Whelen 8000 w/ colored "flying saucer" optics - Update 1/6/13

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just got this.... it really needs a second clear dome in my opinion... The internal optics are plastic "flying saucer" style. I have seen colored filters inside 8000 bars before, but never colored internal spreader it's self....

The bar I just got......

[Broken External Image]:http://www.elightbars.org/forums/images/8000new.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.elightbars.org/forums/images/8000newa.jpg

This is the type of colored internal optics I have seen before.... a colored cylinder around the flying saucer.....

[Broken External Image]:http://www.elightbars.org/forums/images/8000filters.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.elightbars.org/forums/images/8000sold.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.elightbars.org/forums/images/8000cyl1.JPG

[Broken External Image]:http://www.elightbars.org/forums/images/8000cyl2.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
Ohhhh.....Niiice.
I've never seen that before, even in a catalog!

Dan

Me neither..... had no idea such a thing even existed. The red filter was under the red dome so I had no idea it was there until I took the bar apart to clean it! I literally said "F---- YEAH!" so loud my wife came to investigate...

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I have a set of those mirrors in stock. $30 shipped and mine are nice!!!

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Always liked those "pre-Edge" 8000's. Had a nice shape to them, loved the staggered rows of rectangular openings for the siren speaker. I had never seen the "guts" of an 8000, especially the "UFO" optics. Very cool. Nice find.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
JohnMarcson said:
Me neither..... had no idea such a thing even existed. The red filter was under the red dome so I had no idea it was there until I took the bar apart to clean it! I literally said "F---- YEAH!" so loud my wife came to investigate...

Thanks John! That right there made my night! :)

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
OMG.........if you only knew.....I've seen that before and you don't want to know where they are. Just think though...instead of 3 in existence there is only 1. Nice suprise find......its my turn now..

911caddy

Mar 28, 2011
Canada BC
I too have recently aquired some Whelen 8000 parts (lenses and filters) from a friend. I was puzzled how the two red and blue filters that came with the lenses attached to the 8000 metal base.. Now it make sense. It's a UFO that holds them in place! Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures!!

I too will soon be running a re-lamped clear and red domed 8000!!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I'm curious about the cascade mirrors...I understand their purpose with halogen or sealed beam rotators, but what purpose does the cascade feature serve with a strobe (as opposed to one continuous mirror)?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Tristar said:
I'm curious about the cascade mirrors...I understand their purpose with halogen or sealed beam rotators, but what purpose does the cascade feature serve with a strobe (as opposed to one continuous mirror)?

I think one continuous mirror would just give one thin reflected "line of sight" for the whole mirrored area, (probably in the middle of the mirror if you were standing directly in front of the car). Cascade mirrors, though, not being equally angled from one another, gives a long big flash that takes advantage of the biggest possible footprint to be reflected.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
toon80 said:
I think one continuous mirror would just give one thin reflected "line of sight" for the whole mirrored area, (probably in the middle of the mirror if you were standing directly in front of the car). Cascade mirrors, though, not being equally angled from one another, gives a long big flash that takes advantage of the biggest possible footprint to be reflected.

Now it makes sense, thank you.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
ford-dealer said:
Thanks John! That right there made my night! :)

I'm late joining the party but... MINE TOO! It put a huge smile on my face.

I have ONE clear one of these "beehive" optics if anyone wants to buy it! I have tons of parts for these bars, John... I could definitely arrange a Free + Shipping box of extra parts for you if interested. Just PM or email me.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is my newly arrived 8028 next to my 8002. Notice the two different takes on internal filters.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I am glad you got it! :cool:

Is the Power supply good?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ford-dealer said:
I am glad you got it! :cool:

Is the Power supply good?

Yeah, it works great.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
lotsofbars said:
Vids or it's trashed. :p

I don't have a camera that catches old double flashes well... maybe a wav file of the wine from the caps?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Very few consumer grade video cameras adequately capture strobes.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
JohnMarcson said:
I don't have a camera that catches old double flashes well... maybe a wav file of the wine from the caps?

Take a video anyway because a few flashes are better than no flashes? I'm just really psyched to see a weird configuration like this.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok, here is a video.. it obviously only catches some of the flashes, but you get the idea. The colored flying saucer appears to be a truer red than the cylinder red filter, but that bar also has a clear par 46 strobe next to it so it's not a fair comparison.

OWSLICHT

Jul 25, 2010
The Netherlands

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.