail I can pick up Shieldware and use it very easily.

Ditto on Shieldware. The department I started with uses it, and I have always liked it.

My current dept uses SunGuard.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.