What do I need for a Cemcom or equivalent build?

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
On one of two Tahoes I’m specing for build later this year, I’m finding myself awash in the various systems available from both Whelen and FS. One is going to be Valor equipped and I would imagine going with a Pathfinder siren and controller is best. The other is going to be my issued vehicle and I require the pillar and spoiler lighting that imo makes the Tahoe pretty spectacular to look at. Feneix and Whelen are the only two who offer this mounting solution as far as I can tell. I’ve opted for Whelen, but find their Outer Edge to be full of options, some I don’t understand. On the Duo and Trio models, is this color per lighthead or just various color lightheads per pillar? Secondly, I see a “low power” model? What’s the idea here? Finally, what’s the simplest programmable system from Whelen? This gets very confusing for an old guy who’s idea of tech was a decked out MX-7000…

Reactions: Dave F

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
On one of two Tahoes I’m specing for build later this year, I’m finding myself awash in the various systems available from both Whelen and FS. One is going to be Valor equipped and I would imagine going with a Pathfinder siren and controller is best. The other is going to be my issued vehicle and I require the pillar and spoiler lighting that imo makes the Tahoe pretty spectacular to look at. Feneix and Whelen are the only two who offer this mounting solution as far as I can tell. I’ve opted for Whelen, but find their Outer Edge to be full of options, some I don’t understand. On the Duo and Trio models, is this color per lighthead or just various color lightheads per pillar? Secondly, I see a “low power” model? What’s the idea here? Finally, what’s the simplest programmable system from Whelen? This gets very confusing for an old guy who’s idea of tech was a decked out MX-7000…
As far as the Whelen stuff.. duo and trio is every lighthead. If you get something from Whelen that is WeCan controlled, you can use a control point, that just has inputs, and WeCan output. Every input you can program a different flash pattern to. If you don’t want to use a control point, an HHS4200 has WeCan built in. The HHS only has outputs that can be programmed as “off” or “on.” It does not have any flashing outputs. Carbide, Cantrol, and Core have flashing outputs, with optional expansion units to offer more outputs.
You mentioned a “low power” model. Are you sure that you didn’t mean “low current?” Low current models are not WeCan controlled. They have input wires, and will flash differently according to what input wires are being powered.

Reactions: kadetklapp

Heineken

Feb 20, 2021
Eastern USA
Low power mode is a dimming mode to reduce the intensity of the LEDs. Primarily used during the night as to not blind motorists if you're blocking traffic or something.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
As far as the Whelen stuff.. duo and trio is every lighthead. If you get something from Whelen that is WeCan controlled, you can use a control point, that just has inputs, and WeCan output. Every input you can program a different flash pattern to. If you don’t want to use a control point, an HHS4200 has WeCan built in. The HHS only has outputs that can be programmed as “off” or “on.” It does not have any flashing outputs. Carbide, Cantrol, and Core have flashing outputs, with optional expansion units to offer more outputs.
You mentioned a “low power” model. Are you sure that you didn’t mean “low current?” Low current models are not WeCan controlled. They have input wires, and will flash differently according to what input wires are being powered.
Yes, low current. My apologies. So if I plan to run this off a non-Whelen cencom or core controller I would want low current?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Yes, low current. My apologies. So if I plan to run this off a non-Whelen cencom or core controller I would want low current?
Not necessarily. With low current, you have input wires that will make certain lightheads flash a certain pattern. There is a “scan-lock” wire, which you can apply momentary power to, to select a pattern from preset patterns within the lightbar. So low current is simple, and basic, it will work with anything that you can send out a steady 12v. If you get a WeCan bar, or WeCanX, you can get a control point. Control points are very cheap. Then you can use the Whelen command software to program the control point. It has multiple input wires. You can program the bar to do whatever you want per input wire. There is much more versatility with WeCan. I would not recommend low current, I like the versatility of WeCan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.