What is a true manufacturing company? Is It Star/SVP?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Let's hear from those in the know. This will help people looking for information on which companies are trustworthy and which products are reliable.

For this discussion, we'll focus on Star/SVP.

Solution
@Cleaning Traffic your info is mistrued.. according to research i posted in another thread "Made in the usa" rules only apply to autmotive manufacturing and textile operations.. not warning lights

I could have sworn the words "in my opinion" were before the message in my statement referring to the worthiness of MADE IN THE USA branding!

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
This is a hard question to answer (for me) because while I'm not a big fan of their halogen revolving lights, I've never used their LED products but hear they're very good. I don't think it would be fair to rate them based solely on the one or two halogen products I'm familiar with.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Their LED stuff is a mixed bag, and I think it's due to what they were able to produce without violating existing patents. Some of their optics are quite impressive, while others are expensive with very little effective return.

Reactions: Thebakerman
Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Interesting that this topic came up, as I think their LED products are phenomenal! Lights, flashers and switches/controllers especially. Been using their products for years. Interesting because someone brought up in a previous post about their outsourcing. There are 3 major components to production of ANY product: Design, Manufacturing and Assembly. In my opinion, ALL 3 must be done in the USA in order for a company to label their products "MADE IN THE USA". As soon as it is learned that just one of these components are being done in another country, then the product is not worthy as being labeled as such, but this doesn't mean that it doesn't perform well. I have used and sold many products who outsource all or some of these 3 components (Code 3, Federal Signal, Soundoff to name a few) and obviously perform just as well as Whelen, Star, Feniex, etc. I have also used and sold emergency vehicle lighting (and audible) parts imported directly from other countries that not only perform just as well as the "top brands) but offer the same 5 year warranty as well (Abrams Manufacturing, LED Equipped, Whacker, etc.). Moral of my story? Outsourcing puts your product at risk of being bootlegged.

Reactions: SoFlaDep and RS485
Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Their LED stuff is a mixed bag, and I think it's due to what they were able to produce without violating existing patents. Some of their optics are quite impressive, while others are expensive with very little effective return.
Although violating patents from a company like Star would be surprising to me, I don't doubt anything anymore, especially in this industry. It takes the most minute deviation to protect someone from patent infringement, like merely switching from positive to negative power/ground source for example.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
@Cleaning Traffic your info is mistrued.. according to research i posted in another thread "Made in the usa" rules only apply to autmotive manufacturing and textile operations.. not warning lights

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States

If you're right, you're right. But don't expect to build trust with your customer base if you're going to insult their intelligence... no matter who the company is.

Reactions: Cleaning Traffic
Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky

I could have sworn the words "in my opinion" were before the message in my statement referring to the worthiness of MADE IN THE USA branding!

Solution

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.