What dash light is best for penetrating window tint?

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
I just put a Whelen single red talon in the rear of the Durango which has a decent tint on it and it is still very bright. I have yet to try it on my truck through the factory sun strip though.

THEFLASH

May 21, 2010
ALABAMA
I have 2 of the Strobesnmore D12 dash lights. These things impressed me a lot to say the least. They have TIR optics and are built to last. They put off great off axis light (to be TIR) and from a distance are brighter than the slimlighter I have mounted above them. The only thing I dont like is if they are windshield headliner mounted the flashback is awful and is hard to prevent. If they are mounted lower dash close to the windshield, its not that bad.

It seems I have stepped on some toes regarding the Slimlighter. Don't get me wrong the thing is bright and I love it, but when it comes to price, and off axis output, the Slimlighter loses this battle. The Slimlighter is a great light though and its still on my ride for a reason ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Few guys I work with have Whelen Avengers (linear) and they work well behind the tint. I have Microman Industries bars (Tir) and they also work really well. The Microman bars require you to be kinda handy with installation unlike the Avengers which you just plug in, but there is a big price difference.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
NOTHING touches a tir6 slimlighter from whelen! And i mean NOTHING, I've had lots of different set ups over the years and the slimighter is the brightest light I've found for tint!

May 22, 2010
Central WV
C420sailor said:
My TIR6 Slimlighters and TDWL36 both punch through tint like crazy.

Hummm...I wonder where you got those from :p

Anything TIR will cut through very well. The linear optic work too, but they just won't have the same punch. General rule of thumb is linear to te front and TIR to the rear.

TraFx

Jun 10, 2010
South Carolina
We currently have a 10 head AxixTech Commander Linear R/W bar on the rear deck of our Charger behind 20% tint and it does a pretty good job in the day and a awesome job at night....but it is nowhere near what the new Feniex Python 800 bar in R/W will do. It cuts through the tint just like it was not there both day and night. We decided to put the Python on the push bumper but are replacing the Commander with a Python T-1000. We have had Whelen D4's and the Federal Signal Dual Viper deck mounts all on the rear deck and they have all been good but as the posts above say...TIR is best to the rear. That's my two cents.

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
Theres a video floating around, the Avenger blows the TIR6 Slimlighter out of the water, and its wayyyyy better off axis.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
FDNY 10-75 said:
Theres a video floating around, the Avenger blows the TIR6 Slimlighter out of the water, and its wayyyyy better off axis.

I'd like to see that because i have both in the same colors and the slimlighter is brighter head on but doesn't have off axis, and i plan on selling my avengers to bu more slimlighters!

cory y

May 21, 2010
FDNY 10-75 said:

yeah cause videos are such an accurate representation of a light's "brightness"

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
FDNY 10-75 said:

The OP is asking about the effectivness of getting through tint, not off-axis ability...

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
TritonBoulder47 said:
The OP is asking about the effectivness of getting through tint, not off-axis ability...

I was addressing the lights off-axis brightness through tint...

yeah cause videos are such an accurate representation of a light's "brightness"

I've seen it in person, but anyone could say "pics or it didn't happen" I was just trying to enhance my point...

Also note, in the video, you could tell that the avenger was blowing the slimlighter out of the water. I believe it was a Hugh A video. I will try and find it.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
aberfitchguy2472 said:
Hummm...I wonder where you got those from :p

Anything TIR will cut through very well. The linear optic work too, but they just won't have the same punch. General rule of thumb is linear to te front and TIR to the rear.

[hijack]

Haha I forgot I got I also got the Slimlighters from you! I love the TDWL too, thanks again!

[/hijack]

May 22, 2010
Central WV
C420sailor said:
[hijack]
Haha I forgot I got I also got the Slimlighters from you! I love the TDWL too, thanks again!

[/hijack]

Haha, glad you like all of the lights. :)

Sorry for the slight aside. For going through tint, always TIR style lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.