Whelen 9m ambulance configuration

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
I bought a whelen 9m with all red lenses. The only lights that are in it are on the front corners and the “take downs”. All the other areas have black covers behind the red lenses. Question is, do you think I can just plug in new lights or would the internals need to be upgraded? I’d like to get at least 4 strobes in this bar.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Seeing it’s a 9M, it “probably” has a 9M4S power supply. So if that’s the case than the power supply is capable of 4 strobes. You would have to open it up and check the power supply, and then see if the cables are there. You may or may not have the internal harness to support 2 more strobes. You would need (2) 400 series strobes for internal strobes or (2) 9M corner strobes to fit the rear facing corners if that is what your looking for.

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
I couldn’t readily I.d. What I have here. Looks like I should be able to add lights? Am I right?

Attachments

• 5613C34F-D8F7-4322-BBA0-84D4DF6B30FA.jpeg
    5613C34F-D8F7-4322-BBA0-84D4DF6B30FA.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 8D7C4B1E-4CB8-4B28-AD8A-844930FFE5FF.jpeg
    8D7C4B1E-4CB8-4B28-AD8A-844930FFE5FF.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 35

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well the first pic is the power supply for the strobes, the second appears to be for the flashing halogen lights, how many connectors for the strobes are coming off the power supply. The flasher board has spots for more halogen lights.

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
Well the first pic is the power supply for the strobes, the second appears to be for the flashing halogen lights, how many connectors for the strobes are coming off the power supply. The flasher board has spots for more halogen lights.
The power supply is a 9m4ss (simultaneous). There are two connectors coming off that supply and one goes to the corner strobes and one goes to a pair of 400 series linear strobes. I guess there is no more room for strobes. I’ll look to add flashing halogen lights.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
The power supply is a 9m4ss (simultaneous). There are two connectors coming off that supply and one goes to the corner strobes and one goes to a pair of 400 series linear strobes. I guess there is no more room for strobes. I’ll look to add flashing halogen lights.

In your initial post you stated 2 corner strobes and 2 “take downs”. In the post I quoted you stated 2 linear strobes.
To me, I take it as 2 corner red strobes and 2 linear clear strobes. Would that be a correct assumption?
You could add more to this bar in a multitude of options. That’s what’s great about the 9M bar, almost endless options.

In the second picture you posted, that is your power distribution board. The top left connector attached is your power/input to the power supply. The 2 open “H” style connectors to the right of that are for 2 more power supplies. The vertical 3 position next to those are to change the flash patterns for the power supply(ies). Continuing on to the top right is the control harness connector.
Bottom left is your power input connector. The next 2 (2) position connectors would be the supply to the 2 flasher boards. The third would be power supply for a center option (lighted sign, piercer, pierce alrert, etc). The vertical 4 position connector would be the connection for alley lights.
If you wanted to add flashers (halogen or LED) you would need a flasher along with the flasher input cable, the light cables and the lights themselves.
You could add more strobes as well. You would need the 9M4S strobe power supply, input cable, light cables and 400 series strobes.
The possibilities are only dependent on how many spots are available in the bar, and your budget!

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Here is a pic of “Flasher A” connected to the distribution board for reference.
5D058B26-4D33-443E-8088-6FD8EB4F9318.png

You can see the 4 black rubber stand offs and the 2 screws. That would be where “Flasher B” would be placed.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Your right I mis saw the distribution board connection., So with that does that mean he can hook in 4 strobes?.... I need a little better understanding of that distribution boards connections

It’s all good.

The 9M is fresh in my mind as I just picked up a 52” 4 strobe, 8 LED flasher, with center Pierce Alert option 9M bar. Did some research and tearing apart of mine.

So each 9M4S power supply is capable of 4 strobes. There are 3 power supply connections on the distribution board, making the 9M capable of 12 strobes (without any modifications).

There are 2 flasher boards. I believe “Flasher A” supports take downs which could also flash, and also rear flashers for a total of 4 lights. Flasher B also supports 4 lights, 2 of which can be “work” lights (steady option).

The alley lights are part of the main distribution board. And they have a flash option as well.

You have an ambulance bar, those are made with a 9M4SS supply, similar to the 9M4S, shut different patterns.
that board can supply up to 3 strobe packs at 4 strobes per pack,
If you want a quick and simple setup, you can just remove the inner strobes and add the other 2 corner strobes, but if you want to have more than 4 strobes you will need to add harnesses and strobe supplies with more 400 series strobe heads
Also a simple way to add some halogens if needed is with the alley plug, you can use that for takedowns or worklights and it also has a flashing option

We have all the parts in stock and I can explain anything more in detail if needed

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.