What does the FBI use marked units & uniformed officers 4?

Stendec

May 21, 2010
They police the FBI Academy and FBI facilities. They are full-fledged fed LEOs, I believe that there are in the same 0082 job series as US Capitol Police, US Mint Police and the couple other dozen uniformed federal "police" agencies, like the Hoover Dam Police from the Bureau of Reclamation.

The Federal Protective Service handles policing at a lot of generic federal buildings, at least they did until they got sucked up by DHS, but agencies have the option of maintaining there own police units, as the FBI has done.

Cataloging weird federal agencies is sort of a hobby of mine. I'm still trying to determine if the National Cathedral officers are in the police or security series.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
There is a separate training track for fed uniformed police that I assume they go through, I am confident that they do not go through the FBI Academy or any of the 1811 investigator track training. NPS Ranger would know better than I.

The Secret Service has a similar model - the Uniformed Division guys are fed uniformed police officers, entirely separate from the Secret Service agent pool.

I'd hesitate to say that any of them are "just" federal beat cops - some agencies, like the US Capitol Police, are huge, and get into the shit on a regular basis. Others may have it a little slower, like the National Institute of Standards and Technology Police. But they all have their missions, and bad things can happen anywhere, anytime.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
FBI Police are a little different than Capitol Police. FBI goes through a UPT (uniform patrol training) with the likes of Secret Service UD and others, then they (meaning all agencies) go to agency specific training. Their mission is mostly building and asset protection. USCP is more like Park Police in that they do static posts (like guards) but they also have a larger patrol presence. They will work traffic, answer calls, back up Metro, etc, like a Anywhere, USA PD. FBI PD could do something like chase if needed, but they are more concerned about protecting the buildings and their surroundings.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Since it's DC, I would guess it's a city dept, maybe under metro.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I wonder if you added the US Capitol Police, the NPS Park Police, the other jurisdictions under the NPS, along with all the other fed uniformed agencies policing in DC, if it would turn out to be a lot larger than what Metro DC actually has for itself.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Probably would. There are more cops in DC than citizens

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I'm by no means an expert on FBI training but I believe Stendec is correct. As I understand it the majority of uniformed fed LEO's start out at FLETC in the same basic Uniformed Police Training Program, then receive specialized agency-specific basic training later. CBP and some of the Indian Affairs people may have their own basic track. The traditional FBI Academy seems to me geared more for career Special Agents than uniformed personnel. On the other hand I know USSS folks who got their start in the Uniformed Division.

The US Park Police has jurisdiction in all NPS locations but generally provides its services within the metropolitan areas of DC, NYC and San Francisco. NPS protection rangers provide services throughout the NPS system.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Bitchin' buckle on the Sam Browne belt, i bet those fetch megabucks on the collector's market.

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Stendec said:
They police the FBI Academy and FBI facilities. They are full-fledged fed LEOs, I believe that there are in the same 0082 job series as US Capitol Police, US Mint Police and the couple other dozen uniformed federal "police" agencies, like the Hoover Dam Police from the Bureau of Reclamation.

0083 series are Uniformed Police Officers.

1801 series are Inspectors/Land Management Police Officers (BLM, USFS).

1811 series are Criminal Investigators (BIA, DEA, FBI, etc.)

0025 series are Law Enforcement Park Rangers (NPS, FWS).

TD

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Stendec said:
There is a separate training track for fed uniformed police that I assume they go through, I am confident that they do not go through the FBI Academy or any of the 1811 investigator track training. NPS Ranger would know better than I.

All uniformed police officers go through the FLETC Uniformed Patrol Basic Course. This includes Secret Service Uniformed Division, US Postal Police, FEMA Police, FBI Police. The exception to that are Rangers, who go through LMPTP (Land Management Police Training Program). The US Park Police, although a relatively "standard" policing agency, does attend the LMPTP with the Rangers instead of the Uniformed Patrol Basic. Criminal Investigators, such as Postal Inspectors, Special Agents, Inspector Generals, go through the 1811 course.

The only people who run through the FBI academy are the FBI Criminal Investigators, and some lucky guys from outside the agency who liason on a regular basis. They also offer Executive Leadership training academies and professional development courses.

I believe DC Metro also attends FLETC, but I could be mistaken on that.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Police Officers attend the BIA Police Academy in Artesia, NM at FLETC West. Border Patrol runs their own academy out of Artesia as well.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
NPS Ranger said:
The US Park Police has jurisdiction in all NPS locations but generally provides its services within the metropolitan areas of DC, NYC and San Francisco. NPS protection rangers provide services throughout the NPS system.

USPP also has jurisdiction on parts of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (I-295).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.