What is a "Passive" LED

medicop88

Apr 11, 2011
Rhome, Texas
I keep seeing posts for passive  LED products. I understand that a smart LED has a flasher built in, but what does passive mean? Are they more or less effective?

medicop88

Apr 11, 2011
Rhome, Texas
That's what I have assumed. The dual talon I recently purchased works just fine on 12vdc but does have an internal flasher. It appears to have only six diodes instead of eight though.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
With whelen its either ballast or passive which determined how its wired on the pc board. On a ballast module all the leds are wired in series. A typical module requires 29.6vdc to operate efficiently. A ballast takes the 12vdc and bumps it up to that required voltage. LIN8

A passive module is just that, passive, it requires no external device to modify the voltage supplied. A LIN6 is wired in series and parallel. There are 2 groups of 3 leds with a resistor to reduce the voltage. Each group of leds needs about 11.1vdc. The resistor drops the incoming 13.6vdc down to the 11.1 each group requires.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
roofies?

:postcount:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: medicop88
Mar 23, 2015
Valley View, PA
With whelen its either ballast or passive which determined how its wired on the pc board. On a ballast module all the leds are wired in series. A typical module requires 29.6vdc to operate efficiently. A ballast takes the 12vdc and bumps it up to that required voltage. LIN8

A passive module is just that, passive, it requires no external device to modify the voltage supplied. A LIN6 is wired in series and parallel. There are 2 groups of 3 leds with a resistor to reduce the voltage. Each group of leds needs about 11.1vdc. The resistor drops the incoming 13.6vdc down to the 11.1 each group requires.
Question: Would it be feasible to use a resistor to drop the voltage from a ballast to drive a LIN6 head? My thinking is that it's just a matter of figuring out the correct resistance and ensuring you have a resistor capable of handling the current being passed...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Another tell tale sign of passive vs ballast talon is that you'll hear a (for lack of a better word) "clicking" sound as the light fires (while a passive talon is quiet as it flashes)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.