Whelen Cloud Platform™

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
New from Whelen. One of the cooler things is vehicle to vehicle sync. They just posted a video of this to their facebook page.

"The Whelen Cloud Platform delivers a multitude of capabilities for fleet management and safety. Using the Vehicle Safety Gateway™ (VSG™), it bridges connectivity into next-generation analytics and software and firmware updates, all while helping first responders make life-saving decisions through telemetric and GPS-based data."

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I think it’s definitely cool but it’ll cost a pretty penny, and I personally would not spend the money for this on my dept’s fleet. Yes, some of the features are cool, but when is the last time you needed stuff like vehicle-to-vehicle sync or remote firmware updates?
I think carbide/blueprint-type software is awesome (and more than enough) for controlling the lights/sirens, and I’d leave other safety features and vehicle monitoring to the MDTs and existing vehicle electronics

Reactions: tsquale and Jman423

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
But I'm not, that's the thing. I just wish Whelen and Federal Signal would catch up. Competition breeds excellence, and I'd love to be able to seriously consider other brands.

The BP system needs improvement, but why push any improvement when the only 2 competitors are a decade behind?

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Ya kinda are though man, every time I hop on here I see another comment from you bashing everyone but sound-off.

I think you need to speak with a Whelen rep, CanTrol and now WeCan X with Core are able to do anything Blueprint can as far as I'm aware, and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

When I was working for a sound off dealer I cant even begin to tell you how many lights I have personally seen fail due to water intrusion, granted that was 6 years ago now and hopefully their product has improved. Again not saying Whelen doesn't have the same problems in some areas but in my experience the Whelen product has had much longer durability.

EDIT; Not to mention Whelen had computer controlled/programmed options YEARS before Sound-Off, so again I'm not nor will I ever be convinced that Sound-Off is a superior product or manufacturer.

I couldn't disagree more with your comment about Whelen being a decade behind, the Legacy and Liberty 2 are some of the brightest bars I have ever seen and are still ascetically pleasing, granted the MPower and NForce are bright but damn are they ugly.

Code 3 is the only one way behind IMO

To each their own though Bro, I hope the sound off stuff treats you well and no matter what you say I'll still be spec'ing Whelen for my projects

Last edited:
Reactions: t24t1000

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Alrighty gents, lets stay on topic here. Product announcement :) You can create a John Smith - Soundoff Fanboy thread in the ring if you wish Bvfa23

Reactions: Bvfa23

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
LOL Thanks Tony

OP - Interested to see all the capabilities and options with these new Whelen products as we're in the process of spec'ing a new Chiefs vehicle now..................

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I can see both sides. The sync feature could be useful, but it may not be worth the cost that comes with the feature. It would also depend on all vehicles on-scene supporting the technology.

However, moving forward, it has a lot of potential.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Ahh yes the Cloud, that's where whelens head is in, I just had a convo with a VP at whelen, who turned on my local State Rep and one of the former blink mpc gods, and they told me... There's no reason to look for those old parts anymore, they did a warehouse cleaning and dumped them all in the trash. I guess they believe under the wrong idea that led and the new stuff is God's gift to lighting and everyone so I should just upgrade.... But who can afford thousands of dollars worth of new equipment and gear when you don't get grant money or tax money to pay for their ideas!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i like it.. i always figure there had to be a way to bluetooth or something multiple cars together.. imaging the footprint of an entire vehcile's setup as a "traffic' arrow for lane closures... granted it would only be good in metropolitan agencies..

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Hopefully it doesn't do this automatically, and/or can be disabled by the Officers. There are a lot of cases where we want different lighting groups activated and on different patterns.

Reactions: thatoneiowan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.