What is the difference between an SX Liberty and an SL Liberty?

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I am working on a 2009 Liberty. It is an SL model. I have only toyed with SX bars so far and I am unfamiliar with the SL designation. What do I have? (I already used search and Google)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I would think that it would designate different options within the I/O Board... But I can't be for certain... I'm sure Steve (emtanderson51) could answer this...

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
Found this sometime ago here and saved it:

SL: Standard corner liberty

SX: Extended corner liberty

SE: Economy LIN9 corner liberty (Discontinued to my knowledge)

SW: WeCan Liberty

The number coming after the SL, SX, SE...

4: 44"

8: 48"

2: 54"

T/A:

All new styles ('05 & up) have built in 2 wire T/A from the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
jluisi86 said:

T/A:

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your information. I was unable to find out what the "SL" meant on my own..

The complete model number of this SL bar I am building is: SL8GY5

SL = Standard corners.

8 = 48"

G = ?

Y = ?

5 = ?

I found this today. I don't totally understand it - yet.

(Liberty) LEGEND:

* = Replace * in model number with lens color desired: A=Amber; B=Blue; C=Clear; G=Green; R=Red

§ = Replace symbols with number of colored LED lightheads required (maximum 12 modules).

Order of colors in Model Number are Red, Blue, Amber and White. Use X=12, Y=11 & Z=10.

i.e. SLD2222 = 2 Red, 2 Blue, 2 Amber & 2 White, SLD0Z020 = 0 Red, 10 Blue, 0 Amber & 2 White

The Legend being taken from the chart of Liberty variations in this .pdf document:

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/ProductSheets/Lightbars/LFL_Liberty_Series_Linear-LED_Lightbar.pdf

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
I tried searching the whole number and parts of it and have found nothing. More twist and turns! Might want to try Whelen tech support, maybe they can give you some info on it.

EDIT: You edited your last post as i was typing mine, nice find!

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
The SE and SL have both been discontinued by Whelen. The SL indicated the short LIN12 corners. As for the lettering after the PN it is most likely a specific model that they made many of. The DPS bars out of Texas along with the bars I got out of San Antonio both had lettered part numbers after the traditional FX and UB28 common part#. How was the bar originally configured and where is it from? The MSP DUO bars have their own part # after the regular designation....SB8MSP...

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
*************** said:
Interesting, the designation that I typically see is SX8RRBB which I understand to be the 48" with extended corners, with the four corner colors being red, red, blue, blue.

Anyone see these part numbers?
Hi, Jared

Yep, those numbers are the way the last dozen, or so, bars I customized were labeled: SX8 followed by four Alpha characters - primarily SX8AAAA. This bar with the SL designation threw me for a loss.

Terry

emtanderson51 said:
The SE and SL have both been discontinued by Whelen. The SL indicated the short LIN12 corners. As for the lettering after the PN it is most likely a specific model that they made many of. The DPS bars out of Texas along with the bars I got out of San Antonio both had lettered part numbers after the traditional FX and UB28 common part#. How was the bar originally configured and where is it from? The MSP DUO bars have their own part # after the regular designation....SB8MSP...
Steve,

Hi. Boulder said you could also shed light on this SL model - :) - Thank you for this information.

Terry

jluisi86 said:

T/A:

This is terrific and welcome information. It is exactly what I was looking for and was unable to find on my own.

Thank you,

Terry

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Jared @ 911Lights said:
Interesting, the designation that I typically see is SX8RRBB which I understand to be the 48" with extended corners, with the four corner colors being red, red, blue, blue.

Anyone see these part numbers?

NP Terry.....the bars that you buy say....10 of get the standard designation ie SX8AABB RRRR BBBB BBWW etc but when they get an order for 100....then the bar gets it's own part number based off the bar type such as SX SW SZ FX etc....most dept's have maybe 5 cars but NYPD MSP DPS FHP do over 100 cars at a time so they get a particular assembly line with it's own part number...

octoberguy77

May 15, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
SL are supposed to be 'Economy' bars with LIN9 corners instead of fully populated LIN12's and LIN4's instead of LIN6 heads. Im not sure about them having short corners...that's the first Ive heard on that.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Im not sure about them having short corners...that's the first Ive heard on that.

Check out the SXKT**** listed on page 3 from Whelen's catalog LB06:

Gzapp65.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.