Whelen 72" Edge LED conversion

Radio611

Jun 4, 2014
Leitchfield, ky
My department has a 72" Whelen Edge strobe bar on a Peirce Pumper. Thru the years it has burnt up several strobe tubes and power packs. The parts seem to keep getting harder and harder to find. I am wanting to know if it would be possible to convert the bar to LED by using possibly Freedom Modules, corners and a flasher. The bar only has light on the front and the front corners, So I am thinking it would be a lot cheaper to get the parts and build something instead of buying a new Liberty or Freedom as the frame and lenses are in very good shape. Thanks for any information.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Absolutely it would be possible. In fact, it's pretty easy.

You can install either 400-series or 700-series LED modules into the Edge frame, depending on your taste. Either series is the correct height to fit. Steady-burn modules are easier to work with in this application than SmartLED modules.

If your current bar is an Edge 9000 where the strobe modules are held in with screws and plastic retainers, then you will probably want to purchase several lighthead mounting clips, like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/292187363590 That eBay seller is also a member here, by the same name. Using these will simplify installation and any future maintenance.

You will need some kind of LED flasher to flash the LED modules. Something like a ULF44 would be suitable, as it can handle 5 amps per channel across 4 channels, for 20 amps total. You could replace the Edge control board with a Freedom (or Liberty) control board, depending on your needs.

If you have an Edge 9000 or Edge 9M frame, you will need to make a decision about the length of Freedom corner modules you install. Standard (short) Freedom corner modules will fit without issue. Extended Freedom corner modules will fit, but they will take up half of the alley light position, and they will require the removal of one of their mounting tabs with a razor knife. Look here for details: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/whelen-edge-9m-questions.35474/#post-326242

If you have an Edge Ultra frame, which is deeper front-to-back than the Edge 9000 or Edge 9M frame, then you wouldn't have to worry about modifying the Extended Freedom corners. The frame extrusion is large enough to accommodate them, plus LR11 alley lights.

Radio611

Jun 4, 2014
Leitchfield, ky
Thank you so much for confirming what I thought. I have a mild experience with Whelen product and thought it would work but wanted to make sure before I bought product. I guess now the question is where to get the modules from. I have started looking around this forum with no luck, guess Ebay will be the next stop.

So I need to be looking for 400 or 700 series modules rather then the Freedom light heads?

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
In essence, a 400 series is a Freedom Module, whilst the 700's are a bit rare in a Freedom, they do fit.
I'm pretty sure there are some available thru the site. You are running red? White? No blue?
There are members that can color swap the led itself for you as well.
Post a wanted ad for 400:700 and I'm sure there will be hits. Also, the 400 series have undergone upgrade/revisions so watch for that as well if you want all the pods to match in appearance. Basically the optics change over time. Hope this helps

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.