whats your pov lighting/siren laws???

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
I did a quick search on this subject and couldn't find a post like the one I wanted so I'm gonna start one! :D

What are your state laws on pov lighting? I'm interested in color(s) allowed, If you can run sirens or not, and also if you have certain lighting req(i.e Full 360* lightbar, 1 dashlight limit) Im interested in what other states allow. Here in MO we can run b/w/a to the front and R/b/a/w to the rear with a minimum of 100watt siren required. All lights must be approved by dept. cheif.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
firefighter31 said:
I did a quick search on this subject and couldn't find a post like the one I wanted so I'm gonna start one! :D
What are your state laws on pov lighting? I'm interested in color(s) allowed, If you can run sirens or not, and also if you have certain lighting req(i.e Full 360* lightbar, 1 dashlight limit) Im interested in what other states allow. Here in MO we can run b/w/a to the front and R/b/a/w to the rear with a minimum of 100watt siren required. All lights must be approved by dept. cheif.

I don't think anyone has compiled a single thread with different laws, but you can get a LOT of results with individual threads. I tried 2 different searches (light laws, lighting laws), and yielded:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/flashing-light-laws-regs-utah-20659/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/lighting-laws-mass-20282/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f23/new-unmarked-new-york-state-trooper-tahoes-20963/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f23/pa-gurus-light-laws-21301/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/laws-washington-state-18186/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/michigan-hide-away-leds-general-meaning-about-clear-lights-rear-vehicle-need-help-20245/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/help-nys-vol-ff-light-hide-away-leds-general-meaning-21489/

It just takes a little time to sort through the chaff...

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
North Carolina:

Volunteer fire - red only. Amber and white is commonly used, and no one would enforce otherwise. No requirement for 360 degree coverage. North Carolina General Statute states no white to rear of moving vehicles because it is for reverse lights only, however this too is not enforced for hide-a-ways, etc., and most LE vehicles have them. "Electronically modulated headlights" and sirens are not permitted on POVs, however chiefs, deputy chiefs, and assistant chiefs of volunteer fire/rescue organizations can use sirens in POVs and have wig-wags. Horns cannot be "unnecessarily loud or harsh" or something like that for any vehicle in the state, but I've never seen electronic airhorns messed with. The only time I've had a desire to use that statute is when this local redneck we have in his jacked up pickup gets right on the ass of the car in front of him and blows his K5LA horns and nearly causes wrecks. That's not a responsible use of a hobby, and what ruins it for everyone.

Only law enforcement agencies can use blue, and with few exceptions like public safety agencies, agencies with chiefs from up north, and the Durham Police Department, LE uses blue only (commonly mixed with white to the front and amber to the rear too). Red may be used by LE according to the statute.

The only requirement for 360-degree coverage is on a wrecker. I think it even specifies "a single beacon" or something like that, but everyone has lightbars.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
For years Rabidjade on this and the previous boards, had a website listing the allowable emergency lighting colors in all 50 states. I think he closed the website now, but you could try sending him a message and it might get flagged via his email.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
In Virginia:

46.2-1024. Flashing or steady-burning red or red and white warning lights.

Any member of a fire department, volunteer fire company, or volunteer rescue squad, any ambulance driver employed by a privately owned ambulance service, and any police chaplain may equip one vehicle owned by him with no more than two flashing or steady-burning red or red and white combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Warning lights permitted by this section shall be lit only when answering emergency calls. A vehicle equipped with lighting devices as authorized in this section shall be operated by a police chaplain only if he has successfully completed a course of training in the safe operation of a motor vehicle under emergency conditions and a certificate attesting to such successful completion, signed by the course instructor, is carried at all times in the vehicle when operated by the police chaplain to whom the certificate applies.

This code is so vague no one can explain it. What consitutes two flashing or steady burning lights. For instance, is a Whelen Dual Avenger 2 lights or 1? Its two lightheads mounting in a housing, so is that considered one light? No one can give a definate answer. Its up to the law enforcement officer that stops someone using lights. For the most part though I dont think LEO's bother anyone.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Kansas-

At least one red revolving or flashing light and an audible warning device.

To be honest we can run pretty much whatever we want with whatever colors we want. My POV is R/W/B.

Some counties govern this differently then mine. I know some counties are only allowed R/W. But for the most part, most counties don't allow FF's to use POV's

kkets323

Oct 6, 2011
NY
In NY

Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicles, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicles. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle when such vehicles are engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles, fire vehicles, ambulances, emergency ambulance service vehicles, and county emergency medical services vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a police vehicle and fire vehicle.

Blue Light Law

IC 36-8-12-11

Blue lights on private vehicles; authorization; violations

Sec. 11.

(a) Members of volunteer fire departments may display blue lights on their privately owned vehicles while en route to scenes of emergencies or to the fire station in the line of duty subject to the following conditions:

(1) A light must have a light source of at least thirty-five (35) watts.

(2) All lights must be placed on the:

(A) top of the vehicle;

( B) dashboard inside a vehicle, shielded to prevent distracting the driver; or

© front of the vehicle upon the bumper or at bumper level.

(3) No more than four (4) blue light assemblies may be displayed on one (1) vehicle, and each blue light assembly must be of the flashing or revolving type.

(4) A blue light assembly may contain multiple bulbs.

(5) A blue light may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicles. Alternately flashing head lamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating head lamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception of red to the rear.

( B) In order for a volunteer firefighter to display a blue light on a vehicle, the volunteer firefighter must secure a written permit from the chief of the volunteer fire department to use the blue light and must carry the permit at all times when the blue light is displayed.

© A person who is not a member of a volunteer fire department may not display an illuminated blue light on a vehicle.

(d) A permittee of the owner of a vehicle lawfully equipped with a blue light may operate the vehicle only if the blue light is not illuminated.

(e) A person who violates subsection (a), ( B) , ©, or (d) commits a Class C infraction. If the violator is a member of a volunteer fire department, the chief of the department shall discipline the violator under fire department rules and regulations.

(f) This section does not grant a vehicle displaying blue lights the right-of-way under IC 9-21-8-35 or exemption from traffic rules under IC 9-21-1-8. A driver of a vehicle displaying a blue light shall obey all traffic rules.

(g) This section shall not be construed to include a vehicle displaying a blue light and driven by a member of a volunteer fire department as an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6).

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
Ohio:

At least one red light visible to the front a minimum visible distance of 500'. No limit on the number of lights, and no restrictions on colors except for blue (LE only). No 360 degree requirement. Siren required. Vehicle and lights / siren must be inspected and the state fire marshal issues a volunteer fire sticker which is displayed on the windshield along with an annual inspection validation sticker.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
kkets323 said:

You missed volunteer EMS I think... :)

The section pretty much reads the same as the blue light section for volunteer firefighters except that the color is green.

Again, a courtesy light... :(

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
Steve0625 said:
You missed volunteer EMS I think... :)

The section pretty much reads the same as the blue light section for volunteer firefighters except that the color is green.

Again, a courtesy light... :(

How well do people move for green ems? I think its silly that you can run lights but no siren, In my opinion if you have lights you should be able to have a siren. It makes no since to run lights to a station just to pick up a truck that has a siren on it..

if you ask me there should be stricter training so everybody could run a siren. we are all in the emergency field, whether paid or volunteer! Also 80% of firefighters in the US are volunteer! A call is a call no matter if paid or volunteer. just my $0.02

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
twodogs603 said:
This code is so vague no one can explain it. What consitutes two flashing or steady burning lights. For instance, is a Whelen Dual Avenger 2 lights or 1? Its two lightheads mounting in a housing, so is that considered one light? No one can give a definate answer. Its up to the law enforcement officer that stops someone using lights. For the most part though I dont think LEO's bother anyone.

Excuse me officer, but I do believe that this fully loaded Whelen Freedom here is one lightbar - the state law allows me to use up to two lights, and I have no lights other than this, so I don't see how I'm breaking the law.

awww.skyscrapercity.com_images_smilies_troll.gif

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
firefighter31 said:
How well do people move for green ems?

Actually, in communities where the meaning and importance of both green and blue lights have been publicized, they move over pretty well. Remember, in NYS, it is a courtesy light so we must obey all V&T laws. I can tell you from my own experience that when I pull up behind someone in my duallie with green grille lights, a green interior light bar, and headlights on (not flashing), they tend to move over fairly promptly.

firefighter31 said:
I think its silly that you can run lights but no siren, In my opinion if you have lights you should be able to have a siren. It makes no since to run lights to a station just to pick up a truck that has a siren on it..
if you ask me there should be stricter training so everybody could run a siren. we are all in the emergency field, whether paid or volunteer! Also 80% of firefighters in the US are volunteer! A call is a call no matter if paid or volunteer. just my $0.02

It is what it is in NYS, and it is unlikely to change.

However, the health law allows EMS response vehicles, both agency and POV, to run lights and sirens provided that they carry a Dept. of Health specified list of EMS supplies and equipment, are authorized in writing by their agency chief, and have been inspected by the DOH EMS area rep. This can be at either the BLS or ALS levels. Some agencies allow this and some don't. There are some volunteer squads that tailor their entire tiered response plans around the ability of their authorized members to respond lights and siren directly to scenes with BLS and/or ALS equipment to begin rapid early treatment, many times long before the arrival of an ambulance. Obviously, only EMT's and above are even eligible to do this, but IMHO, it is a great step forward.

wyhp3310

Jun 5, 2011
Wyoming, USA
These are Wyoming Laws on Lights and Sirens,

Wyoming State Statutes:

31-5-102. Definitions

(ii) "Authorized emergency vehicles" means:

(A) Vehicles of fire departments, fire patrols, game and fish law enforcement personnel, livestock board law enforcement personnel, brand inspectors, law enforcement agencies, public and private ambulances, medical rescue units and extrication rescue units;

( B) Privately owned vehicles used by members of a fire department or emergency service organization while performing or traveling to perform assigned fire fighting or emergency service duties are authorized emergency vehicles if:

(I) Authorized in writing by the appropriate governing body of the city, town or county in which the emergency services organization is located;

(II) Equipped with at least one (1) flashing red, white or amber light visible from the front of the vehicle; and

(III) Equipped with a marker on the front of the vehicle indicating the department or organization with which affiliated.

31-5-106. Authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when responding to but not upon returning from a fire alarm, may:

(i) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this act;

(ii) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

(iii) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property;

(iv) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

( B) This section does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall this section protect the driver from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

31-5-928. General lighting restrictions; authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) During the times specified in W.S. 31 5 910, any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, vehicle hazard warning lamps and school bus warning lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy five (75) feet from the vehicle.

( B) Except as required in W.S. 31 5 929 and this section, no person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon capable of displaying a red light or blue light visible from directly in front of the center thereof.

© Flashing lights are prohibited except as authorized by W.S. 31 5 915, 31 5 921, 31 5 929, 31 5 930, 31 5 931 and this section.

(d) Every authorized emergency vehicle, except police vehicles and as otherwise specified in this subsection, shall, in addition to any other equipment required by law, be equipped with at least one (1) red lamp visible from five hundred (500) feet in front of the vehicle. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, every authorized emergency vehicle, may be equipped with one (1) or more blue, white or amber lights. Vehicles used by the department to clear snow from public highways may be equipped with one (1) or more lights of a conspicuous color as specified by rules adopted by the department. Privately-owned vehicles used by members of a fire department or emergency service organization in performing or traveling to perform assigned duties in those organizations shall display at least one (1) flashing white, red or amber light, but no blue lights, visible from five hundred (500) feet in front of the vehicle.

(e) A police vehicle primarily engaged in traffic law enforcement shall be marked so as to be readily identifiable.

(f) The following vehicles are authorized to display flashing white and amber lights in addition to those otherwise authorized by law:

(i) Vehicles of civil emergency preparedness agencies;

(ii) Vehicles of municipalities and public service corporations;

(iii) Wreckers;

(iv) Funeral cars.

(g) In addition to these lights otherwise authorized by law, a wrecker is authorized to display flashing red and blue lights at the scene of any emergency.

31-5-952. Horns and warning devices.

(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred (200) feet, but no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use the horn when upon a highway.

( B) No vehicle shall be equipped with nor shall any person use upon a vehicle any siren, whistle or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

© Any vehicle may be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal. The theft alarm signal device may use a whistle, bell, horn or other audible signal but shall not use a siren.

(d) Every authorized emergency vehicle, except wreckers, shall be equipped with a siren, whistle or bell, capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet and of a type approved by the superintendent, but the siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which case the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof.

(e) This section applies to motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, multipurpose vehicles and mopeds.

If you need more info on other WY State Statutes Visit: 2010 Wyoming Statutes and Look for the Title 31 Which are the motor Vehicle laws to find out more. If you have Questions, PM me, or contact hawkspringsfire for help on Wyoming laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2011
New Jersey
Applicants for permit authorizing the use of blue emergency warning lights pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:24-5 et seq., may be considered eligible only if the applicant is an active member in good standing of a volunteer fire company, first aid or rescue squad, or a county or municipal Office of Emergency Management volunteer whose official duties include responding to a fire or emergency call.

MOUNTING OF LIGHTS:

Emergency warning lights shall be removable or permanently attached of the flashing or revolving type, equipped with a blue lens and controlled by a switch installed inside the vehicle, or shall be blue of the light bar type.

No more than two emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the vehicle, or on the front of the vehicle so that the top of the emergency warning light is no higher than the top of the vehicles headlights, or in the center of the dashboard. It may be a low profile light bar of the strobe, halogen, or incandescent type, or a combination thereof. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on the windshield column in the spotlight position. Light elements shall be shielded form direct sight or view of the driver.

ALTERNATING FLASHING OR STROBE HEADLIGHTS ARE PROHIBITED AND SHALL NOT BE INCORPORATED INTO THE HOUSING OF ANY LIGHTING.

xcrownvicx

Dec 3, 2011
New Jersey
in jersey its bs only blue no siren and only 2 blue lights per car. but i have blue in front and red blue in the rear and no one has said anything not even my chief because it never says you cant have strobes in your tail lights and if they flash red well its the same thing if you ask me. and i also have a siren unit its the whelen hhs2200. over all i really dont care what nj says theres about 6 people in my fire house that break it too..

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
Just because you get away with having the equipment, doesnt mean its right...

xcrownvicx said:
in jersey its bs only blue no siren and only 2 blue lights per car. but i have blue in front and red blue in the rear and no one has said anything not even my chief because it never says you cant have strobes in your tail lights and if they flash red well its the same thing if you ask me. and i also have a siren unit its the whelen hhs2200. over all i really dont care what nj says theres about 6 people in my fire house that break it too..

markko

Nov 7, 2011
USA Wisconsin
Wisconsin:

All red or red/white lights for fire and EMS POV's. Must meet same statutes as professional emergency vehicles. Properly-equipped POV's are considered emergency vehicles and may exceed speed limit, proceed through red traffic lights, etc. No limit as to amount/types of lights, but at least one red light to the front for clearing traffic and one red light to the rear/sides for parking in situations where legal parking not possible. Siren required when emergency lights are activated while moving.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
markko said:
Wisconsin:

All red or red/white lights for fire and EMS POV's. Must meet same statutes as professional emergency vehicles. Properly-equipped POV's are considered emergency vehicles and may exceed speed limit, proceed through red traffic lights, etc. No limit as to amount/types of lights, but at least one red light to the front for clearing traffic and one red light to the rear/sides for parking in situations where legal parking not possible. Siren required when emergency lights are activated while moving.

Arkansas is pretty much this as far as I remember. It's been a long time since I checked.

It's funny that so many states ban sirens (and stupid). Arkansas is non code 2 state. You run nothing, or you run it all. Lights must be visible 360 degrees. Blue is LE only. As far as I know, legally my pov is no different than any other emergency vehicle.

KAA951

Nov 8, 2010
Kansas
Fast LT1 said:
Kansas-
At least one red revolving or flashing light and an audible warning device.

To be honest we can run pretty much whatever we want with whatever colors we want. My POV is R/W/B.

Some counties govern this differently then mine. I know some counties are only allowed R/W. But for the most part, most counties don't allow FF's to use POV's

In part correct-

It is true that under Kansas statutes each emergency vehicle must display a flashing red light mounted as high as practical on the vehicle with a siren of a type approved by the Secretary of Transportation. However, police vehicles are NOT required to display ANY flashing light (though they obviously can and do), they are only required to use a siren (an old law...)

As far as additional colors, the law permits blue and / or white flashing lights to be used in concert with the required flashing red light on emergency vehicles. Technically, only police vehicles are permitted to have rear facing amber flashing lights (again an old law). Of course, maintenance vehicles are also required to use amber lights and garbage trucks are also allowed to have rear facing amber lights.

Getting an emergency vehicle permit for a private vehicle (eg volunteer firefighter or reserve police officer) is fairly simple. It simply takes the permission of the Chief of your agency and the approval of the county commission. Once you get that, you fall under the same laws as all other emergency vehicles.

FireMedic027

Nov 21, 2011
Armada, Michigan
Here is the link for the 309 page Michigan Vehicle Code, MI PA300 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-act-300-of-1949.pdf

From what the law says and what is actually on the road are two different things, I have no idea if/when this law was ever updated to newer times and studies.

It basically says that any vehicle that uses lights needs 360 degree coverage and must be seen from no less than 500 feet at normal atmospheric conditions. FD can only use red with white to the front. PD can use red and/or blue with white to the front.

Amber is widely used now, but the law does not acknowledge it for use on PD, FD or ambulances. 99% of ambulances I see have at least one amber light to the rear. PD, FD, and some ambulances use directional sticks in amber as well. I have even seen amber to the front.

The only thing it says about sirens must be heard from no less than 500 feet away in normal atmospheric conditions.

I have never seen lighting enforced in MI ... But I have also never seen blue on anything other than a police vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.