What changes/additions would you make to Feniex products?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
So I was hanging out with my girlfriend and she actually is interested in lighting and will comment when she sees some lighting. So were talking about Feniex products. We were talking about the different Feniex products. So that conversation leads to this thread.

If you could tell Feniex to change or create 3 or 4 things, what would they be? Realistic things.

1) I love Cannons. But I don't like that you can't use an external flasher. Myself and I heard others say they wont use them anymore because of that.

2) I was looking forward to the external flasher but I was disappointed when I got one. Not sure why they put T/A patterns in it? But they left out the good patterns like the double, triple and quad. And It would be nice if you could scroll backwards through the patterns.

I would have taken the flasher further then everyone else has. I have 4 external flashers in my truck. (trailer is synced with truck) How about maul banks that sync. So if you just wanted to use just your rear lights you could. Or a bank for white cut out. And more then 20 amps. I know this would be more expensive, but I think if it was more versatile people would pay for it.

3) How about a hand held siren.

4) Make the mini 4200 mini Bluetooth capable. I am going to add one just for scene/work lights. So if I was going to load up my truck I could turn the lights on to light my way.

So lets hear your ideas.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
1) To piggyback off your number 1. Not just cannons, but their entire line as well. All of their lighting should be able to be used a flasher.

2) A revamped flash pattern list for all lightheads and a few more patterns for the lightsticks/ILB's. Many of their patterns are great, but some could be better. As many have said before add styles like action flash, quad flash, signal alert, etc. Or for ILB/Full Size bars, let us be able to program some patterns? And allow every single type of their lightheads sync to each other.

3) Activate the RJ-45 comm ports on the for the fullsize lightbars, sirens and add the extra one to the 4200, so you can control both siren and lightbars without tons of wires.

4) A blue print/cencom type controller where everything possible thing can be controlled by the 4200. More logic inputs with the ability to do "If, then" and "If, and" etc, type statements.

5) 3 modes for lightsticks/ILB's

------------------------------------------------------------------
Extras:
6) Tri-mode/tri-color for all lightheads

7) Redo the flasher. As you stated above.

8) Fusion T3's - bring it in line with the new line and make them sync with the new line.

9) Rotating Light, either like the Whelen rotabeam, or the federal signals ones. Or may a new style rotator?

I know I have more, but that's all I can think of for the moment...

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
1. My BIGGEST complaint about almost all of Feniex's products is that you cannot use an external flasher. They started with the Cannons, and now supposedly the Fusions are like that, which is the SINGLE ONLY reason I haven't purchased at least 8 of them.
Many people have other brand lights they want to sync.
And even if this is Feniex's master plan to try to get customers to switch out their non-Feniex lights for Feniex lights, newsflash: No one's going to!

I want to use an external flasher for 2 reasons: patterns and multiple modes.

I like other patterns better than Feniex.

Also, since Feniex Fusions are dual color, but only 2 mode, my plan was to set one mode on one color steady, then the other mode on the other color steady. Then I could use one mode for takedown, and the other mode to a flasher to get another 2 modes: slow flash for scene/night, fast flash for daytime response.

2. (related to above) Patterns suck

3. (related to above) Only 2 modes so you have to choose between options rather than have 3 or 4 modes, or have the option to program various options.

4. Improve Widelux products. I've considered them to replace M7 style lights, but lack of a true dual color product negates the need to upgrade. I HATE split lights, even if they're individually controlled sides. Also they're very "white" and noticeable when off, they need to be tinted, black colored boards, or something to disguise them more for applications other than simple apparatus lighting.

I hope Feniex is watching this... They have a very limited time to respond to me. I've been considering many other companies options in the past few weeks ever since I found out about the external flasher problem. If they would just make even a "dummy" mode fusion DUAL color, that can have independent operation of each color "instantly" without a warmup time for use with an external flasher, I would buy many. I want to be able to use with my Federal Signal SSP2K.

Thank you for starting this thread! I almost did the other day with the exact same comments and intent but I got busy and didn't have time.

Reactions: C17LVFD

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Also, upgrade the bluetooth on the 4200's. The range on mine sucks, maybe 10-12 feet tops and I have to costantly reconnect.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Same comments as above regarding external flasher compatibility and more pattern choices. Unfortunately, I expect this would probably involve yet anther firmware version that won't be compatible with earlier versions.

I'd also like to see better product documentation.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I'll add to this thread as well -

1) As stated above, the flash patterns. I'd love to see the SLOW double flash come back as well as the signal-alert pattern be added.

2) Something needs to be done about the moisture getting in the T6 modules. I'm still having issues with some installed modules getting water in them even with the latest version of the module.

3) Also stated above - the ability to use the modules with an external flasher. I love Feniex products, but being limited on how we can sync the lights sucks.

That's all I've got for now.

EastSide279

Apr 11, 2013
CT
Definatly being able to use the lights with an external flasher is my #1. More common flash patterns such as signal alert and a quad flash would be my #2. Make the Feniex external flasher have all flash patterns as well as more common ones and maybe a low power function. Every light should just be 3 mode. If you can do it with the cannons you should be able to do it with all products. I love the Feniex products but like others have not purchased some because of not being able to sync with a flasher and patterns. I really hope Feniex is watching this too because if those changes were made they really would sell more and raise their position in the lighting market.

PanHandleStan

May 20, 2010
FL
1) make lights able to work with an external flasher or offer dummy models.
2) Change flash patterns
3) make sticks able to synch together
4) fix quality control issues
5) Make interior bars actually fit properly
6) offer a tri color light

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
1. As for me I would want to see a vertical line of products. Like the widelux 7x3 but vertical optics. Alot of my work is utility trucks and on the back of them (esp dump trucks) I like to use a vertical whelen 700. Most of the time my installs are Feniex and would be nice to have the versatility of the widelux for the rear of a vehicle.

2. Cannons external flasher compatible. Pretty sure this goes without saying.

3. A Feniex version of WeCan for their light bars. I love the ability to customize patterns and functions with a bar. Makes it 200% more usable then standard programing.

4. Ability to sync light bars and light sticks

5. Three mode Apollo, fusions, t3 and widelux PLEASE. Yes the widelux already have a ton of wires coming out of it but the ability to have multiple mods is wicked important.

6. Would like to see the widelux have the offer of 100% dual color not split heads.

7. Tri-color light heads.

8. A 500 series widelux or lighthead

9. Darken the background board of the widelux. The white background make it stick out like a soar thumb.

Last edited:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
That's limitations of bluetooth. Doing a wireless network would have been a better idea.

ease of use would be a big plus. Technical guides and installation instructions are not the best... if they even come with the product.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
55" Fullsize lightbars and also 30" minibars. I have lost several contracts over the last year because of this to the point that my business is pretty much non-existent now.

Several LE agencies don't like the look of a "sedan size" lightbar on a tahoe/pickup truck.

I attempted to get into the Amber market but many contractors that I know laughed at the idea of the mini bar being called a lightbar and not a beacon due to its very small size. I had one road construction company back out of a 60+ vehicle upfit because of the size of the mini bar, and they were willing to pay upfront for all the equipment too!!!

External flasher and patterns like stated above.

Reactions: Krsdog25

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
^^ I forgot about the larger bars. I'd love to also see a thicker bar better suited for large apparatus use. Maybe a double stacked fusion or using a 7x3 light head for a large light bar. My department would love to put some on, but having a 1" or so tall bar on a big truck isn't going to fly for them.

Reactions: Krsdog25

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
That's limitations of bluetooth. Doing a wireless network would have been a better idea.
I strongly agree with the wifi option and also understand why they didn't go that route (can only be connected to one wifi network at a time)...

I would have to disagree on the bluetooth range limitations- I have other BT devices that can easily communicate between one another over 50 feet away, in different rooms, different floors of buildings, one inside, one outside, etc, without issue. There is simply something wrong or severely limiting the Feniex BT option.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the average bluetooth device range is 32 feet.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Buy I'm not getting anywhere near that, maybe 10-12 ft tops! I also have to reconnect everytime it starts up, it won't automatically connect, like my phone connects to my truck for hands free calling. I have to go into the settings and manually connect. Kinda annoying and defeats their original purpose of being able to change things on the fly while out of the vehicle. They could maybe upgrade it to bluetooth 4.0, since everything is going that way anyways. I hear the range of that is massive!

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I'd like to add to the widelux changes - Make the mounting holes the same as the Whelen 600 series, Whelen 700 series etc for the similar sized units. When I did the swap out of our 3 trucks from older Whelen 600 series strobes to the LED 600 Series...I'd much rather of went with Feniex products but having to make custom brackets just to mount the wideluxs was not an option. I did however mount 4 wideluxs on my other departments trucks and had to make custom brackets. They're really a pain the a$$ to mount in my opinion. Just make it a simple, 4 screw mount just like the Whelen 600/700 series and it'll be a lot better/easier for customers to make the swap due to it being a simple procedure to swap them out.

Reactions: FusionWolf

B2CHN

Aug 2, 2015
Lakewood NJ
1: Rotating pattern like the sound off nroad, freakin love that bar other than the very low output
2: tri mode bars. I respond blue white in NJ, red white in NY. Would love to have a NY mode, NJ mode, flood mode.
3: Apollo with wide optics in vertical position. For PB placement or in grills that will only allow vertical

Last edited:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
3: Apollo with wide optics in vertical position. For PB placement or in grills that will only allow vertical

If the light you are trying to mount to the BG is slightly larger/wider then the BG you might be able to make a plate to hold the light then mount that to the BG. That is what I did

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
I think their 4200 mini needs more outputs, I understand that there might be some limitations with the internal board, but I think they should have put 2 additional buttons in the center instead of the giant feniex logo

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
replacement IR led module for both interior and exterior lightbars (more so ILB's) that could work as a preemption, so that those with ILB's don't have a large dash light hanging down lower than the lightbar obstructing your view even more

WA8IQO

Jun 24, 2011
N-A
(1) Low Power Cruse Mode/Option: Many of your competitor's products offer this feature and a lot of agencies are using cruse mode on a daily basis.

(2) Three Color Lightheads: I really like the Feniex product line. However being in a multi-discipline position I require three different colors of lighting based on what role Im performing in at the given time. For example; When working public safety I require Red or Red/White. When Off the clock I require all amber. So, a light head that offer's Red/White/Amber such as the Whelen Trio would serve my needs. The Whelen Trio's fit the bill but therir so costly form a personal budget standpoint. Plus I rather buy Feniex...

(3) More then Two Flashing Modes: To further build on example two above; Mode #1 - Flashing red/white (Front) with Red/Amber (Rear). Mode #2 - Flashing all Amber (Front & Rear), Mode#3 - Flashing amber/white (Front) with all amber rear. Mode #4 - All White flood. Mode #5 - Cruse in Amber, Mode #6 - Cruse in Red.

(4) Three Response/Use Modes: Three modes of use could be selected by the drive on the fly from one single three position switch or progressive slide switch. Example, position #1 / color/color combination one, position #2 / color/color combination two, position #3 / color/color combination three.

So a responder could select his/her response mode in addition to the type of flashing mode all independently from one another. Follow what I'm trying to explain or did I just confuse ya?

CEVS

Jun 1, 2010
NJ
Full Sync, most importantly the ability to sync light sticks with light bars and other light sticks.

Better siren tones, sound a bit toyish

Tri Color!!!!

Ability to use external flasher.

Ability to datalink a 4200mini or with a 4200 to control a few specific outputs from multiple locations.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Fwiw, the Fusion full size bars do have dimming and 3 flash modes. Sadly, I don't think that they have a cruise mode yet. Perhaps with DataLink some of these more advanced features might be possible?

Last edited:

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
The multi color pricing of feniex T6 light heads is bizarre. It costs $30 extra for an extra 6 leds in a multicolor setup with 12 leds total. According to feniex's own video, each led only costs $1 each. Does that mean a three color light will be 3 times the price?

I understand extra components are required, but surely not enough to have such a large price premium.

Reactions: Juanmolina081392

PanHandleStan

May 20, 2010
FL
The multi color pricing of feniex T6 light heads is bizarre. It costs $30 extra for an extra 6 leds in a multicolor setup with 12 leds total. According to feniex's own video, each led only costs $1 each. Does that mean a three color light will be 3 times the price?

I understand extra components are required, but surely not enough to have such a large price premium.

from what i was told by my dealer... They under priced the single color heads to keep them consistent with the cobra price. In order to balance it out they kept the apollo price in place for dual color heads.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
$25 an hour? i need to move

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Cannon external flasher incompatability- why can't they be set to steady burn and then run by external flasher?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.