Whats draining my battery?

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
So I was running a Carson SC409 for the last year or so without issue. I changed it out for the SS2000SM last week on Saturday. Parked the truck on Sunday and boom Tuesday night it is stone dead. Never had a issue before and tested the battery now and shows fine. I have it powered exactly like the Carson siren and never had an issue with that one. Circuit breaker at the battery, relay for ignition power to the fuse block, and all sirens, lights, etc run off of the fuse block.

So what is drawing the power ?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the extremely cold weather the north has been having?

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
the extremely cold weather the north has been having?
 Considered that however this was only in a 2 day period and the temp was event that low. Only in the 20's and 30's. Earlier this winter I had the truck sitting for 10 days when it was very cold and had no issues. I didn't know if there is any way for a relay to start going back and draw a little power with the ignition off? I know the Smart sirens are known for power draw if they are wired direct.

I parked the truck again last night and it will be sitting for another 3 days or so in what they are predicting to be negative wind chill. Only difference is I flipped the switch on the breaker so there is no power going to any accessories and we will see what happens.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Two things: How old is the battery? It may just be reaching ht end of it's life. I consider anything past five years to be a bonus.

Oh, and wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Two things: How old is the battery? It may just be reaching ht end of it's life. I consider anything past five years to be a bonus.

Oh, and wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects.
 Battery is less than 2 years old.

wind chill may not be a factor, but batteries are not really "designed" to work in temps below 30ish ACTUAL temp, thats when your CCA starts going down due to the thin plates in starter batteries... Thats why they make battery warmers....

we have a thread on this when i had a red top optima go bad the first day it got cold and the battery was only 18 months old with a 5 year warranty.

http://patch.com/virginia/vienna/dead-car-battery-cold-weather-electronics-may-be-to-blame-aaa-says
 I have had batteries do this but they would always show a bad cell.

HCR1990

Jul 29, 2010
Lake Jackson,Texas
Check for a stuck relay on the ss2000, I just finished an install on a 82 diesel military blazer and come to find out there were multiple relays stuck in the on position

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
 Apparently the battery was a little low when I parked it because I have not had the issue since and it has been cold!!!! :mad:

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I had constant battery drain issues with a WeCan lightbar and HHS2200. Had to boost the truck at least two dozen times in the winter. It would not manifest itself in warm weather.

Put a battery blanket on the battery and wired it in with the block heater, never had a drain issue again. They work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.