What is a true manufacturing company? Is it Tomar?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Let's hear from those in the know. This will help people looking for information on which companies are trustworthy and which products are reliable.

For this discussion, we'll focus on Tomar?

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I've always been fascinated by their products and their bizarre design choices (exterior lightbar stick, completely open to the elements, with the expectation water will "drain" out the gaps in the front lens holder, while the electronics are completely unsealed and exposed to the elements).

But I can't find a single decent online store to purchase their products from.

Trying to research and purchase their products is a total pain in the ass.

Do they even want to sell directly to end users?

Do they even want to be in business?

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
It's an interesting design.

Giant twin i beam main bar makes it stupid heavy, but a great heatsink for the led light heads.

The lightheads are interchangeable from incandescent/strobe/led.

The led optics are uniquely tomar.

And best of all, it completely ignores providing angled intersection protection to the rear, a concept federal signal would later copy with the integrity light bar.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
In its day the Tomar Heliobe strobe bar was wicked and bright. The strobe modules were sealed so you could not swap out lens colors. Had a 10 year warranty. I liked the clicking noise they made. You could do Pre-emption so the front four strobes would pick up speed to make stop lights green.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I've always liked Tomar and their neobe bars. I also used to run a Tomar Police Light II, which was a terrific dash light. It seemed as though they were doing well with the transition to LEDs with their "cheerio" style optics. Though expensive, the Blade was a great and great looking lightbar with a mix of LED styles. After the scorpion came out it seemed they hit pause for a number of years. I have seen their new dual color external lights, but I am hoping that they have a new lightbar or other products out soon.

Reactions: Tony P

swbcvfd09

May 26, 2010
Ding Dong Texas
I like tomar lights have purchased lights for a Tahoe setup on a chiefs Tahoe. Lil pricey, install is fairly easy. I recently looked at the insides of the spider ILB and its built very well and friggin bright. The scorpion lightbars are crazy bright and have awesome flash patterns. but still pricey.

smallish

May 8, 2020
Fremont, CA
never mind I found the Blade lightbar, but I think that's pretty much it? Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like the only low-profile lightbar by Tomar.

Last edited:

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
TOMAR sucks on every level besides brightness.

Technology, options, innovation, availability, general information on their products, are all lacking.

They recently fired their national sales manager. So maybe that'll help a little bit.

I mean when your "flagship" lightbar has crown Victoria marketing material, you know it's time to update.

We service an agency in my area and they literally have boxes of lightsheads every month being sent back for warranty. It's absolutely pathetic.

Reactions: Tony P

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I disagree - Tomar sucks on brightness too.

When they first released the scorpion lightbar, I couldn't believe how dim their 6 led modules were.

They've made improvements, including 3 website redesigns in the past 2 years, but it still surprises me they are still in business.

Their products are expensive and hard to shop for via an online website - it's no wonder they're trying directed to consumer sales from their website now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.