Whelen Amber LED Upgrades! BRIGHTER / HEATED LENSES / HARDCOAT

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Did Whelen recently upgrade their amber LEDs to a brighter diode?

I just saw some amber Micro edge, and some 400 LEDS on a DOT truck, and they blew me away (daytime).

They were much brighter than any of the whelen amber LEDs on the other trucks, and the brightest amber I've seen.

Amber has always been the dimmest LED color, but not any more.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Mobile Fleet

Jun 7, 2010
New York
They did switch to a brighter more orange or gold colored LED a few months ago. If you look at the power wire on the lighthead it will be orange instead of yellow now.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I call it peach. Wasn't a fan at first but the more I see it (on my vehicle) the less I dislike it. They're certainly bright.

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
I noticed one of the local highway maintenance trucks has a new Responder LP on it with LIN-6's and the new responder blows the old ones away... I couldn't figure out why until now.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here's a possible answer as to why these Whelen heads look so bright.

Go to the 5th block down on the page.

http://www.pavementvideo.org/2011_EMTSP/PDF/5%20-%20EMTSP%20-%20Presentation-Whelen.pdf

The Phillips site notes that the PC amber LEDs deliver 4-5 x more light output than standard LEDs.

Also, look at the heated lenses, in blocks 6 and 7, to keep snow off!!!! Activates at 35 degrees and keeps temp greater than 32 degrees!

Also, hardcoated lenses!

Last edited by a moderator:

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Whelen switched from CREE diodes in 2010, to the much brighter Rebel diodes in 2011. I've compared both, and Rebel is much more intense. It's also a lighter shade of yellow, instead of the golden amber color the CREE had.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
bluestinger90 said:
Whelen switched from CREE diodes in 2010, to the much brighter Rebel diodes in 2011. I've compared both, and Rebel is much more intense. It's also a lighter shade of yellow, instead of the golden amber color the CREE had.

Just amber or all colors?

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
yeah they did alot of work on the Lights the last truck i did i was like WOW i just put a set of L31 on Truck man are they insane. (pics in install later in the week)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
New amber LEDs L31 in cruise light mode only, in high (brightest) setting

Day, and night.

There are 4 cruise light brightness settings. Only the 2 dimmer settings can be used to stay on when the beacon is flashing. The 2 brighter settings will shut off when the beacon is turned on.

S6303202.jpg

S6303203.jpg

S6303204.jpg

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
They prob switched to cree LEDs. Code 3 did. They used to use the rebels but they now use the cree. I had a rebel amber n changed it over to the cree ones. Alot deeper color than the rebels were

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.