What is a true manufacturing company? Is it Whelen Engineering?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Let's hear from those in the know. This will help people looking for information on which companies are trustworthy and which products are reliable.

For this discussion, we'll focus on Whelen Engineering.

Solution
I think whelen and (possibly soundoff signal) are the only 2 companies that have been shown on camera to be nearly 100% vertically integrated (products are manufactured from scratch).

From time to time, I like to check out their website, click on "new products" and see if they're still sticking to their ideals.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Reactions: Nolines

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I think whelen and (possibly soundoff signal) are the only 2 companies that have been shown on camera to be nearly 100% vertically integrated (products are manufactured from scratch).

From time to time, I like to check out their website, click on "new products" and see if they're still sticking to their ideals.

Solution
Let me throw this website into the ring here, I have tried to contact them many time to see about trying to order or pricing and never any reply, they may be associated but not allowed to sell or contact anyone in the US. the listings all say whelen and other various whelen parts but lists led products with SL6 strobe power supplies... and I believe some pics are whelens'
Id love to know the deal with this comapany

1640647427917.png

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
Whelen buys its raw copper and manufactures everything from wire to coating on up to lenses for its bars to be made in America 78% must be made in America , Whelen sits at 97% made in America ,so I would definitely say they are manufacturing . Made from the best stuff on earth

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It is pretty widely known I am a Whelen fan, and probably have a personal bias towards liking their products. However, since I am not a dealer of new products made by any company and just buy, sell and trade older equipment, I feel like I really don't have a "car in the race" as far as the current state of companies in this industry.

Whelen, IMHO, is the least scared of trying new things. Many of their products go through several (usually backwards compatible) versions. I like to see that they innovate and advance the industry without losing touch with what is actually needed. Their halogen rotators were never the backbone of their product line but had several redesigns throughout the years as feedback on the units in the field was noted. Many companies would call the first generation "good enough" when it comes to a product that isn't their main line. While strobes were always the area where Whelen excelled, they were able to see the tide turning to LED and retrofitted current products with LEDs without making "just an old bar filled with new guts" like some other companies. As the technology developed their LED offerings took over for their strobes at a rate that didn't make their existing units in the field obsolete.

Their CORE control system is by far the most versatile and easy to build I have ever used, but they still offer "dumb lightheads" and electronic flashers. Their sirens can be fully integrated into a system or you can install a standalone unit. The product line is wide but not bloated. You can build any system you need from start to finish. Considering their commitment to quality and in house and ground up manufacturing, their pricing is in line with their quality and the industry.

As far as standing behind a product I have never had a company (except Sound Off) service discontinued or older model equipment that fails once out of warranty or due to abuse/misuse. I had a siren that a crew dumped an entire thermos of coffee into. For the cost of shipping plus $65 they repaired it and sent it back good as new. This siren was years out of warranty and had been preplaced by a new (but similar) model. You can't beat that kind of commitment to standing behind a product.

In my opinion Whelen comes as close to being a full design and manufacturing company as you can get in modern times without losing volume and causing skyrocketing prices.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
It is pretty widely known I am a Whelen fan, and probably have a personal bias towards liking their products. However, since I am not a dealer of new products made by any company and just buy, sell and trade older equipment, I feel like I really don't have a "car in the race" as far as the current state of companies in this industry.

Whelen, IMHO, is the least scared of trying new things. Many of their products go through several (usually backwards compatible) versions. I like to see that they innovate and advance the industry without losing touch with what is actually needed. Their halogen rotators were never the backbone of their product line but had several redesigns throughout the years as feedback on the units in the field was noted. Many companies would call the first generation "good enough" when it comes to a product that isn't their main line. While strobes were always the area where Whelen excelled, they were able to see the tide turning to LED and retrofitted current products with LEDs without making "just an old bar filled with new guts" like some other companies. As the technology developed their LED offerings took over for their strobes at a rate that didn't make their existing units in the field obsolete.

Their CORE control system is by far the most versatile and easy to build I have ever used, but they still offer "dumb lightheads" and electronic flashers. Their sirens can be fully integrated into a system or you can install a standalone unit. The product line is wide but not bloated. You can build any system you need from start to finish. Considering their commitment to quality and in house and ground up manufacturing, their pricing is in line with their quality and the industry.

As far as standing behind a product I have never had a company (except Sound Off) service discontinued or older model equipment that fails once out of warranty or due to abuse/misuse. I had a siren that a crew dumped an entire thermos of coffee into. For the cost of shipping plus $65 they repaired it and sent it back good as new. This siren was years out of warranty and had been preplaced by a new (but similar) model. You can't beat that kind of commitment to standing behind a product.

In my opinion Whelen comes as close to being a full design and manufacturing company as you can get in modern times without losing volume and causing skyrocketing prices.
Ah but that doesn't apply to everything I sent hardware to them that's maybe a little more than 10-15 years old or the max and they're like well we don't have the parts to fix that anymore but they still want their $135 to look at it and tell you there's nothing that they can do because they junked all the rest of the stuff, but as long as their stuff is newer and still somewhere within their areas of selling yeah they'll support it but them getting the parts right that you request after giving them the correct part numbers that we were given by another Wayland person and come back with where's the rest of it that I ordered and this isn't what I ordered that kind of tends to get on you especially if you had an order disappear for 2 years oh it's being shipped it's going out eventually it yeah okay when and it never does though I'm still a whelen person more than anybody else in the world maybe

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.