what causes strobes to become dim over time?

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
One of our backup engines is equipped with Whelen strobes (2 siren speakers with 700 series strobes on the front and two strobe beacons on the rear). This engine has a few years on it however very little hours and looks almost new.

The strobe lens and domes look pretty good, but they just aren't very bright. To me it seems that they used to be a lot better.

does the power supply lose intensity over time, or the strobe tubes lose efficiency or something?

thanks
Bob

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
gas weakens over time, capacitors go bad overtime..

Reactions: fp13-2
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
My first thought was the internal reflection surface. It is common for heat (and age) to degrade the internal reflective surface.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I agree gas weakening, tubes getting a leak over time which will make the strobes fail, and definitely capacitor's going bad. I have several power supplies that capacitors going and no more ability to get them replaced by whelen or a local electronics repair shop esp if that's not the only issue going on. But I prefer strobes to crappy led lights that die faster.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
A few of the Edge 9000 bars from the late 80s on some of my departments old 88/89/90 Caprices would whistle when turned on. It was the old worn out capacitors but they still did strobe. So there would be a whistle/wine noise consistent with the strobe. You could hear them too when the deputy was talking on the radio.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It might SEEM they were brighter, if you compare them to the LEDs in use now.

However, I have seen black deposits inside the strobe tubes, which would certainly block some light from passing.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
It might SEEM they were brighter, if you compare them to the LEDs in use now.

However, I have seen black deposits inside the strobe tubes, which would certainly block some light from passing.

Yeah, I did in fact consider that possibility. And before someone else gets a chance to say it I will: maybe I'm just an old fart now that can't see as well!! Which is true! :)

Someday I will open one of them up and see if a good cleaning/polishing will help

take care guys
Bob

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
It's too bad no one makes those turbo tubes of whelens cause the others aren't the same. I have a tube that's going intermittent, guess I'll check my wires before I use my last replacement.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.