Whelen Air Horn - Popping Noises

Lunixor

Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Whelen PAP112 Air Horn & PA Amplifier that I've installed in my vehicle. Unfortunately, I've noticed a couple issues that I can't seem to figure out a cause for.

Whenever the PAP112 unit turns on or off (via key ignition power), a loud 'pop' noise can be heard from the speaker. It is very noticeable and somewhat annoying. The air horn itself functions fine.

Similar thing occurs when keying the microphone - an audible popping noise both at the start and end of push-to-talk. I've noticed that when the mic is plugged directly into the unit it's not as much of a problem, but when using the 10' extension cable (from trunk to cabin) the noise is much more audible.

From what I can find online, these are generally not normal noises for most siren amplifiers. Is there something wrong with my PAP112 unit? It is the older model and I would guess it is 10-20 years old if that plays in as a factor.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
A previous Whelen siren I had would give that same tick, clap or pop when turning on or off. The off noise was a bit quieter then when switching on. I never thought twice of it, thought it was normal. The siren was a 295 something. Keying the mike gave a light noise too but much much quieter then the power switch.

Lunixor

Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I have the unit grounded to the chassis behind the passenger kick panel, so I'm not sure if grounding would be the issue

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
I'd be looking at capacitors on the unit, especially if it's that old. Generally capacitors are used for filtering and containing voltage spikes, which is what you're getting. Might be time for a trip in to the manufacturer, or someone who does bench-level electronics repair.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.