What to use, & when (definitions of a whacker)

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
What to use, when you should use it, and how NOT to be a whacker.

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I think as a general term, Whacker can be defined in several ways (or combination of ways). Here is my incomplete list of what qualifies someone as a whacker.

• spends more on lights/sirens than the vehicle is worth
  • has a ridiculous number of lights/sirens on a vehicle
  • the top of the vehicle looks like a hedgehog because of all the antennas
  • they use multiple low quality lights to make up for a lack of high quality ones
  • the flash patterns are obviously ineffective, sometimes bordering on dangerously blinding
  • an absurd overabundance of white lights
  • using colors (or equipment) that is not legal or in a legal "grey area"
  • using vehicles that closely resemble those of law enforcement to get a reaction from the public (Think CVPI with all clear lensed LED amber lights while the driver laughs at the fact that no one will pass them on the interstate)
Please feel free to contribute to this list.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
1) Adequate lighting for your application

2) Adequate audible warning (if allowed)

3) Compliance with state/local laws

4) Taking the time to PROPERLY install, wire, fuse, and sync (if possible) all devices!

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I have been on crown vic forums for over 10 years and wackers arent tolerated at all because not only they bring bad attention to the community but they also put themself into dangerous situation.So I will talk from my experience here.

I have always used the wacker term for people installing and or using emergency equipment wether its operative or not on the sole purpose of creating some confusion towards the general public.

To me it,s all about the intention. The sole installation of a push bar on a cvpi and/or keeping the spot lights installed on the car dosent make you a wacker but when you have the intention to use such  equipment to create a doubt in peoples head ,thats when it become at least a grey zone.

Dont get me wrong I understand some people have legitimate reasons to have such emergency equipment installed or mounted on their vehicule and I'm totaly fine with this. 

so in  short:

Instalation of unnecessary emergency equipment with the intention of using it to mislead the general public.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I think i just graduated to whacker... My department just installed a Whelen Legacy lightbar worth over $4600 on my 06 CVPI that has over 180k miles that was just valued at just a little over $1000..... So i guess im a whacker by default.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I think i just graduated to whacker... My department just installed a Whelen Legacy lightbar worth over $4600 on my 06 CVPI that has over 180k miles that was just valued at just a little over $1000..... So i guess im a whacker by default.

This...! Hahaha
Mex, I believe it's the secondary warning that was installed prior to your new Mack daddy Bar that vaulted you into a ,... ahem...

WhAcKeR.!..:cool:o_O

Reactions: Station 3

artfull dodger

Feb 2, 2017
Indiana
I storm spot for NWS via Skywarn here in Indiana. I am a licensed Ham Radio operator and been thru both the basic Skywarn class and an advanced class given to local law enforcement and those of us specialy selected to attend. I normaly run a single, usually double flash, xenon strobe on the roof of my pickup. Used only as needed when I have to park on very busy roads to spot or get caught in zero visablity downpour while trying to get behind a storm. Otherwise its turned off. We had a few that went all out with rear deck lights, hide aways ect. Seemed to be a phase as nobody localy has more than a basic beacon or small LED light bar now. To much lighting makes it harder to spot, espically at night. Most guys ran amber for years, but lately have been going to clear or clear/amber to stand out more from construction equipment ect. Mike

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
hand selected for advanced? now its an online class

artfull dodger

Feb 2, 2017
Indiana
This was several years ago. They took a bunch of us down to NWS in Indianapolis and taught us how to better understand what we saw on nexrad radar images. This was pre smart phone era. only way to get radar in the field was a portable TV set up or the new DirectTV mini dish. Or your own portable doppler radar set up lol! Much has changed since then! Mike N9XLZ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOHCZC

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.