Whelen 6000 series bar...

Phil

Jun 2, 2010
New England
I just got this in. based on the catalog archive its a Whelen 6029. I have never seen one before, except in old black & white pictures. Needs lots of TLC, but its complete and working.

aimages42.fotki.com_v1379_photos_1_1392602_6672968_whelen_vi.jpg

Reactions: StEaLtH2

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Finally, the long extinct and uber rare 6000 bird decides to make an appearance! It looks just like the one I had back in the early 90s, as it has the same clear/hazy dome and interior setup with the inner par 46 strobes and the outer helix strobes with the colored domes over them. Those outer plastic domes were flexible and could be flexed and twisted a bit, unlike regular lexan domes. It was probably to allow them to be realigned properly in the frame track after reinstalling them when they had been removed, but they were paper thin and cracked easily.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Wow! I haven't seen one of those since somewhere around 1980. That was Welen's first enclosed lightbar. The one piece dome was a problem as it faded and cracked. That is a great find!

Phil

Jun 2, 2010
New England
This bar is one of the long lost Worcester, MA Police bars. It has the number "34" hand painted on the back. The previous owner used it on his plow truck, but saved all the original red & blue blubs/parts. The dome looks like it will clear up and I presume I will have to live with the cracks.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i need to go look in a secret warehouse there may be some NOS domes as reported by the owner of said storage location

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Definitely need some video and more pictures, both before and after restoration.

Phil

Jun 2, 2010
New England
I took the cover off today. It has a Whelen SA-170 speaker. The speaker, along with all four par 46 strobes are dated JUL 1976.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Matt C. said:
We had those in solid blue mounted on our MP cruisers (Ford Mavericks and Chevy Citations) at Ft. Polk, La. back in..... well.... "the day" :)

So I didn't hallucinate MP Mavericks back in the Dark Ages. The guys told me that could either ride with a partner, or a shotgun, but not both - the dash mount put them diagonally across the passenger's side because the headroom was so low. The ones at Fort Nameless had Yankees and Twinsonics IIRC, both stuck out either side considerably.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That looks great. It's amazing how well it cleaned up.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Keep an eye out for another red par 46 strobe tube. Worcester's bars were delivered with 2 blue to the front, and 2 red to the rear. That thing will look great when you're done.

Dan

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This may be the only one left in existance.....

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
There is at least one more 6000 in existence because I've seen it, and it's not the one I used to have. It's still mounted on the truck, which is junked out and sitting in a pasture, and over half of the solid red dome is missing. The fellow told me he didn't want to deal with the time and effort of taking it off and he wouldn't allow anyone to do it for him either.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
03crownvic said:
There is at least one more 6000 in existence because I've seen it, and it's not the one I used to have. It's still mounted on the truck, which is junked out and sitting in a pasture, and over half of the solid red dome is missing. The fellow told me he didn't want to deal with the time and effort of taking it off and he wouldn't allow anyone to do it for him either.
Let me know where it is, and he won't even know its missing. :twisted:

topsfield133

Jun 12, 2010
Wakefield, Ma
Phil awesome find...I must say that some of you have great luck finding stuff like that..btw that Boston Bar I got from you cleaned up well..I keep meaning to put up pics..

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Thread resurrection:

I just saw today what appears to be a mini-version of that bar on a municipal tractor.

Same rounded side domes, with 2 strobes inside and a diamond mirror. If I recall, this mini model was quite frequent, no? Or is it another rare find waiting to happens?

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
That 6000 is a monumental find!! I remember when Worcester ran those, only time I ever remember seeing that bar and was too young to know what it was or who made it... only it was MUCH different than the TwinSonics, AeroDynics, CJ184's and such that were common on local and state cruisers when I was a kid.

I also like that Whelen setup you've got on the rear wall.... is that a 3338 combo with SA-390 siren speaker? LOVE to have that (with blue lenses on the strobes, of course) on my office wall.... :D

Phil

Jun 2, 2010
New England
Sarge619 said:
That 6000 is a monumental find!! I remember when Worcester ran those, only time I ever remember seeing that bar and was too young to know what it was or who made it... only it was MUCH different than the TwinSonics, AeroDynics, CJ184's and such that were common on local and state cruisers when I was a kid.

I also like that Whelen setup you've got on the rear wall.... is that a 3338 combo with SA-390 siren speaker? LOVE to have that (with blue lenses on the strobes, of course) on my office wall.... :D

You are welcome to come see it anytime you like...Its not too far.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.