Whelen BLINK / B-LINK / Serial thread

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I tried building my own, but whenever I try to export it, an error comes up as "Communications failure." Does anybody have advice?

Is everything turned on? How is your converter wired? What version of software are you using? USB or serial? What is your computer hardware configuration?

Could be a hundred different issues. To troubleshoot we need details and pictures. Comm failure would say to me something isn't on.. the Comm port isn't set correctly or there's a loose wire somewhere.

Seth

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I've had mixed results with a USB to serial converter so that maybe one issue. Likely the bigger issue is Windows 10... I believe 5.3.3 was made for use in XP... I'd find an older laptop running XP and try it again.

five0fan

Oct 27, 2015
New York
I've had mixed results with a USB to serial converter so that maybe one issue. Likely the bigger issue is Windows 10... I believe 5.3.3 was made for use in XP... I'd find an older laptop running XP and try it again.
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot, hopefully it'll work. Will advise. Only have a desktop with XP, gonna have to fire it up. Poor dinosaur hasn't seen much action in quite some time.

Reactions: C17LVFD

Justin

Jun 10, 2017
ct
Does anyone have the file to program the controllers? I need 5.3.3 for a blink box, whelen is closed today and was hoping to get the project done this weekend.

jdessek

Jan 3, 2019
Our Fire Department recently purchased a 1997 Rescue truck with only 5,000 miles. We have been working on it and just recently placed it into service. The controller is a MPC01 with 2 BL627 amplifiers, 2 BL188, 1 ISP 94 and 1 BL405. We added another ISP94 changed the program to read it. Now when all of the lights are on the 4 halogen scene lights that are connected to the BL405A flash. Everything else works as it should. We disconnect the ISP 94 and they work properly.

Any suggestions?

Exlawman1

Dec 23, 2019
Long island, n.y.
Back by popular demand and a work in progress...sticky maybe?

Whelen Serial Communications Primer

Here and there, the topic of the Whelen serial controlled products comes up. I am writing this to provide as much information here as possible to make it a little easier to understand what it can do and its limitations.

Introduced in the 1990's was the Whelen “BLINK” product. It is now known as part of the "SC" line, which fits in with Whelens two letter designators (HC, LC, SC, ST, etc). Serial components have model numbers starting with "BL".

Its core market were for large fleet vehicle operations and easy of maintenance of the modules. If a component such as the siren amp failed, all you had to do it disconnect the harness, swap them out and your good go to. Only component that would need to be reprogrammed, if necessary, would be the MPC.

This system consisted of a MPC01 (Multi Purpose Controller), the BL10000 lightbar and the BL627 siren amplifier. This was the core system. What was unique about these products from the standard Whelen offerings is that each operated off of RS485 data stream at 9600bps sent from the MPC01 controller. This controller was programmed from a computer running DOS software and was interfaced thru a special box known as the "Transporter".

One of the advantages to this RS485 data system is that it only requires one data cable (two wires, plus a drain wire) to each component. This eliminates running multiple 12vDC control wires throughout the vehicle. Due to the data nature of the system, you can daisy chain from one unit to another eliminating multiple runs of data cable from the MPC01. Depending on the component, you can have more than one of the same items in the system (two amps, four flashers, etc).

In the typical setup, the wires from the MPC01 will run directly to a BL627 siren amp. This is done as audio from the PA mic is routed to the amp via a 5 wire cable. After that, 2 wires are only needed.

What is nice about computer programming a control box, the MPC01 is able to have specific modes of operations for each component in the system on a per switch basis. For instances, you can program slide switch one to operate the front strobes of the BL10000 in a random pattern and the siren to automatically come on. You then could program slide switch 2 to operate just the front corner strobes, and the rear center strobe only. Many different combinations are possible. Each button can have specific programming that is unique to each other buttons. There is a higherachy to the programming in case you have multiple modules operating with different buttons. Slide switch has the highest priority, followed by the push buttons, with the auxiliary inputs as the 3rd. What this means, if you have push button 1 for front strobes, and slide switch 1 as all bar with strobes on a different pattern, the programming for SS1 will override whatever you have button one programmed for, in terms of the strobe operation. If push button 1 just turned on the takedowns and SS1 turned on as above, the TD's will stay lit. They do not turn off any other function, unless programmed that way.

In addition to custom programming without having to rewire the entire lightbar, each component has built in real time diagnostics. If there is a failure of any component, the MPC will emit a fail tone (if enabled) and flash the LED light on whatever function is running. A manual "all systems: check can also be performed by holding down the last push buttons for 5 seconds. The system will then turn every component on in sequence. SI-Testing of the siren is also available.

Another feature of the MPC01/02/03 is the hands free lightning option. If the unit is in slide switch 3 position, and the siren knob is HF, any press of the MAN button and/or the horn ring will change the siren tone (if setup) and light options (if setup). Commons setups were the first press placed the strobe bars in to single flash mode with the yelp and faster wigwag and taillight flash patterns. To exit out of that mode, all you have to do is move the SS to another position or the siren knob out of HF. So essentially, you can have 4 different modes of operation in the SS3 position and HF mode.

The MPC01 contains the following controls:

-System on/off toggle switch

-Four position slide switch (0,1,2,3)

-Six momentary buttons

-Dedicated air horn button

-Dedicated manual siren button

-7 position siren knob (Radio repeat, PA, Manual, Handsfree, Wail, Yelp, Pier)

-Microphone input

In addition to the above, the MPC supports two external inputs and two external outputs. All of those four are ground inputs or ground outputs to allow non-BLINK to be controlled, or to be controlled by other products.

Currently, the MPC can be programming with Windows based software called "SC Programmer". As of September 2008 the current version is 5.3.3. This software is backwards compatible with all released products.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Whelen Serial Controlled Components

The following are all known model numbers and descriptions of released products

-----------------------------------------------------------------

MPC01 - Multipurpose Controller. This is the heart of the system

MPC02 - Same as the MPC01, but omits the siren controls and replaces the airhorn and manual buttons with traffic advisor and low power buttons

MPC03 - This is the "Cencom" style head and newest controller. This head does not require the "Transporter" interface box and can be programmed via a USB cable

MPC-NFPA - This is a modified version of the MPC01 which does not have a slide switch. It allows two inputs for "Calling the Right of Way" and "Blocking the Right of Way".

BL627 - Siren amplifier. This siren allows for up to two 100 watt speakers, and has the same tone set as the 295 series sirens. In addition to the 295 tones, you can program (via the MPC01/03/NFPA) "composite tones" for wail, yelp, high low and tri-tone. As of 2008, a newer version allows for dip switch control of siren tones such as Power call tones, and the "Q" sound. Up to two siren amps can be installed in a system and allows for in or out of phase tones and multiple tones (one per amp at a time). The pre "new tones" amps can be spotted with it have a 4 position dip switch. The newer model has an 8 position dipswitch.

BL2150 - Standard headlight flasher, first generation. This puts 12vDC + voltage on the headlight wires.

BL2150A - Current headlight flasher. This works the same way as the standard 2150A's which isolate the lights from the vehicle

*Multiple flash patterns can be used

BL5150 - Standard taillight flasher. This puts 12vDC + voltage on the vehicle wires

BL5150A - Current taillight flasher. This isolates the vehicle and flasher wiring

*Multiple flash patterns can be used

BL74C - 4 outlet, 70 watt comet flash strobe power supply (discontinued in favor of the ISP series)

BL94C - 4 outlet, 90 watt comet flash strobe power supply (discontinued in favor of the ISP series)

BL148C - 8 outlet, 140 watt comet flash strobe power supply (discontinued in favor of the ISP series)

BL188C - 8 outlet, 180 watt comet flash strobe power supply (discontinued in favor of the ISP series)

ISP94 - 4 outlet, 90 watt strobe power supply. Allows BLINK, DOT and conventional operation

ISP188 - 8 outlet, 180 watt strobe power supply. Allows BLINK, DOT and conventional operation

BL405A - Four outlet halogen flasher, supports up to 5 amps per outlet.

BL420A - Four outlet power switch, 20 amps per outlet. Also able to be used as a flasher

*The above can flash at the following rates: 70SF, 140SF, 60DF, steady on

BLTA - This is an 8 lamp traffic advisor. If using a BL10000 lightbar with all rear strobes, you can use the lightbar arrow and this traffic arrow at the same time. This does not work when using an Ultra bar - one or the other in that case.

BLTAREM - This is a traffic advisor controller that you can use any positive switched 8 lamp traffic arrow with

BLTAREM6 - Same as above, but for 6 lights

BLDISTI - Power Distribution Module. If you have a very large installation, you can locate them all in one place, and connect them to one power and data source instead of running multiple power wires to the battery.

BL8140 - This is a high powered relay box. No flashing. This allows control of high (or low) current control of non-serial products. Depending on current needs outputs can range from 40 amps to 10 amps depending on the outlet(s) used.

SMART LINK Series

Whelen offers "prepackaged" systems in six standard configurations.

SMTLNK1 - MPC01, BL627, BL8140

SMTLNK2 - MPC01, BL627, BL8140, BLTAREM

SMTLNK3 - MPC01, BL627, BL8140, BLTAREM6

SMTLNK4 - MPC01, BL627, BL420A

SMTLNK5 - MPC01, BL627, BL420A, BLTAREM

SMTLNK6 - MPC01, BL627, BL420A, BLTAREM6

LIGHTBARS

There have been several lightbars made available that will work with the serial controllers. Perhaps the best and widely known lightbar is the BL10000 bar with its unique appearance. This bar can be instantly recognizable by its black cover on the top of the bar. It has the same basic form factor as the Edge 9000 series however it’s much wider than the Edge 9000, and slightly wider than the Edge Ultra. The BL10000 was available in the following configurations:

102000 - 4 front, 4 rear strobes

102H0 - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, two front, two side halogens

1020H - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 1 front center, 3 rear halogens

102HH - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 3 front, 3 rear and 2 side halogens

102I0 - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 2 front, 2 side immobilizers

102IH - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 1 front, 3 rear halogens, 2 front, 2 side immobilizers

102HI - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 1 front, 4 rear immobilizers, 2 front, 2 side halogens

1020I - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 1 front, 3 rear immobilizers

102II - 4 front, 4 rear strobes, 3 front, 3 rear, 2 side immobilizers

10300 - 5 front, 7 rear strobes

103H0 - 5 front, 7 rear strobes, 2 front, 2 side halogens (popular model)

103I0 - 5 front, 7 rear strobes, 2 front, 2 side immobilizers

1030H - 6 front, 4 rear, 2 side strobes, 1 front, 3 rear halogens

1030I - 6 front, 4 rear, 2 side strobes, 1 front, 3 rear immobilizers

10400 - 7 front, 7 rear and 2 side strobes

So now you’re asking, what is the difference between halogens and immobilizers? Simple...no clue! Both are halogen lights to my knowledge, and are capable of steady burn, single or double flash. Other than that, I really don't know.

The bar is cable of synchronized or "out of phase" strobe patterns and a backlit sign and cruise lights were an option. Integrated into the BL10000 was the ability to do strobe traffic advisor patterns. No matter how many rear strobes you had, it could to left/right/split/in-out. Of course, more strobes you had to the rear the better it looks.

Strobe flash patterns consisted of:

Simultaneous

Alternating

In/Out

Crossing (strobes left/right)

Random

Up to three can be selected per mode which it would rotate thru.

Around 1999/2000, when the newer Edge bars were released, the Edge Ultra for serial communications (Edge Ultra SC) replaced the BL10000. This bar could have just about every option that the normal Ultra bar could have. Same goes with the LFL Patriot SC, LFL Liberty SC, LFL Liberty ST (extended corner liberty) and the Freedom Series. As with the BL10000, if you have fully populated rear strobes, the Ultra bar can support a strobe TA. If you desire a split TA or a full halogen TA, an internal T/A controller will have to be bought and installed (unless order from the factory that way).

------------------------------------------------

Serial communications off shoots

------------------------------------------------

A few off shoots of the SC series have been developed that do not require a MPC controller. These would be the Smart Arrow messengers (which can be interfaced into the same data stream, reducing wiring).

For a time, Whelen made a low cost product based on the serial protocol. These were the "Diagnostic" bars and controllers known as the PSDS-9 units. The controllers look just like the PCC-9 series switch boxes but have a red LED light over each push button. If there is a lightbar component failure, the LED will light up to let the user know that something is wrong. To my knowledge these were only factory and not field programmable. Major customers of these were the Connecticut State Police and the Ohio Highway Patrol.

The current byproduct is the WeCan lightbars. They used the same data wire system from the lightbar to a "universal control point". This control point is programmed via WeCan software, but the bar is then switched using normal means.
Awsome explanation, I still have a b10000, and a few 9000 blink units and alot of mpc01 and I have the transponder to program the main mic controller

dmorrill22

May 16, 2019
VT
If there's enough interest one of these days I'll pull apart my custom shortened (28"?) Libby that's run by an Arduino. This thread was a tremendous help in getting the Arduino to communicate with the SC Board

Reactions: Tony P

Exlawman1

Dec 23, 2019
Long island, n.y.
I havea few I will have to dig through them , and see what I can put together for you, can you program it? I have the whole transponder thing to program it , I have to use a old laptop that has the software, not sure ifbi can get it to work on a newer computer?

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Yep I can program it, I got a serial converter and the software on my laptop, going to have to try and get a mic from whelen for it. Can't seem to find a mount for the speaker for my 02 explorer, my shop I use suggested a universal one. And since it's too old for a pushbar i guess I'll have to find a way to mount it under the hood.

Exlawman1

Dec 23, 2019
Long island, n.y.
Yep I can program it, I got a serial converter and the software on my laptop, going to have to try and get a mic from whelen for it. Can't seem to find a mount for the speaker for my 02 explorer, my shop I use suggested a universal one. And since it's too old for a pushbar i guess I'll have to find a way to mount it under the hood.
I may have the mic too, but you need to give time im super busy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.