For Sale Whelen Alpha 12Q - Remote Siren Module - Rare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2018
Essex, Ontario
I have (3) Whelen Alpha 12Q remote siren modules. All units are in good condition and are working perfectly! All 3 units have the original and infamous Q (executor) siren tone that received lots of attention and was later replaced by a altered version of a mechanical siren tone known today as the Whelen M tone.
Units will require the 2 Whelen electrical connectors 1 x 6 pin & 1 x 9 pin. (Available for approx. $9 on eBay) Or you can make your own connections with crimp on push in terminals.
Factory wiring diagram will be emailed if required for connection of modules.

$550.00 ea (shipping included)
If you are seriously interested in purchasing all 3 units, please pm me for a bulk price.

*All 3 units are still cheaper than an EQ2B and sound just as good!

79223E8C-3943-4FE1-BC6B-30C43F6A1598.jpeg

Last edited:

ntdg1

Sep 5, 2021
NC
If you have any left and you’re still willing to do 200 plus shipping I’d definitely be interested.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'd do $275 shipped

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yeah, I just got an ALPHA 12 M, not Q; someone cut the letter off the front, but not off the tag. Refund please.

Attachments

• notq2.jpg
    notq2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 17
  • notQ1.jpg
    notQ1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Angry
Reactions: Tony P

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hi John, plug the unit in please and compare the sound.
Housing label is not accurate.
Ok..... but how is both the top and bottom housing incorrect? The circuit board is connected to the bottom housing which has the 12m tag. The top housing being wrong (or defaced) I can completely see, the bottom housing is what the board and all internals are directly connected to. This portion being wrong seems odd. This would mean switching a 12Q circuit board into a 12M, I'm not going to open the unit up, but I have others in my collection and when I replaced the board in my other Alpha siren it was a bit of trouble (I also kept the housing correct). It seems very odd for the top to have the letter designation cut off and the bottom to say "M". That means the only "Q" portion is the circuit board.

I don't want to put power to an item that has apparently had a new circuit board placed into the housing. I could open this up and put this to bed immediately, as I know the production years of the boards and differences between the M and Q boards. But again I'm not going to touch the item, it was significantly altered and is not as described. The item is still in the box and I am stating it is not the item I purchased.

Imagine you made a deal to buy a vintage car and it showed up 10 model years newer with one insignia cut off. The seller says don't worry, the vintage engine is installed in the newer car. Would you care? You would immediately declare you bought the complete vintage car, not a newer model year with the older engine installed. My point being, even if this is a 12M body with a 12Q board installed, I don't want it; it is not what I agreed to buy.

Also, it would have been nice to know this before buying, your picture shows the proper label and this is part of the value of the unit. Since it is not the item pictured for sale, it's not really what I need. Half the housing is incorrect, the other half is defaced. Even if the board is a 12Q it would be valued at a significantly lower price for both reasons. I might have bought the board alone, or the altered item I received if it had been properly described, but only for a much lower price. however, the major alterations were not disclosed when we agreed on a price.

The bottom line is I don't care what it sounds like. I am a collector, not someone just looking for the specific sound for their car. This item has a greatly diminished value due to the undisclosed alterations and it isn't what I agreed to buy. I will ship it back for a refund, and then take down any feedback and/or this thread if you wish. I'm not trying to be difficult but a mismatched housing and internals isn't a small detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave F and Tony P
Dec 19, 2018
Essex, Ontario
No problem John,
Understood and sorry for the confusion/miss-communication (on my part)
Please ship the item back and a full refund will be issued. (Plus return shipping costs)
Thanks Rick.

Reactions: tmtrev

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
No problem John,
Understood and sorry for the confusion/miss-communication (on my part)
Please ship the item back and a full refund will be issued. (Plus return shipping costs)
Thanks Rick.
Ok, let me get it packed up and to the post office tomorrow and I'll send you the receipt. I appreciate you understanding my position.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So, the plot thickens. There was an approx. 9 month period when Whelen was disallowed from using the term "Q" or labeling anything "Q" but had not yet been prohibited from using their tone. There were two separate rulings, one on the "Q" designation, one on the tone itself. Did you swap the board on this and cut the M off, or did you receive it this way? Do you know the history of this unit at all? From a collectability standpoint, aside from the defaced tag, one of the sirens manufactured in the 9ish moths between rulings would be something I would be interested in having.

I will use some resources on my end too to investigate serial numbers.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018
Essex, Ontario
John, I am not aware of the units internals being swapped, however the unit and one other I have (same manufacture time frame) has the exact same tone as the one you have received (which is definitely the executor Q tone).
The Q tag was removed prior to me receiving it.
I do believe you are 100% correct on the labels vs the tone change.
I will check the other unit I have to see if the tag is original and still in place.
There were 2 of these units labeled as M but are in fact Q internals.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok, The defaced label is my issue, I honestly would be interested in having one of the "M" labeled "Q" internal ones, they were made in 2004-2005ish in between rulings on name trademark (Q name) and tone copyrights (Q tone). Let me know what you find. I deleted the feedback and will just sit tight with the unit and continue looking through my stuff here. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Dave F

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I haven't heard back since Sept 29th when I was told a new unit was being shipped. Any update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.