Whelen Carbide

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
I got to see the system last month at the Adamson Industries "Mini Fleet Expo".  Looked very promising and I'm convinced it we become my departments new Siren/Light Controller.  

I was told the cost of the system hasn't been determined yet.

It will be capable of running up to 3 WeCan devices with optional expansion kits. So like a WeCan external lightbar, WeCan RTX rear Inner-Edge, and a 16 output WeCan expansion module for under the hood so you only have to run the WeCan wires to the main system.

I really liked the control head.  Looked and felt very well constructed and would take the abuse of being in a shared patrol vehicle.

The software isn't as in-depth as CanTrol but almost exactly like what's currently seen with Sapphire and WeCan.  There will be a park override pattern ability.  

I took some pics of the demo Charger with the Carbide installed.  I'll have to dig them up off my home PC when I get there.

Last edited by a moderator:

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
So can you control individual lightheaded with carbide or is that still exclusive to Cantrol?

dpm9917

May 1, 2011
Englewood, CO
It has just been released it is essentially a little more than a sapphire and a little less than the control which is overkill in most applications. Pricing by region is going to be in the High 800 ball part with add on's for a second siren amp 200.00. Our Demo is on the way we will be installing it shortly

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Well, that was quick; I got my Carbide and I should have it in a vehicle by late next week for videos.

The outputs on the Carbide weren't what I was expecting. I was expecting a bunch of low amp outputs like what's found on CanTrol. Instead most are high AMP (20-10amp) thick gauge wire like the Sapphire main outputs. This isn't an issue at all, it's just not what I was expecting. And this can be addressed with the addition of 2 WeCan Expansion Modules.

So I see two types of installs with this product.
1. Complete vehicle sync, multiple modes, easy fast programming, no extra accessories, no individual control over multiple lightheads.

This install would combine multiple lightheads to an output. So you won't have pattern/phase control of each individual light head, but would control them as groups.

2. Complete vehicle sync, multiple modes, more in-depth programming of each output, needed purchase of Expansion Modules, control over each individual lighthead, and dual tones with WeCan amplifier.

This install would require you to buy 1 or 2 of the WeCan Expansion Modules. i.e. placing one under the hood and one in the back. Then routing all your light heads to the 16 outputs on the modules. Allowing you to control each lightheads phase/pattern. Getting you very close to the functionality of CanTrol, but I think with the added costs of the accessories this setup might be more expensive.

We'll now have vehicles fielded with CanTrol, Carbide, and SOS bluePRINT. Probably will be making our decision by March of what system we're going with.

Reactions: Buckypmp

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Just a side note, the Expansion Modules are not required, but for some will make installation a bit simpler. Carbide does provide for 18 individually controllable outputs that can be flashed or turned on steady, and power set to low or high. Software is VERY user friendly and far less complex than Cantrol.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Would you be able to do a video of the lighting set up with Carbide when you have the install complete? Does your dept like to run cruise lights or use steady flash or steady burn for it's fleet? I'm getting my department set up using cruise lights and having a separate button programmed for steady flash on the lightbar etc. If it's a hit I'd like to educate them on the carbide and it's ability to do all that for our slick tops.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Would you be able to do a video of the lighting set up with Carbide when you have the install complete? Does your dept like to run cruise lights or use steady flash or steady burn for it's fleet? I'm getting my department set up using cruise lights and having a separate button programmed for steady flash on the lightbar etc. If it's a hit I'd like to educate them on the carbide and it's ability to do all that for our slick tops.

Yes, you can setup a cruise button. You can program only a few select outputs and lightheads on your lightbar, or you can have every lighthead programmed into your cruise button (sort of like what a lot of CT LE agencies are doing with CanTrol).

Steady Flash is being used by my agency, the MA State Police, CT State Police, RI State Police, and several smaller departments as a reduced power night time park pattern. Carbide will do this and sync your lightheads with your WeCan bar(s). The pattern is a favorite of ours and is a big reason we probably won't be going with the Soundoff bluePRINT.

I love the Carbide so far. There are a few bugs with the software, but it's only version 1.00.00 and Whelen is already hard at work fixing them.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Yes, you can setup a cruise button. You can program only a few select outputs and lightheads on your lightbar, or you can have every lighthead programmed into your cruise button (sort of like what a lot of CT LE agencies are doing with CanTrol).

Steady Flash is being used by my agency, the MA State Police, CT State Police, RI State Police, and several smaller departments as a reduced power night time park pattern. Carbide will do this and sync your lightheads with your WeCan bar(s). The pattern is a favorite of ours and is a big reason we probably won't be going with the Soundoff bluePRINT.

I love the Carbide so far. There are a few bugs with the software, but it's only version 1.00.00 and Whelen is already hard at work fixing them.

Perfect! I'll have to look into this and talk to my commander. I did speak to a MSP Sgt. about your steady flash and after speaking to my commander I will be setting up some of our new rigs with steady flash on the light bar with lower level lighting normal flashing. Our bars are mixed red/blue so I won't have the whole bar on steady flash like MSP/RISP do.

Thanks for the info.

jeffroalpha700

Oct 16, 2011
Littleton, CO
Does anyone have a link to the software download? I wanted to play with some of the programing abilities of the system, but I cannot find a link anywhere on the Whelen website (although you can for Cencom Sapphire.) Thanks in advance!

EastSide279

Apr 11, 2013
CT
Here she is. Whelen Carbide installed. Just waiting on the radios and graphics before she's on the road.

Looks awesome. Nice setup too. I can't wait to get mine. What brand of console does the vehicle have? Also, was the carbide able to do everything you wanted? Thanks.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Looks awesome. Nice setup too. I can't wait to get mine. What brand of console does the vehicle have? Also, was the carbide able to do everything you wanted? Thanks.

The console is a Troy. This is the first car I've used one of their products in. I've always used and swore by Havis, but this thing is solid. From here on out, I maybe buying Troy.

Yes, the Carbide does everything we want. I'm very happy with it. Now that being said, so does the CanTrol. But the system wasn't being used to its full potential and we were limited to 2 local installers (who have become all about the numbers and the quality of their installs have gone to sh*t). With Carbide, I can now go back to installing and tweaking our vehicle fleet.

And as for the bluePRINT systems we have fielded; it's not even in the same league with the current setup/software. Still doesn't do what we were told and sold on back in August.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
I love this install! The BEST I have seen in a long time. I think the amount of lighting is fine. Ion outer edge I could take it or leave it since there are ions on the rear license plate but the BEST use of technology in a long time. No dumb crazy fast seizure inducing patterns. Great job.

I look forward to finally having CENCOM for our fleet. Might be able to pitch Carbide but we'll see.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
TACKLEBERRY - any chances of seeing some photographs of the parks unit after graphics are on it?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
TACKLEBERRY - any chances of seeing some photographs of the parks unit after graphics are on it?

Unfortunately, yes. And what I mean by that is the NPS (Washington Office) has updated the vehicle markings policy and we have new markings. They're a HUGE step in the wrong direction. They didn't consult or ask for suggestions from the Officers working in the field. Now we're driving around in vehicles with an National Park Service billboard displayed on the side.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Nope, the Tahoe has the new graphics. This is the old graphics.
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8313_8021342278_f24ab68801_k_d.jpg

The problem is, we have many documented Use Of Force cases where force was used or the Ranger was assaulted simply because they "were just a park ranger". And if you don't know Interpretation Ranger, Education Rangers, and Fire Rangers all wear the same uniform as Law Enforcement Rangers. They also wear a gold badge with "Park Ranger" on it. So Washington's "big fix all solution" was to take the 3.5" US Park Ranger off the fender and make a billboard on the side of the vehicle.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
I can see that happening. I've never understood why you all have the same uniforms as non-commissioned personnel. Safety issue for the non-commissioned folks too. At least the law enforcement officers have tools and training to deal with an attacker. But it's ridiculous not to make it clear that there are differences between everyone.

Our code enforcement wear jumpsuits like us and have every tool on the road as us but guns. My friend has asked that they allow him to carry on the road (he has partial commission and can carry when doing court security) or change his uniform to look different than patrol. After 15 plus years and a new take charge Sgt of the unit he'll finally get what he wants....possibly.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
The latest pricing I am getting is about 300.00 more also.

Reactions: coopers

EastSide279

Apr 11, 2013
CT
Attention all, the Carbide software is now posted to the Whelen website for download. I just downloaded it last night. Very user friendly to use just like the sapphire and wecan software.

SeanC898

May 21, 2010
Shelton, CT
Is it possible for someone that has experience or knowledge of wiring the carbine to explain how to wire in an Inner Edge and a Rear Inner Edge RTX into the system. I just get hung up on the fact that there is only one WeCan Input and I have 2 devices for that. Maybe I'm just overtired and missing something. But anything (pictures, explanations, loud noises) would help.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Is it possible for someone that has experience or knowledge of wiring the carbine to explain how to wire in an Inner Edge and a Rear Inner Edge RTX into the system. I just get hung up on the fact that there is only one WeCan Input and I have 2 devices for that. Maybe I'm just overtired and missing something. But anything (pictures, explanations, loud noises) would help.

Just splice all your WeCan wires together (connect all the greens and all the grays). It can handle up to 3 different WeCan devices.

Reactions: SeanC898

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
New Carbide dedicated website and video tutorial pages are up.
http://www.whelen.com/carbide.html
http://www.whelen.com/support/index.php

Anyone else been playing with the software and can confirm there's still issues with "Off, Cruise, and Low Power" options with the 16 Output expansion module under "Accessories"?

What I mean by that, is if I program a cruise button and I check off the cruise boxes to the lightheads connected to my 16 Output module I want to cruise; the boxes un-check themselves once I click another button on my control head. However the boxes will remain checked, to 18 outputs of the actual Carbide system. This same exact "bug" happens when I check the "off" boxes.

Everything works fine under the "Properties". It's just the "Accessories" tab I'm having issues with.

I also lost the "Low Power" ability with the new update. Software version 1.00.00 is fine, and I had to roll back to it to program my cruiser.

Reactions: Buckypmp

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
This hasn't been made clear to a simpleton like me, but can the Carbide integrate non-WeCan lightbars and perimeter lightheads?

For example, if I have a non-WeCan Whelen lightbar and the SNM True-Dual EFlood 7200, I can have the installer integrate both into Carbide using the expansion module? In the case of the lightbar, perhaps it'd be easier to rewire to incorporate a WeCan module.

Feedback is welcomed and much appreciated!

tigerfdny

May 28, 2010
New York
In regards to the WeCan connector on the back of the Carbide unit, I know that the Green & Gray wires are supposed to be spliced whether it is 2 WeCan devices going into it or just 1. My question is, what is the purpose of the middle Black/White wire that is between the Green & Gray wires on the connection itself and what is supposed to be connected to it?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.