Whelen 2009 Liberty lightbar with WECAN

Fireman_c

Jul 16, 2022
Ohio
I am trying to get a liberty 54" lightbar to work. I have programmed a brand new WEcan module but I get nothing when I put the green wire to 12 volts. All the light heads have 12 volts all the time but I do not have continuity in the ground

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
What green wire are you putting power to?

Did you program the control point? Or are you using default programming?

Power and ground to light bar?
The WeCan wires are hooked to the lightbar correctly? Green to green, and grey to grey?

Fireman_c

Jul 16, 2022
Ohio
What green wire are you putting power to?

Did you program the control point? Or are you using default programming?

Power and ground to light bar?
The WeCan wires are hooked to the lightbar correctly? Green to green, and grey to grey?
I have programmed the WeCan controller in everyway possible. Gray to Gray Green to Blue

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
If its a true wecan it should be gray to gray and green to green. Just to make sure, you have 2 wire harness from the bar? 4 wires in total?

Fireman_c

Jul 16, 2022
Ohio
If its a true wecan it should be gray to gray and green to green. Just to make sure, you have 2 wire harness from the bar? 4 wires in total?
The 3 wire control wire coming from the bar is gray, blue and shield. The bar is a Liberty SW2RRRR

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
You should probably open the lightbar up and verify what I/O board it has and go from there.
If it is WeCan, you might want to check out this thread -- some folks had problems using newer "Command" with older lightbars and the posted .BXR file seemed to help.

Reactions: Tony P

Fireman_c

Jul 16, 2022
Ohio
You should probably open the lightbar up and verify what I/O board it has and go from there.
If it is WeCan, you might want to check out this thread -- some folks had problems using newer "Command" with older lightbars and the posted .BXR file seemed to help.
It says it's a SC Liberty I/O Assembly

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
It says it's a SC Liberty I/O Assembly
That would explain why it doesn't work :)
You can either go the SC route:
1. MPCxx controller
2. USB->RS485 cable (just a USB cable if MPC03)
3. programming software ( See "Serial Communication Programmer" here -- also see this post for a tip on how to get it working on modern Windows )

There is a listing on eBay right now for someone who'll sell you an MPC01 and include programming FWIW

-OR-

Maybe replace the SC board with a WeCan board. Other folks here can probably make the best recommendation with respect to the most suitable board and what it entails (may need wiring harness).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger-Services.com

Fireman_c

Jul 16, 2022
Ohio
That would explain why it doesn't work :)
You can either go the SC route:
1. MPCxx controller
2. USB->RS485 cable (just a USB cable if MPC03)
3. programming software ( See "Serial Communication Programmer" here -- also see this post for a tip on how to get it working on modern Windows )

There is a listing on eBay right now for someone who'll sell you an MPC01 and include programming FWIW

-OR-

Maybe replace the SC board with a WeCan board. Other folks here can probably make the best recommendation with respect to the most suitable board and what it entails (may need wiring harness).
Other than a new power cable can I use the existing 12 pin cable that feeds all the lightheads? There are two of those in this bar. One for front heads, one for rear heads.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Other than a new power cable can I use the existing 12 pin cable that feeds all the lightheads? There are two of those in this bar. One for front heads, one for rear heads.
If I understand you right, you're talking about the harnesses which go between a group of six heads, and a port on the SC I/O board. The corner modules have their own eight-contact plug in there too.

I think you'd be better off replacing the SC I/O board with an "LC" (Low-Current) I/O board (and possibly harnesses).

Connecting directly to the LED heads is outside of my experience so I can't recommend it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.