What can I do about screws that just keep turning?

Straypuft

Nov 7, 2015
Akron Ohio
Forgive me for not knowing if there is a correct term for this.

I am trying to get into a Vector to disconnect pod wires, But I am stumped about 2 screws on the very rear of the base that only just keep turning and not seeming to come loose.

My reason for wanting to get at the wires is to test the individual pods to see if they work with a computer power supply that I was able to use to get the takedowns and alleys to work(2 of the pods have 3 lights in them)

I have been able to get every other screw off of this thing but I still cannot get those 2 rear screws out.

edit:

Let it be known that all I have are basic tools and a weak-powered drill

Last edited:

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
If you can get something fairly stiff and flat ( small flat bade screwdriver) under the edge of the screw head apply bit of pressure outward and slowly attempt to unscrew with your other driver. Apply more pressure if it still wont unscrew. Once the screw threads bit (if they do) they should unscrew normally otherwise just keep pressure on it.

Straypuft

Nov 7, 2015
Akron Ohio
Revisiting this issue, I cannot get a screwdriver in under the head of the screw, I even tried getting the screwdriver under the metal flap thingy that the screw was holding onto the frame, tried to loosen the screw while at the same time applying pressure to lift the screw a bit but that didnt work:
ai.imgur.com_BwYmURo.jpg
As you can see, all I have been able to do was bend the metal with the screwdriver.

I want to try to drill into the screw head hole and maybe destroy the entire head with a Dremel with drill bit, But I am afraid that it will be too loud and my apartment walls are thin or something like that, but if I were to do the Dremel thing, Do I need a drill bit designed for metal or could the supplied bit do the job?

I thought about cutting the head off with a cutting disc but it would appear that I wouldnt be able to get under the head just to do so.

When I say Dremel, I use the term loosely, I have this tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/?tag=elightbars-20
Would this be enough to cut off the head and if so, What type of bit or disc do I need to do so?

I might consider extraction pliers first before I go the loud cutting route. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YJKAPQ/?tag=elightbars-20

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Yep, What C17LVFD said.
You can try grabbing the head of the screw with a set of pliers and seeing if you can turn and pull it out that way..

Or get a reverse drill bit and tap it out.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
this should do the trick...

ashop.guntap.com_image_cache_data_gift_acc_50_bmg_blank_quarter_800x800.jpg

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
All kidding aside, Fed Sig also likes to press in or weld nuts on the back side of panels so the bolts have something to bite into. If a couple of those nuts came loose, you have a bigger problem.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
A pair of needle nose vise grips is handy to hold the bolt still for drilling, tedious work, but do able..

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have had luck in using a knife or even a thick carpet-type razor blade for the method that HCSO249 suggested where a flat-blade screwdriver was too thick.

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
If you're to the point you are tearing it up, bending the snot out of things...Drill or cut the head off. Very likely the nut broke loose, as mentioned before, so cutting/grinding be easier than drilling since may just free spin on ya.

Reactions: dmathieu

Straypuft

Nov 7, 2015
Akron Ohio
If you're to the point you are tearing it up, bending the snot out of things...Drill or cut the head off. Very likely the nut broke loose, as mentioned before, so cutting/grinding be easier than drilling since may just free spin on ya.
I have noticed problems with rusted u-nuts in the dome covers breaking apart making the screw impossible to remove, so this could be the case here..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.