What is a true manufacturing company? Is it Code 3/Ecco?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Let's hear from those in the know. This will help people looking for information on which companies are trustworthy and which products are reliable.

For this discussion, we'll focus on Code 3 and/or Ecco.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
My old agency ran 2100 series LED bars on all of our cruisers. We had problems with every single one.

The 2100 looks great, it's one of the best looking bars in my opinion. And the LEDs were sufficiently bright, no complaints there. The lack of any sync ability sucked, but that's par for the course of that generation.

Now, the issues. The halogen takedowns and alleys sucked, were halfway blocked by the lense covers, and blew bulbs out left and right. The LED modules never had the same shade of blue module to module. From Green to purple, code 3 sent us every shade of blue except the same shade. And that's if the modules worked. Half of them either didn't work at all, or only worked halfway. The lense covers sucked, they all either yellowed and/or cracked, and the clips rust.

I'll never run a Code 3 bar again.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Code 3 is the brand that I am hoping pulls a comeback after years of stagnating. The pursuit lightbar looks great and the defender was always underappreciated though bulky looking in my opinion. We'll see how they do going forward, but I hope they regain some of their MX7k glory days.

cory y2.0

Oct 24, 2016
DFW
I'll chime in here. I'm a C3 master dealer. I've seen the shit LED bars that c3 put out between the Mx and about 3 yrs ago.

The ledx is a bright head, but no sync and expensive as well. The Optix heads are bright but again no sync.

Now let's go to today. The xtp series of light heads are bad ass. The xtp4doublestack multicolor is one of the brightest heads for its size out there. And the xtp series is affordable. The cd5051 series is the slimmest light available and its bright. I can't keep the mega thin series of lights in stock. They are bright and priced right.

The light bars that c3 is pushing today are damn good. The 21trplus is a bar that can be fully sync'ed or semi random. Programmable. The TD and Alleys are nice and bright. It's also available is economy torus 3, torus4 heads, 6 diode linear, 9 diode linear, and dual colour. So theres ways to build up a bar that fits your budget.
Personally I'm not a fan of the 27 series lightbar. But the defender and pursuit bars are simply insane. They are very bright and effective.

The Matrix system is a few years behind whelen and blueprint, but once fully implemented will provide much of the same functionality.

Oh and tricolour lightbar in any combination you want, including green.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Honestly, I haven't laid hands on a Code 3 product in several years. My experience prevented me from even being interested in their product line.

However, it is nice to hear some positive feedback from someone in-the-know. I'll have to bring myself up to date with their more recent products.

It's funny, of all of the people and businesses I know in the industry, Code 3 and Federal Signal are very rarely the dominant brand represented. That doesn't mean you're not out there, it's just rare to hear feedback from you. In terms of market share, of course they're 2/3 of the Big 3... but that's because of government contracts.

cory y2.0

Oct 24, 2016
DFW
Here's something else to consider, C3 offers tri color in multiple types of light heads, the mega thin, the mr6, the Chase. Two power wires with three modes. The HBMicroPak is a nice flush mount light that can go lots of places and is nearly flush with the body. Single and dual colour.

Now for some negatives. I'll be blunt and say there are things that c3 doesn't do well, but is working on actively.

First is the Hideaways. I dont use them. I don't stock them and dont promote them. I dont like the flash and light spread

Arrowsticks and warning sticks. The megathin stick is the best thing they have. Its not as cheap as other products out there but it's a damn good light. Multiple lengths yo to 35 inches. Color combos are limited, but it's being improved upon. I dont carry the xt series of sticks, just too expensive.

The Supervisor I really like. 3 heads per side, but they are the same heads as in the 21tr. So they are big. Good flash. The citadel is a good spoiler mount light. same concept as the supervisor, just in the rear. Available in independent flash and synchronised with xtp or megathin heads. So theres availability to match your budget.

Ok truth time.

Yes some of their products are built outside the USA. Not going to deny that. But everything was designed and specced here. Does that mean it's a subpar light? No not in the least. Personally I dont give a damn where somethings built as long as the quality is there and the price point is right. This isn't speedtech bullshit guys.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about c3 to the best of my ability.

Reactions: SoFlaDep

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Here's something else to consider, C3 offers tri color in multiple types of light heads, the mega thin, the mr6, the Chase. Two power wires with three modes. The HBMicroPak is a nice flush mount light that can go lots of places and is nearly flush with the body. Single and dual colour.

Now for some negatives. I'll be blunt and say there are things that c3 doesn't do well, but is working on actively.

You're the first person I've heard mention that, honestly. I'm interested to see what's ahead.

First is the Hideaways. I dont use them. I don't stock them and dont promote them. I dont like the flash and light spread

Arrowsticks and warning sticks. The megathin stick is the best thing they have. Its not as cheap as other products out there but it's a damn good light. Multiple lengths yo to 35 inches. Color combos are limited, but it's being improved upon. I dont carry the xt series of sticks, just too expensive.

The Supervisor I really like. 3 heads per side, but they are the same heads as in the 21tr. So they are big. Good flash. The citadel is a good spoiler mount light. same concept as the supervisor, just in the rear. Available in independent flash and synchronised with xtp or megathin heads. So theres availability to match your budget.

Ok truth time.

Yes some of their products are built outside the USA. Not going to deny that. But everything was designed and specced here. Does that mean it's a subpar light? No not in the least. Personally I dont give a damn where somethings built as long as the quality is there and the price point is right. This isn't speedtech bullshit guys.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about c3 to the best of my ability.

Imported is fine. Scamming consumers with subpar imported crap is another thing, especially when you have entire marketing teams dedicated to misleading the industry.

Just because it's made in the US doesn't mean it's the best product. The brand is responsible for for the quality of the product they sell, even if it's imported. That's why there are many dealers in our industry that do well with imported products... quality testing, quality control, consumer feedback all play a role in their product lines.

Honestly, I haven't felt that's the case with Code 3 since they stepped foot into the LED market, so I'm interested to see how it goes.

The last Code 3 product I owned was the Oscilaser. I think their strobe products were good too, though, and we know they did very well in the halogen market.

cory y2.0

Oct 24, 2016
DFW
I can't tell you the exact products coming out, I was sworn to secrecy by factory reps. But i can say that they are developing new products using existing products. They are doing this to fill some holes in the product line.

There is also a new product in the works that will greatly ease the headache of exterior mirror and grill lighting. Think: no more angle adapters.

They factory reps have also bought items from my shop that were made by other manufacturers to model new products after.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Remember when Brooking released the Torrent and everyone lost their mind saying there was no need for dual color, and that it wasn't truly dual color unless it was a single LED?

Good times!

Last edited:
Reactions: cory y2.0

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
Well I need to chime in very late in this. I have been a longtime customer, distributor and now rep for Cd3. I have to say I too, Like Cory y2.0 to standby. I am a very Vocal rep. to Cd3 upper mgnt about "things". Cd3 fell asleep for 4 years. After I retired from L.E. I owned a large distributorship, back then it was Code 3 coming out with new products all the time. However, I guess the engineers got tired and fell asleep for those 4 years and everybody else ran right buy us. Ecco, bought us 4+ years back and slowly has made many internal changes to personnel (needed changes). They are bring in people that are versed in the industry and new engineers, young and eager to go. No doubt we have our work still cut out for us. And those you say we buy outside the U.S. Hum, check your cell phones, where are they made? Don't forget almost all emergency manufactures including "W" buys parts from outside the U.S. Also please keep in mind, we design the equipment here then go outside to see who can build it it still is the almighty buck that talks. Some of our lighting we will find outside the U.S. an buy it if we believe it is a good sound product and can take the test of time.

Code 3 has in St. Louis our on certified testing facility and lab. All product goes through testing before we put it out to our customers. But one thing we do, is stand by our distributors and products. If it fails we replace PDQ. The person above that said that he had 2100 problems with every one of them, I sold over 589 2100 maybe 20-35 had minor issues which were fixed in minutes. But there was a run in 2004 where there was "RF" interference with a new radio that either turn the LED-X lights on if they were off or on if they were on..? after we sent out from the factory an engineer who found that problem, we kicked out over 160 new boards and hired my crew to change out everyone of those boards and they worked fine.

Ecco & Code 3 have 2 independent manufacturing locations. Boise for ECCO, St. Louis for Code 3. All the engineers (ECCO 7 Code 3) talk and meet regularly so you will see crossover products. I've bee using selling and representing Code 3 for 35 years now so I can say just watch this year).

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Code 3 2100/2700/Excal bars are my favorite to do updates on. I have built and upgraded many, using both Code 3, and Feniex products. Have a old code 3 bar without an arrowstik, and want one added? buy yourself a Feniex Fusion 600, 6 L Brackets, and 6 fusion bezels, and you have a brand new, perfectly functioning arrowstik, with decent patterns, and no specialized controller.

Want to update your excal? both LEDX and Optix modules from the 2100, 21TR, etc all fit in the lower deck, and are fairly readily available used. or, Fexiex Fusions and T3s, on L Brackets fit, with mild modifications to the L Brackets.

Far easier to work with than most other manufacturers!

Im also currently working on a project where im replacing the MR-11 halogen TD and Alley with Feniex Cannons...once it's done, I will share Pics and video!

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
For Cory y2.0, the expansion mods, supervisors, rear citadels & wingman's plus our NODES are to be released this April, so far reports I'm hearing have been pretty good. I'm sure your up on this too. And I just received the true multicolored outliner (running board) lights are very nice.

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
My old agency ran 2100 series LED bars on all of our cruisers. We had problems with every single one.

The 2100 looks great, it's one of the best looking bars in my opinion. And the LEDs were sufficiently bright, no complaints there. The lack of any sync ability sucked, but that's par for the course of that generation.

Now, the issues. The halogen takedowns and alleys sucked, were halfway blocked by the lense covers, and blew bulbs out left and right. The LED modules never had the same shade of blue module to module. From Green to purple, code 3 sent us every shade of blue except the same shade. And that's if the modules worked. Half of them either didn't work at all, or only worked halfway. The lense covers sucked, they all either yellowed and/or cracked, and the clips rust.

I'll never run a Code 3 bar again.
FINALLY! someone else who recognizes the shade-of-blue issue with C3!! Thought I was going crazy! We got a bunch of MR6 dual color lights and then a bunch of Mega Thins and HOLY CRAP - NOT EVEN CLOSE!! The MR6's were the darkest shade of blue (royal blue) that I've ever seen on "big brand" warning lights.....BUT not horrible. However, the Mega Thins were like Green! They were Tri Color, so we thought maybe the RW was just screwing with out eyes, but sure enough on just blue it was still almost green )like a teal color. We have noticed some slight differences in all other brands (whelen, FS, SOS and Feniex....especially Feniex), but never this drastic. HOW is this possible?? How can a company not catch this before packaging???

Reactions: JohnMarcson

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
FINALLY! someone else who recognizes the shade-of-blue issue with C3!! Thought I was going crazy! We got a bunch of MR6 dual color lights and then a bunch of Mega Thins and HOLY CRAP - NOT EVEN CLOSE!! The MR6's were the darkest shade of blue (royal blue) that I've ever seen on "big brand" warning lights.....BUT not horrible. However, the Mega Thins were like Green! They were Tri Color, so we thought maybe the RW was just screwing with out eyes, but sure enough on just blue it was still almost green )like a teal color. We have noticed some slight differences in all other brands (whelen, FS, SOS and Feniex....especially Feniex), but never this drastic. HOW is this possible?? How can a company not catch this before packaging???
O2 Warnings, Even as a Rep. I see many of our lights have difference variances. When Code 3 buys the LED's from the manufacturers like FS, Whelen, we log the lot number because we see this again and again. If the lights are purchased at seperate times especially a few years apart you will see a big hue difference. But if you received them together and they are not the same contact Code 3, rep that services your area, see what they can do for you up to repolacements.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.