What's good for home defense?

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Looking to get an idea of a firearm that's good for home defense. Preferably a handgun but maybe a shotgun. Would like it to be something the wife can shoot if I'm not here. She already said no to a desert eagle. :(

We just moved to an area that isn't too bad but not the best. But with these days and times you can never be for sure. Won't be doing anything soon but over a period of time of putting money back. Any input would be great. Thanks.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If strictly for home defense and "anyone friendly" I'd suggest a Utas UTS-15 - Has a bit of a kick to it (heh) but 15 shotgun shell capacity in a short (combat friendly) shotgun would make it very good for home/personal/close defense.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Theres other short tactical shotguns I'd suggest however they are not legal in the US... Only Canada and other countries.

Reactions: tsquale

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Dogs are pretty good with home defense. 

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
I would say the 870 they are bad ass shotguns I use them for hunting or if u wanna go hand gun I've always love the the Springfield xd series amazing pistols I had a 40 and it had little to no kick back was more like my brothers 9 mm that he had

Reactions: tsquale

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Since you mentioned the wife using it, and assuming she isn't particularly proficient with a firearm I would go with a shotgun since they don't require the same proficiency as a pistol or carbine to be effective. That said, using a shotty isn't a reasonable excuse for not taking it to the range to work on the basic principals of marksmanship and weapons handling; safety manipulation; front sight focus and squeezing the trigger without disturbing the sights; shot placement to include body armor drills; loading and unloading; and failure (to load, fire, extract, and eject) drills to name a few.

With that, I would suggest a Moss 590/rem870 with an extended magazine and ghost sights for ease of use and reliability. I alternate slugs and 00-buck in the shotty HH6 uses when I am not present. That said don't neglect working a pistol in as well. If you are concerned about home defense you should also think about defense outside the home.

Also, if you haven't and with you just asking about a weapon it's a safe assumption to say you haven't, you should work on fall back hard points within the house; battle drills if forced entry is made into your home with/without you present; and what to [not] say to LE if she is involved in a home defense shooting - don't forget your right to remain silent in order to think about what is being said instead of just blurting out info. Poor wording, even in a stressful moment can be taken the wrong way. There are plenty of LEOs here who can steer you the right direction.

Lastly, I want to hit on mindset. There are plenty of books and other publications that talk about this but it bears mentioning. It's one thing to be physically prepared to defend ones own life by taking someone else's it's entirely another thing to mentally be prepared to do so. There are plenty of instances where LE and soldiers, hoping the other guy would do the right thing have waited too long and it cost their life instead - don't be that person. You are taking a big step in being responsible for your own security but make sure your mind is as dedicated to it on the inside.

Let me know if you want more info on any of the above...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Since you mentioned the wife using it, and assuming she isn't particularly proficient with a firearm I would go with a shotgun since they don't require the same proficiency as a pistol or carbine to be effective. That said, using a shotty isn't a reasonable excuse for not taking it to the range to work on the basic principals of marksmanship and weapons handling; safety manipulation; front sight focus and squeezing the trigger without disturbing the sights; shot placement to include body armor drills; loading and unloading; and failure (to load, fire, extract, and eject) drills to name a few.

With that, I would suggest a Moss 590/rem870 with an extended magazine and ghost sights for ease of use and reliability. I alternate slugs and 00-buck in the shotty HH6 uses when I am not present. That said don't neglect working a pistol in as well. If you are concerned about home defense you should also think about defense outside the home.

Also, if you haven't and with you just asking about a weapon it's a safe assumption to say you haven't, you should work on fall back hard points within the house; battle drills if forced entry is made into your home with/without you present; and what to [not] say to LE if she is involved in a home defense shooting - don't forget your right to remain silent in order to think about what is being said instead of just blurting out info. Poor wording, even in a stressful moment can be taken the wrong way. There are plenty of LEOs here who can steer you the right direction.

Lastly, I want to hit on mindset. There are plenty of books and other publications that talk about this but it bears mentioning. It's one thing to be physically prepared to defend ones own life by taking someone else's it's entirely another thing to mentally be prepared to do so. There are plenty of instances where LE and soldiers, hoping the other guy would do the right thing have waited too long and it cost their life instead - don't be that person. You are taking a big step in being responsible for your own security but make sure your mind is as dedicated to it on the inside.

Let me know if you want more info on any of the above...
I will look I to getting a shotgun then. I'm considering getting my CCW but I don't know for sure yet. If so I will most likely consider a handgun.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
not really... mine hides the bed post just fine....  :D

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Lol. Handgun for CCW. Shotgun for home.

For handgun, is there a certain caliber preferred over the other for any of you all?

The FD I had got on recently, before I had to leave b/c I moved, a woman had a glock that was .380 she wanted to sell but it was a little small for me.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Cart ahead of horse Matt...

The best caliber is the one you can effectively engage a threat target with. So caliber is secondary to shot placement. A .380 that you can control the recoil of placing multiple shots in the same area is better than a one shot wonder - everyone gets lucky. One in the "box" or spine are the only two spots to instantly incapacitate someone 100% of the time. Everywhere else it comes down to anatomy, hemorrhage times and/or tissue dysfunction.

Pick up something in 9mm (due to price of ammo and it isn't a bad round if you purchase the right ammo...) and take it to the range, with ball ammo not the expensive stuff, religiously. Religiously = as often as you can afford to. When you can draw from the surrender or hands at sides positions and fire in the IIPSC 5 major in 2 sec or the 5 minor 1.5 seconds and your 2 and 5 round rhythm drill split times (time between shots) are at/below .35 sec repetitively start worrying about caliber or move up in caliber.

That said, opinions on caliber size is as varied as they are on who makes the best siren, it's mostly based on preference. There is plenty of empirical data on the web that describe in detail how different rounds in varying calibers effect damage in both real tissue and gelatin as annotated by ballistics experts and pathologists. In short, there is more to stoping a threat than sheer caliber size. ;)

Reactions: rwo978 and jph2
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I 2nd what was posted earlier about getting proficient with the weapon of your choice,  both function and safety wise.

As for type,  I would also recommend a shotgun.   I am not gonna tell you to purchase 1 model over another as the only real difference will be how it feels to the enduser.

I would however recommend adding dayglo sights,  or some other high visibility bead to the shotgun.    These are actually quite inexpensive,  and most just screw into the barrel or clip on.    Also you may wish to try low recoil rounds as a standard.

I could go on about different loads,  but this is a good start.

Reactions: Surgicalcric
Jun 18, 2013
PA
When I was back in High School one of my buddies had an uncle who had an M79 Thumper and some 40mm grenades.      And it was live,  had it sitting over his bed in a display case....

That was his choice for home defense.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
When I was back in High School one of my buddies had an uncle who had an M79 Thumper and some 40mm grenades. And it was live, had it sitting over his bed in a display case....

That was his choice for home defense.
Good choice for killing folks if using M576 buckshot rounds with 20 24gr steel pellets coming out the business end at 269fps.

We used them, with HEDP rounds, all over Astan until the M320 came out.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
my preffered choice would be a m249 but that would be considered "excessive"
Just saw this. Yeah I wouldn't mind having one but if I used it for home defense the landlords probably wouldn't like me. Lol.

But in all serious though. Everyone has given me a lot to think about. I will definitely consider a shotgun for home defense and the handgun will come later probably.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
If I only had one firearm, I would chose a handgun. It works for home defense, and you are able to bring it in the car for road trips, ect... I personally prefer 9mm over any other caliber for self defense because it is soft shooting, has a large capacity and is an effective round with good quality ammo. 

If you want a long gun, I suggest a youth model 20ga pump action shotgun, either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. The youth models have a shorter length of pull to better accommodate your wife and the 20ga round has much less recoil than a 12ga but is still very effective. 

Reactions: Sparky_911

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
A load of buck shot from either one of my 12 ga's 500 or Sears 200 riot guns will stop most intruders.

IMG_0104.JPG

Reactions: kitn1mcc
Jun 18, 2013
PA
To the OP...

before you go looking @ handguns,  spend some time at a local shop or a range and shoot the models before you buy it.

Way too many people buy a gun, and return it because it doesn't fit them.

Once you find what works,  then make sure you invest the time in getting proficient with it,  for both you and your wife!

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Since it sounds like this might stay home with your wife even if you're away, and it might sit in a drawer indefinitely if she's not into weekend trips to the range, consider a revolver in .38/.357 loaded with the proper .38+P HP rounds, and with a lasergrip sight.  A Judge isn't a bad option either, just a bit harder to shoot.  Revolvers are less complex for novices & will tolerate being ignored & forgotten better than autos.  Plus, get her a good high powered flashlight.  For when you're also home, nothing beats a Mossie 500 or Rem 870 but a handgun is easier to access quickly.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Since it sounds like this might stay home with your wife even if you're away, and it might sit in a drawer indefinitely if she's not into weekend trips to the range, consider a revolver in .38/.357 loaded with the proper .38+P HP rounds, and with a lasergrip sight. A Judge isn't a bad option either, just a bit harder to shoot. Revolvers are less complex for novices & will tolerate being ignored & forgotten better than autos. Plus, get her a good high powered flashlight. For when you're also home, nothing beats a Mossie 500 or Rem 870 but a handgun is easier to access quickly.
Well if I go with a handgun it'll be going with me cause I want to get my CCW anyway so it'll probably be a shotgun for her. And as far as the flashlight I've got one already. I don't think someone is gonna like 700-800 lumens in their face at 3am.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
OK, if it's a shot gun you want, JDI has those, too!

Shotgun.jpg

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
From a psychological aspect, the sound of racking a round into the chamber of a shotgun has few if any parallels. On the other hand, a pistol is more maneuverable in the close quarters of a home defense situation.

One thing of note when selecting a home defense weapon, be mindful of the power of the round you choose to load it with, especially if there are children or other people in general living in the home. Drywall is relatively weak/thin and will not stop all rounds if you get a nice through and through.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.