What type of wiring?

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Hi folks-

It's been awhile since I was last here. Hope ya'll are doing well.

I recently purchased a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Truck. I'm going to eventually be installing emergency lighting both front and rear, but have not yet decided what type of lights exactly I'll use, and where.

In the mean time, I've been detailing my truck and pulled out the seats and carpet to get them cleaned up. While I have everything removed, I'd like to run a few sets of wires to the rear of the cab of the truck for future lighting needs. With that being said, what type of wires do most LED as well as strobe units and plug-ins require? Specifically what gauge of wire should I be running, if I plan on having strobe or LEDs in the rear taillights, as well as side windows and rear window?

Thank you

Ryan

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
As much as you can try to plan ahead your better off trying to set in stone what lights your going to install.

If you put strobes in the rear then you'll need a strobe pack and to run triple wire to each tailight, if you go led then you can run lighter gauge. What hideaways would you use. Each company has a different number of wires. Single or dual mode? That would be an extra wire. Sync wire?

Your better off getting a purchase list of what lights your going to buy and then get install sheets to tell you what wires will need to be ran and how many. There's no sense of doing half of it now then turn around and have to tear it apart to just run more later. Do it all at once to make sure they are ran efficiently and accurately.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.