What's actually inside a Feniex Quad 400(Using it with Whelen Core)

SNAFU

Aug 1, 2012
ohio
So I'm in a bit of a unique situation here, and I'm going to embark on going custom, I hope.

I have a Whelen core system already. But I want to use a Feniex Quad 400(actually a pair of them) in my front window as a interior light bar. I would like to be able to use the DVI patterns and such...

So my question is this, I hear people talk about using dummy modules from Feniex and being able to use them with the Whelen Core. How are the light modules actually hooked up in the Feneiex Quad 400, 600, 800 light sticks? I'm assuming there is a control board inside, and the modules only contain the LED's with a pigtail(no flasher or other electronics). Can I just eliminate whatever control board is inside the light stick, and wire the leds with my own wire and go straight to my core flasher?

Before anyone recommends another interior light bar, and I appreciate the recommendations, but here's my rub, my install is going inside a 2022 Subaru Impreza with the EyeSight cameras, so I only have about 14" between my A pillar, and the rearview mirror console. I'm actually planning on using a Quad 400 on each side, but cutting down the extrusion so it's only 3 lights, I'll use the remaining module in the rear side window on each side in a custom 3D printed housing.

Bonus points if anyone has any pics of a Quad light bar disassembled.

Attachments

• 20230326_132503.jpg
    20230326_132503.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 7

Synapt

Mar 30, 2023
Pennsylvania, United States
So, some of the quads and the future serial-line basically got built with an entirely digital controller that manages all the lights, unfortunately you remove that you basically brick the lights, it's why the quad convertor or their new FeniexOne controller (which you literally do all the pattern, light, etc configuration from inside that controller's software) is kind of mandatory with them.

That said if I might make a recommendation as someone with a Forester that has EyeSight cutting up a lot of my space too, look into the Quad 2X's. They use the classic wiring (no data-wiring or converter needed) and they fit up in there pretty good and they're very notable if you put one in each corner, add to that they sync up pretty well. If you want I can toss you a video of what mine look like.

SNAFU

Aug 1, 2012
ohio
So, some of the quads and the future serial-line basically got built with an entirely digital controller that manages all the lights, unfortunately you remove that you basically brick the lights, it's why the quad convertor or their new FeniexOne controller (which you literally do all the pattern, light, etc configuration from inside that controller's software) is kind of mandatory with them.

That said if I might make a recommendation as someone with a Forester that has EyeSight cutting up a lot of my space too, look into the Quad 2X's. They use the classic wiring (no data-wiring or converter needed) and they fit up in there pretty good and they're very notable if you put one in each corner, add to that they sync up pretty well. If you want I can toss you a video of what mine look like.
I appreciate the informative reply. I figured the new Quantum line would be locked down hard like that, but was hoping the older Quad line up would still have 'dumb' modules after the IO controller.

I had thought about the Quad 200's. They're about the only thing that will fit, I'm just not crazy about their flash patterns, I would have liked to run everything through the core controller to get a little white up front with the red, instead of just one color than the other, or have a takedown option.

If you wouldn't mind posting a video I would greatly appreciate it. I'm pretty sold on having to go with the feniex quad 200's.

Thanks again!
Bill

Synapt

Mar 30, 2023
Well the Quad 2X's basically are Quad 200's, just in a nice low-profile 3M-able or suction-cup mounted housing, and without the data converter needed.

In my case here in this video (edit: This video is my response-mode, everything is sync'd to an attack pattern flashing) I used the 3M mounting brackets instead of suction as I more or less wanted them permanently placed, and they're super light-weight (it's all plastic housing instead of any metal) so they don't have any real weight to fall from the 3M or suctions.

They have 3 mode wires so you can have 3 distinct different configurations (in my case I mainly have a response mode and two park-based slow-flash modes).

But yeah, they may seem like a more basic piece but they're the exact same quad module everything else uses so the brightness and potential is immense.

SNAFU

Aug 1, 2012
ohio
Well the Quad 2X's basically are Quad 200's, just in a nice low-profile 3M-able or suction-cup mounted housing, and without the data converter needed.

In my case here in this video (edit: This video is my response-mode, everything is sync'd to an attack pattern flashing) I used the 3M mounting brackets instead of suction as I more or less wanted them permanently placed, and they're super light-weight (it's all plastic housing instead of any metal) so they don't have any real weight to fall from the 3M or suctions.

They have 3 mode wires so you can have 3 distinct different configurations (in my case I mainly have a response mode and two park-based slow-flash modes).

But yeah, they may seem like a more basic piece but they're the exact same quad module everything else uses so the brightness and potential is immense.
Thanks! They look really good up there. That's a nice install all around,just about the perfect amount of lights without going crazy. I guess I'll place my order lol.

Thanks again.

Synapt

Mar 30, 2023
Thanks! They look really good up there. That's a nice install all around,just about the perfect amount of lights without going crazy. I guess I'll place my order lol.

Thanks again.
Yeah I wanted something low-profile and largely concealed but when active would be really notable lol, I'm not big on my car standing out until it needs to. Well that and fitting a light bar on top with a giant moon roof would never likely be fun lol.

The 2X's really work nice, and being modular they even said that once the serial units come out I can literally replace the two modules with serial ones and hook it all into their data wire model, that's mostly what I'm looking forward to.

But yeah the only real difference between the Quad 200 and the 2X as far as I can tell looking at the manuals is the Quad 200's have a couple extra rear-window features like brake-pop and tail/turn, past that it's just the housing unit that's different (The light-weight plastic vs the heavy metal aluminum frame).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.