What the... MCI bus? Anyone know what this is?

twisted_metal

Jan 22, 2011
Toronto ON, Canada
found it... Google Chrome = Win

Karlsruhe: Einsatzleitwagen 2 you'll need to translate from German to English tho.. or Read this and Look at the Pics.

"Vehicle details:

Year: 2005/06

Manufacturer: Ziegler fire equipment technology (ZFT) Mühlau

Chassis: Neoplan N44 26 / Ü 3

Construction: Ziegler fire equipment technology (ZTF) Mühlau

Engine: DB OM 501 LA / 260 kW

Gearbox: Automatic transmission, Voith D 864.3 E / retarder

Vehicle length: 12,000 mm (39 feet 4 7⁄16")

Vehicle width: 2550 mm (8 feet 2 27⁄64")

Overall height: 4000mm (13 feet 1 31⁄64")

Gross weight: 22,000 kg

Operating weight: 19,399 kg

Steering axles front and trailing, Axle centerline driven, air suspension, disc brakes

Special features:

- Top speed 100 km / h

- GPS navigation and reversing camera

- fluorescent red paint RAL 3024

- Power Generator Panda 30 KVA

- Heating Webasto - hot water heater 35 kW

- Air Conditioning Two split air conditioners with 5 heat exchangers, cooling capacity 20 kW

- Smoke detectors in the equipment room with reporting to work

- On-board compressor for compressed air maintenance during operation

- Druckluftsnachluss (i dunno Google didn't Translate)

- Float

- external start socket and an external power supply 400V / 32A

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
C420sailor said:
Underlit and undermarked, IMO.

Seriously?? It's a doubledecker bus in fluorecent orange paint (local emergency color) with siren, strobes in the grille and on top! ...and a topspeed of 100kmh. More lights would't help this rigg much, IMO, only a good driver....

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
runesson said:
Seriously?? It's a doubledecker bus in fluorecent orange paint (local emergency color) with siren, strobes in the grille and on top! ...and a topspeed of 100kmh. More lights would't help this rigg much, IMO, only a good driver....

Four out of six of the lights are about 20' up, rendering them quite useless at close ranges. A siren is all well and good, but not if you can't tell which vehicle it is coming from.

Didn't know about orange being an emergency color.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
C420sailor said:
Four out of six of the lights are about 20' up, rendering them quite useless at close ranges. A siren is all well and good, but not if you can't tell which vehicle it is coming from.

Didn't know about orange being an emergency color.
The vast majority of fire/EMS vehicles in Germany are fluorescent orange - see this YT channel for details.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
High up lights, no intersection lights, and yet it got better ROW than the emergency vehicles that are lit up like carnival rides. :bonk:

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
twodogs603 said:
Very interesting. Did you notice the rear wheel steer??

A great many German commercial vehicles have that feature. Narrow streets and sharp turns being the primary reason. Saw tomes of that kind of thing when I was stationed there for 5 years.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
The graphics on this side looked like a satellite / radio graphic. There are MCI buses in the US known as Big Blue that come into disaster areas and act as communications infrastructure until service is restored. Not sure if this is something similar, or might be a moble communications / command post. I'd be curious to see what deploys out of the roof of that unit if it is one of those. If they had height and width restrictions because of the streets, there may be all kinds of toys that come out of the roof. I'm basing this solely on the graphics though.

Guess it could also be a mass casualty unit since they were going into an Emergency Room.

Hopefully one of the people who read German will know what some of the markings are.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
MESDA6 said:
The graphics on this side looked like a satellite / radio graphic. There are MCI buses in the US known as Big Blue that come into disaster areas and act as communications infrastructure until service is restored. Not sure if this is something similar, or might be a moble communications / command post. I'd be curious to see what deploys out of the roof of that unit if it is one of those. If they had height and width restrictions because of the streets, there may be all kinds of toys that come out of the roof. I'm basing this solely on the graphics though.

Guess it could also be a mass casualty unit since they were going into an Emergency Room.

Hopefully one of the people who read German will know what some of the markings are.

+1 on the graphics as thats what I was thinking. So yeah, just need that German translation! hahaha

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
hey texas.

beat that!

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Resfireman30 said:
ai237.photobucket.com_albums_ff119_resfireman30_DPD_THOR_Michels1.jpg

remember this guy?

That was not built or designed in Texas, nor do I recall that it was actually used at Super Bowl XLV as planned. It was shown in Dallas back in November 2010 before the Super Bowl.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Its called a BOULDER BUS it usually responds to when ever boulder falls down or gets sick its full of KFC double downs on the inside and a large TV.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
semi is not equal to double decker bus

you = FAIL

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
my point is a semi doesnt equal a double decker bus. a triple decker bus would be greater than or any other vehicle where the vehicle is one piece and not a vehicle pulling a trailer.

that would be like a 100 ft ladder truck vs a 100 ft ladder tandem truck sure their both ladder yrucks but one is easier to drive.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Jarred J. said:
my point is a semi doesnt equal a double decker bus. a triple decker bus would be greater than or any other vehicle where the vehicle is one piece and not a vehicle pulling a trailer.

that would be like a 100 ft ladder truck vs a 100 ft ladder tandem truck sure their both ladder yrucks but one is easier to drive.

To be fair, 4wheel steer bus is probably easier to drive. possibly lighter too.

Oh well, both are wicked sweet

JCLG316

Sep 3, 2010
Reading, Pa
Washington DC has five or them and NYC has at least one. With an accident of five or more victims that MCI Bus responds automaticlly in DC.

Safetycardriver

Feb 18, 2012
Germany, Cologne
HILO said:
...no intersection lights...

Unfortunately here in Germany, there are no lights allowed at the side of a vehicle. (could be irritating :bonk: :weird: ) Only "beacons" with 360° on top, and flashers at front and rear... (maximum of two synchronised in front and 4 synchronised at the back). :cry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.