What is the best interior light bar these days?

Cj80

Jun 17, 2023
KY
So I was promoted to detective about a year ago and on July 1 they’re ordering me a new Silverado. My supervisor and I visited the up-fitters we’re switching to as they hosted an open house. At the open house were reps from sound off signal, Whelan, code 3 etc.

My question is, what would you all suggest for an interior light bar and grill lights etc.? I was told I could pick whatever brand and lights I want, where to put them etc. so obviously I’m giving my equipment some thought… I’m use to just using whatever they give me.

I found this forum and it is seems like a lot of good knowledge here from some industry insiders. FWIW, my agency has always used Code 3 with good luck, my current unit has a code 3 thin supervisor, but I saw the whelen’s offering of the interior bar and liked it pretty well. I’m also not opposed to like two of the dual avengers they had there. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

If cost doesn’t matter, I would probably forget about Code 3. I work for a Whelen distributor, so thats what I choose. But from there, what is your end goal? Stealthy? Versatile? How often will you be using it? How bright do you need it? If you dont need to be super stealthy, an Inner Edge FST, or XLP is really nice, especially if you get a WeCanX version. If you aren’t going to use it that much, and don’t want to stick out much, Ive put many Avengers in detectives and undercover cars, and they work pretty well, and can be hidden pretty well with a tint strip across the windshield. If you go the Avenger route, if you aren’t using a Cencom setup, and are just using switches, I recommend the Avenger with the cig plug, and cutting that off and hard wiring. The cig plug version offers different “modes.” Ie; you can program a single wire to flash 3 different colors(red, blue, white) and another single wire to have a steady override(white). If you go with the hardwire version, each wire on the lighthead is assigned a color. So you can’t have white flashing, and also have white be a steady override.
Soundoff Signal makes great stuff too, Im just not familiar with their line, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Sound Off is a good company if you aren't building a full system or are looking to save money. Otherwise Whelen is going to be the best fitting, have the most options, and integrate into a full system that you can actually edit yourself if need be.

Federal doesn't really speak to this market IMHO and Code 3 is essentially indistinguishable from the Chinese knockoffs to me at this point.

-Full system with a budget; Whelen
-Just a bar and a few other lights on a budget; Sound Off
-Code 3 is my last choice.

Reactions: Sparky_911
If cost doesn’t matter, I would probably forget about Code 3. I work for a Whelen distributor, so thats what I choose. But from there, what is your end goal? Stealthy? Versatile? How often will you be using it? How bright do you need it? If you dont need to be super stealthy, an Inner Edge FST, or XLP is really nice, especially if you get a WeCanX version. If you aren’t going to use it that much, and don’t want to stick out much, Ive put many Avengers in detectives and undercover cars, and they work pretty well, and can be hidden pretty well with a tint strip across the windshield. If you go the Avenger route, if you aren’t using a Cencom setup, and are just using switches, I recommend the Avenger with the cig plug, and cutting that off and hard wiring. The cig plug version offers different “modes.” Ie; you can program a single wire to flash 3 different colors(red, blue, white) and another single wire to have a steady override(white). If you go with the hardwire version, each wire on the lighthead is assigned a color. So you can’t have white flashing, and also have white be a steady override.
Soundoff Signal makes great stuff too, Im just not familiar with their line, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Good deal. That Whelen inner edge is slick, seemed like it may be brighter than the code 3 supervisor, too. I don’t need to be super covert, honestly I can’t see any lights behind a tint strip.

What’s the price difference between a whelen inner edge and the code 3? When I need to use them I’d like them to be bright, I mean why not, right?

Sound Off is a good company if you aren't building a full system or are looking to save money. Otherwise Whelen is going to be the best fitting, have the most options, and integrate into a full system that you can actually edit yourself if need be.

Federal doesn't really speak to this market IMHO and Code 3 is essentially indistinguishable from the Chinese knockoffs to me at this point.

-Full system with a budget; Whelen
-Just a bar and a few other lights on a budget; Sound Off
-Code 3 is my last choice.
So sounds like whelen is at the top of the game these days? That’s interesting, we have code 3 bars from 2012 still working to this day on some of our old spare units and we went with that pursuit bar with the dual layer of white and blue on our newest units… very slick bar light, or so I thought.

With that said I’m open to trying the whelen, especially since they seem not to care much what I get. What is the cost difference between the code 3 thin supervisor and the inner edge?

My current unit has the code 3 version of the tracers below the doors… pretty decent output from those. I may just go with a couple like 6 head grill lights down below the door… I’m sure they’re over a grand per side for the whelen tracers

I just do the installs, I don’t deal with pricing. The price for Whelen has some variables depending on your distributor, and if you are just buying a bar, or buying a package deal, promotional item, etc… We are also a Code 3 dealer, but none of my departments get anything Code 3 anymore. I have one department that had us re-use a Z3 siren system on a car that was being changed from a chiefs car into a patrol car, and I was really not impressed with that system. Im not saying that its bad equipment, but its just not on the same level as Whelen.

I just do the installs, I don’t deal with pricing. The price for Whelen has some variables depending on your distributor, and if you are just buying a bar, or buying a package deal, promotional item, etc… We are also a Code 3 dealer, but none of my departments get anything Code 3 anymore. I have one department that had us re-use a Z3 siren system on a car that was being changed from a chiefs car into a patrol car, and I was really not impressed with that system. Im not saying that its bad equipment, but its just not on the same level as Whelen.
Understandable

Code 3 is usable, but around here it comes in at the same price as Sound Off, which is made in Michigan and has great support and quality products. So if budget is a problem I go Sound Off vs. Code 3. I think the Sound Off has a better build quality and fit. All modern LEDs (including knockoffs) are bright, it's the build quality, fit, and company you are looking) paying for. I have recently dealt with all three listed brands and the only in that had me shaking my head was Code 3. Their control system is buggy and not intuitive, the bars fit poorly and the support I got was less than helpful. The Sound Off was going on a very new vehicle and didn't fit quite right, I made one phone call and an entire new mounting and trim kit with shipped to me at no cost. I was also asked to take some measurements so they could properly get that vehicle's model year mounts altered. I had a question about Whelen's control software (downloadable on their site with tutorial) and not only did the local dealer assist me but even after I was done I got to follow up call from the company making sure there wasn't a warranty issue. It just seemed to me like both Sound Off and Whelen as companies and their dealers really cared about how the products worked out for my agency and this was not a huge purchase. Conversely, the agency I always helping with the Code 3 stuff had made a relatively large purchase and I felt like I was pulling teeth from a non sedated tiger to get any sort of information about refitting things.

I'm not saying to completely avoid code 3 based on the product alone (although I don't think it's the best one out there). I think you could make modern code 3 products work just fine. I just feel like there's two other options out there at both ends of your price point spectrum that are better options.

@NoLimitSquads seems to have the same sort of attitude that I have gotten from other installers for Whelen. If they can't help me, they have rapidly passed me along to someone who can and they all seem to care about the overall customer experience and usability of the product at the end of the day.

Code 3 is usable, but around here it comes in at the same price as Sound Off, which is made in Michigan and has great support and quality products. So if budget is a problem I go Sound Off vs. Code 3. I think the Sound Off has a better build quality and fit. All modern LEDs (including knockoffs) are bright, it's the build quality, fit, and company you are looking) paying for. I have recently dealt with all three listed brands and the only in that had me shaking my head was Code 3. Their control system is buggy and not intuitive, the bars fit poorly and the support I got was less than helpful. The Sound Off was going on a very new vehicle and didn't fit quite right, I made one phone call and an entire new mounting and trim kit with shipped to me at no cost. I was also asked to take some measurements so they could properly get that vehicle's model year mounts altered. I had a question about Whelen's control software (downloadable on their site with tutorial) and not only did the local dealer assist me but even after I was done I got to follow up call from the company making sure there wasn't a warranty issue. It just seemed to me like both Sound Off and Whelen as companies and their dealers really cared about how the products worked out for my agency and this was not a huge purchase. Conversely, the agency I always helping with the Code 3 stuff had made a relatively large purchase and I felt like I was pulling teeth from a non sedated tiger to get any sort of information about refitting things.

I'm not saying to completely avoid code 3 based on the product alone (although I don't think it's the best one out there). I think you could make modern code 3 products work just fine. I just feel like there's two other options out there at both ends of your price point spectrum that are better options.

@NoLimitSquads seems to have the same sort of attitude that I have gotten from other installers for Whelen. If they can't help me, they have rapidly passed me along to someone who can and they all seem to care about the overall customer experience and usability of the product at the end of the day.
Wow good to know, thank you

Would you say on average whelen is more expensive?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much more is whelen than the others generally? Is that inner edge the brightest it seems?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightbar startup