Whelen 295SLSA6 Siren power wire backfeeding 4 volts

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
Whelen 295SLSA6 back feeding 4 volts out of siren power wire. Only happens with slide switch active and siren in RAD position. Video was taken with ignition off. The siren power and prisoner light switch are powered by an ignition circuit. The prisoner light indicator light is dimly lit helping indicate the 4 volts. This indicator light has no significance except that it is what drew my attention to a possible problem. The circuit should be dead. Makes no difference what position the siren on/off switch is in.

I ran into this issue a while back and wondered if anyone else has seen this problem. Whelen tech told me it couldn't be happening, but I have seen it on at least three units. Not a big issue since the configuration that causes the back feeding is not one that would ever be used since the radio rebroadcast can't be used with the ignition off. (ignition off, slide switch on, and siren set to RAD)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You'd have to pull that siren out and hook it to a seperate power supply to convince me that caused by the siren and not a vehicle/install issue.

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
I never removed it to bench test it, but It still did it when every fuse (including the siren power) other than than the main power fuse for the 295 was removed. So the siren power wire being energized with 4 volts as an output could only be originating inside the 295. Radio rebroadcast was not connected. Horn ring was not connected.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
code4services.com said:
I never removed it to bench test it, but It still did it when every fuse (including the siren power) other than than the main power fuse for the 295 was removed. So the siren power wire being energized with 4 volts as an output could only be originating inside the 295. Radio rebroadcast was not connected. Horn ring was not connected.

I'm thinking there is something touching somewhere that it shouldn't be. You'd need to pull the siren to truly isolate the issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.