What's good for home defense?

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Well if I go with a handgun it'll be going with me cause I want to get my CCW anyway so it'll probably be a shotgun for her. And as far as the flashlight I've got one already. I don't think someone is gonna like 700-800 lumens in their face at 3am.
Just a note, for most folks, it kinda becomes an addiction and you will see your firearm collection grow a bit. I used to be the only one that had one.  Now we have one for everyone in the family and then a few others. A good non-revolver handgun to start with is the Glock 19. If you don't want 9mm, check out another Glock. 

Another thing to be aware of is if you are LE/Mil/EMS/Fire. Glock has a Blue Label program. Sig has a LE distributor program. I'm sure other manufacturers have other programs. Check them out. You can get your firearms at a discount. 

Well if I go with a handgun it'll be going with me cause I want to get my CCW anyway so it'll probably be a shotgun for her. And as far as the flashlight I've got one already. I don't think someone is gonna like 700-800 lumens in their face at 3am.
Just a note, for most folks, it kinda becomes an addiction and you will see your firearm collection grow a bit. I used to be the only one that had one.  Now we have one for everyone in the family and then a few others. A good non-revolver handgun to start with is the Glock 19. If you don't want 9mm, check out another Glock. 

Another thing to be aware of is if you are LE/Mil/EMS/Fire. Glock has a Blue Label program. Sig has a LE distributor program. I'm sure other manufacturers have other programs. Check them out. You can get your firearms at a discount. 

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
From a psychological aspect, the sound of racking a round into the chamber of a shotgun has few if any parallels. On the other hand, a pistol is more maneuverable in the close quarters of a home defense situation.
I've read a few articles from professional defense experts that "racking one in the chamber" is frowned upon in a tactical defense situation, especially in a home intruder one. You want the element of surprise on the suspect, so if you racked in a round because you want to psych them out to make them give up or run, you just gave away your position. If the suspect has nothing to lose or is mentally unstable, they will engage you immediately. Then that might take you out of the fight right away. You have the right to fire the first round if you feel you and your family's lives are in mortal jeopardy. No racking necessary, just get the threat incapacitated/eliminated.

Any officers that wish to comment on this, go right ahead. I welcome the analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
From a psychological aspect, the sound of racking a round into the chamber of a shotgun has few if any parallels. On the other hand, a pistol is more maneuverable in the close quarters of a home defense situation.

One thing of note when selecting a home defense weapon, be mindful of the power of the round you choose to load it with, especially if there are children or other people in general living in the home. Drywall is relatively weak/thin and will not stop all rounds if you get a nice through and through.
drywall won't stop any adequate self defense round. And the sound of a shotgun being chambered is a bullet magnet, and tells the invader that you don't know what you're doing, since it wasn't already chambered.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
As I said here, a pistol is more maneuverable, so my belief is that would be the prime choice from a tactical point of view.

Chris W

Mar 27, 2014
NJ
Anything that goes bang when you pull the trigger, if there is any doubt it may not go bang then it shall not serve as a HD gun.  This means taking it to the range and sending hundreds of rounds down range, making sure there are no malfunctions.  This is a good time to make sure you have reliable ammo too. 

Reactions: 336 and CrownVic97

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Anything that goes bang when you pull the trigger, if there is any doubt it may not go bang then it shall not serve as a HD gun.  This means taking it to the range and sending hundreds of rounds down range, making sure there are no malfunctions.  This is a good time to make sure you have reliable ammo too. 
With ammo being hard to find or even purchase,sending hundreds of rounds down range sounds very impractical.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
In before all the gun snobs strike.... lol

Savage makes some very accurate out of the box hunting rifles,  that love cheap ammo.

With that said I know nothing of their shotguns... check reviews..  and again pick one for function over looks...

Ok. I've found one that I like. It's at walmart for $200 some odd dollars. Here is the link. What do y'all think?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/stevens320pump

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Just looked on Walmart seems they only have Savage shotguns and 1 870 express 12ga., 1 870 youth in 20ga.,

1 Maverick 88 12ga.

They've really scaled back their guns.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
In before all the gun snobs strike.... lol

Savage makes some very accurate out of the box hunting rifles, that love cheap ammo.

With that said I know nothing of their shotguns... check reviews.. and again pick one for function over looks...
savage doesn't make shotguns, they market them for a Chinese manufacturer. I own one, and will sell one to anyone that wants one and has the money. I wouldn't trust my life to them, they often have poor trimming on the polymer parts and have a few parts that shouldn't be polymer. The savings over a maverick(mossberg), mossberg or Remington aren't worth the gamble.

I wouldn't use a shotgun for home defense, period, but if I did, it would be an FN or Benelli.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I think we may have all overlooked one obvious tactic.

Take the pictures JazzDad has posted here and put them up in your windows. Nobody will want to come near your house.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
I don't recall who mentioned it, but relying on the sound of a shotgun being racked has never, nor will it ever be a valid force option.

With all this shotgun talk, one option has not been given it's due: the AR. The AR, as an HD weapon is superior in every way that matters over the shotgun. 

Ergonomics, ammo selection, follow-up shots, weight, lower recoil, all make it a far better choice, especially for a smaller statured person or female. 

Concerns of over penetration can be addressed with proper ammo selection based on the construction of the house. 

For a handgun, the Glock 19 is probably the best choice for a good to go, out of the box handgun. Modern 9MM ammo is more than adequate to the task. BTW: "knock down power" is a myth.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
After some discussion at the local gun shop (the panel consisted of myself, the gun shop owner and a local LEO) I concede the point that tracking shot gun does little more than to give away your position. As the esteemed officer pointed out, that theory may work on rational, sensible people, and the one breaking into your house is likely neither.

For weapon selection, the consensus was that the best choice is something that is easy to use and maintain, and feels comfortable to hold. Furthermore a strong recommendation for home defense was the revolver because if you are awakened in the middle of the night, you might not have all your senses firing when you wake. So it's simplicity of use makes it a good choice.

As to what caliber, it was unanimous that the caliber was nowhere near important and the placement of the fired rounds. Optimally, don't worry about the head, fire at center mass until he stops coming.

All in all it was a rather educational day.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Sorry for no responses from me lately. Got rid of mine and the wife's iPhones, using them as pretty much iPods right now, and went to basic phones to save some money on phone bill and I don't have internet at home yet since we just moved in.

Just to kind of update, I have decided right now to bring my dads shotgun over for the time being. I will be putting back some money for a handgun, not sure what kind yet. I figure a 16 gauge is better than nothing right now. All I have to do is find some shells for it since Walmart stopped carrying them.

I have been talking with my aunt who has a CZ 9mm that she may be willing to sell, so I may end up getting that from her if she does want to sell it.

Thanks for any input and I will keep this thread updated once I get something for sure.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I would get a .38 revolver for your wife all you have to do is load it and press the trigger and it goes bang 5-6 times.Thats as simple as you can get it.

I would recomend a semi auto pistol but some people have trouble with those even if they are as simple as they can be.

True story Example

my sister needed a handgun for home defense. i left her a simple cheap pistol a 9mm highpoint "since its worthless and i dont care if it gets stolen" and well one day some dudes decided to steal a pressure washer she had. My sister is in her 30s and lives alone with her kids in a big 10 acre ranch. Well she came outside and confronted the two guys and cocked the weapon several times emptying the magazine until finally she fired the weapon.... it only fired twice because she had cocked it so many times that she had ejected several good rounds from the gun..... She did not kill anyone but the two illegals took off runing and we have not had anymore thefts in many years.. But goes to show you how simple a gun can be and some people just dont know how to use them.

GET A REVOLVER

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
What seems simple & obvious to us may be a mystery to others, especially under stress.  Chamber loaded or not?  Hammer cocked or not (including striker-fired hammerless autos)? Safety on or not (or is there a safety)? Mag in or out (is there a mag disconnector)? It's usually harder to have an AD with a revolver because it's all out there in the open to see.  Plus, when the time comes all you need to do is pull the trigger.  I'll stand by what I said above, a medium-frame .38-.357 with the proper .38 ammo, a good flashlight, and possibly some Lasergrips.

Reactions: Station 3

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Sorry for no responses from me lately. Got rid of mine and the wife's iPhones, using them as pretty much iPods right now, and went to basic phones to save some money on phone bill and I don't have internet at home yet since we just moved in.

Just to kind of update, I have decided right now to bring my dads shotgun over for the time being. I will be putting back some money for a handgun, not sure what kind yet. I figure a 16 gauge is better than nothing right now. All I have to do is find some shells for it since Walmart stopped carrying them.

I have been talking with my aunt who has a CZ 9mm that she may be willing to sell, so I may end up getting that from her if she does want to sell it.

Thanks for any input and I will keep this thread updated once I get something for sure.
MY local Walmart has 16ga. Just wondering Matt where the heck in NY are you living now that you need firearm protection already?

Not that I'm against firearm protection considering the earlier post of my guns.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I would get a .38 revolver for your wife all you have to do is load it and press the trigger and it goes bang 5-6 times.Thats as simple as you can get it.

I would recomend a semi auto pistol but some people have trouble with those even if they are as simple as they can be.

True story Example

my sister needed a handgun for home defense. i left her a simple cheap pistol a 9mm highpoint "since its worthless and i dont care if it gets stolen" and well one day some dudes decided to steal a pressure washer she had. My sister is in her 30s and lives alone with her kids in a big 10 acre ranch. Well she came outside and confronted the two guys and cocked the weapon several times emptying the magazine until finally she fired the weapon.... it only fired twice because she had cocked it so many times that she had ejected several good rounds from the gun..... She did not kill anyone but the two illegals took off runing and we have not had anymore thefts in many years.. But goes to show you how simple a gun can be and some people just dont know how to use them.

GET A REVOLVER
Revolver or not, you should ensure your sister gets proper training on how to use a gun.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
trained my sisters kid on proper gun safety and how to shoot off the nutsack from a field mouse at 75 yards with a ruger 10-22 rifle with 3 extended 25 round mags. He also has his own bullet proof vest and a flashlight in his room. He goes out to the range with me at least twice a month to practice. He has taken over the home security since his is of age to be responsible.

Reactions: Turd Ferguson

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
MY local Walmart has 16ga. Just wondering Matt where the heck in NY are you living now that you need firearm protection already?

Not that I'm against firearm protection considering the earlier post of my guns.
We just live close to a bad area. I don't think anything will happen but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The one close to my parents used to have them but they were the only ones. And they've stopped carrying 16 gauge. I'm gonna check at a local gun shop this weekend.

trained my sisters kid on proper gun safety and how to shoot off the nutsack from a field mouse at 75 yards with a ruger 10-22 rifle with 3 extended 25 round mags. He also has his own bullet proof vest and a flashlight in his room. He goes out to the range with me at least twice a month to practice. He has taken over the home security since his is of age to be responsible.
But can he make a decent burrito?

Reactions: Turd Ferguson

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
What did that field mouse do to you to deserve his nutsack blown off? :D

Hurts just to think of it.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I don't recall who mentioned it, but relying on the sound of a shotgun being racked has never, nor will it ever be a valid force option.

With all this shotgun talk, one option has not been given it's due: the AR. The AR, as an HD weapon is superior in every way that matters over the shotgun. 

Ergonomics, ammo selection, follow-up shots, weight, lower recoil, all make it a far better choice, especially for a smaller statured person or female. 

Concerns of over penetration can be addressed with proper ammo selection based on the construction of the house. 

For a handgun, the Glock 19 is probably the best choice for a good to go, out of the box handgun. Modern 9MM ammo is more than adequate to the task. BTW: "knock down power" is a myth.
Mmmm. AR over shotgun.

Lets see any type of pellet shot will penetrate the wall and most likely will not pass through them likely hood of hitting bystander on other side low.

AR on the other hand will go through perp and through walls likely hood of hitting innocent bystander on other side High.

I can pump my shotgun just as fast. Hold trigger and keep going. Might screw up walls but wont hit somebody outside .

Reactions: kitn1mcc

gabrod

Dec 3, 2012
NY
My suggestion for future people that is looking to get something for the house:

A Glock 19 as someone mention here is an excellent gun, dont believe the " a 45 will knocked them to the floor" bs, is not true. 9MM is enough for anybody to have and protect themselves. Now if you want to go a little better I suggest an AR-15, really good option. for a shotgun other as well mention good choices, Mossberg 500, 870, 590 and one i didnt see is the SPX option. Dogs are also really good for homes since they can sense something coming close to your home.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Ok, I have a question. Is Hi-point a good brand of handgun? I am looking at one for $150 and it's a 9mm.

Just an update. Bought a Hi-Point .45 ACP JHP. All I need is a holster. Anyone have any ideas for a good one? 

Will update with pics later.

Ugh....... you just bought the STL of the gun world. Take it back if you can!!!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Idk if I can. It works perfect for me and what I need it for. I've shot 14 rounds through it and had no problems yet.
Key word........ So many horror stories about HPs and fail to fire. Do you really want to rely on something to save you're life that's sub-par?

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I know. But I made my choice. It was the right price for me. And I like to think that it's like lights and they have their good and bad products.

I'll use it until I can save the money for a better product at least.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
You can always try a pawn shop. Sometimes you can find decent guns for 100-200 less than you'd pay new.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So I am probably the only person who "liked" his last post,  but regardless of what you decided to purchase make sure you spend some "quality time" with it.    And by that I mean shoot the crap out of it and make sure you and whoever else is going to rely on it are very familiar with its function.

As for quality and or issues with high points,  My only experience with them  were the carbines..  9mm I think and it functions flawlessly.

so go figure!

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
So I am probably the only person who "liked" his last post,  but regardless of what you decided to purchase make sure you spend some "quality time" with it.    And by that I mean shoot the crap out of it and make sure you and whoever else is going to rely on it are very familiar with its function.

As for quality and or issues with high points,  My only experience with them  were the carbines..  9mm I think and it functions flawlessly.

so go figure!
So far I have heard the only ones that had issues were the .380's but I could be wrong. I have put about 20 rounds through it so far. I haven't had time to go to an actual range, just to my parents house to shoot behind their house at some home made targets. 

I have gotten comfortable enough to open carry it with the magazine full but not enough to keep one in the chamber. I'm working up to that point. 

But from what I have shot it so far I like it. It shoots well. It may not be Glock or S&W or any of the big names but for me it is good as a first handgun. I may move up once I get some more money but for now it's this.

In my time here I have become a firm believer of you pay for what you get, and know how to steer away from junk. For example, I used to love going to STL's website and look at lights until I came here and saw what junk they are. But I also believe that every company has its good products and its bad. I will use this and shoot it until I want another one. If it fails then I will have learned a lesson about buying Hi-Point firearms. If it doesn't then I will have a useful back up if I indeed get another handgun. 

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
So far I have heard the only ones that had issues were the .380's but I could be wrong. I have put about 20 rounds through it so far. I haven't had time to go to an actual range, just to my parents house to shoot behind their house at some home made targets
Not sure or your experience with firearms but most folks recommend 200-500 rounds of break in for NIB autos.   If you can't afford a Glock, XD, Sig, etc. when it comes time to upgrade you might look at Ruger as an alternative. You can find good used ones on Gunbroker for 200-400.  For the price you paid though...cant beat that.

http://www.ruger.com/products/srSeries/index.html

I have 2 P-series guns (9, 45) and can say for fact they go bang every time.  The 40 (SR40c) I just bought from them isn't bad either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.