What should I use on my car ?

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
Thoughts on having a colored lens versus a clear lens for LEDs? I've got a Dodge Charger, and I've got Slimlighter MM over the RVM, and 2 Whelen TIR6 behind the grille (mine are clear now/red LED). They aren't that effective, so I'm going to mount lights on the outside of the grille (and would like to go with a linear head, since my grille tilts ever so slightly downward). The lights behind the grille aren't that noticable, but sometimes people think I'm an LEO if they do happen to see the lights. Would you guys go with red lenses for the lights or screw it, and stick with clear? Just a thought...

I'm probably gonna go with the Tomar Rect25 high power... heard nothing but good things, except expensive! I only wanna make the change once, so why not go big. (other options were Whelen M4, Axixtech Extreme 9) I want good lighting, but not too thick of a light - and the Whelen 500 series is almost half an inch deeper than the others. I have Rect 13's on my license plate, and those are great, but not much off axis. Thanks!

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
You misunderstood. I know the difference between lens color and LED color and what to match with what. Just looking for thoughts if I try to keep it 'stealth' with clear lenses or try to stand out that I'm not an LEO with colored lenses, since these lights will be quite noticable (LEDs will be red no matter what). I haven't decided, as I can see benefits to both sides. Just throwing it out there...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I think, if being confused for being a LEO bothers you, you should go with the colored lenses. There is the plus of no confusion, and the plus of very minimal light loss. Sounds like no negatives to me. Also, in my opinion, I like the colored lenses.

Dan

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Your profile doesn't list a location and you don't mention what state you're in. Around here, grille LED's with red lens would be much more likely to identify you as LE rather than clear lenses, since LE here uses all red or red/blue. Having a Charger with any grille LED's is going to identify you as LE no matter what you do.

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
It was somewhat of a pointless question to throw out there, but I just wanted to see what some opinions were. dmathieu, that was pretty much my thought. NPS, I'm in Mass, where fire use red (and I have a permit for), and police are blue. But I travel to NY and RI for family, and NY police are red, and RI state police are red. I had red microthins on my old truck and I got quite a few looks from Sheriffs while camping up in NY. And NPS, I think you might have made up my mind... Charger with grille lights - no matter the color - will point to LE, and I should just accept it.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i would stick with clear lenses, because you maintain a more stealthy appearance (plus you also don't have to worry as much about ppl giving you certain looks as you drive by, whichever state you're in, IMO since nobody knows what color they are until you activate them when responding to a call in your district). I think that most ppl that work fire/ems/LE that see a charger w/ lights on it will prob suspect some sort of LEO but that's just the nature of the vehicle (like a crown vic), IMHO.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.