Whelen dashmiser2 with issue

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I have an older dashmiser2 that started developing a weird startup issue, I can plug it in and turn it on and then wait 15 mins or so for it to work it's way up to full speed. It will start single firing till it hits the 4th flash then go to the other strobe and single flash up to 4 and back in forth slowly increasing speed till it's at full comet flash. Sent it to ehelen for evaluation, can you believe they said they couldn't find the issue and in the meantime stripped the screws on the sides of the covers and sent it back saying no issue and taped and ziptied the endcaps on it.
Well I raised some hell, got it sent back and they finally saw the issue to the point they put a new switch end on it and ran it on multiple different 12 supplies without issue. I'm betting they didn't cold start it cause I got it back with the same problem, it wouldn't fire at all after 4 hours on my car, turn it off and it single fired. I am stumped cause I'm not sure what's up, I'm gonna direct connect to the wire connection on the board when I can and see what happens.
Thoughts???

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
I haven't ran into the symptoms you describe so this is just a guess - maybe the voltage regulator on your board is no good (given different behaviors on different power sources).
Attached are pics of a dashmiser PS I had lying around.
What's really weird is your description of it getting faster and faster over time, and alternating between flashheads correctly, albeit really slowly. This seems to mean that the hybrid board (which contains the brains for the trigger control) is maintaining state but not "advancing" reliably - so that's why I'm guessing the voltage regulator is not delivering clean power to it.
You might check for any cold-solder joints around the hybrid board or the voltage regulator (and anywhere else for that matter).

Attachments

• dmps.jpg
    dmps.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 8
  • vr.jpg
    vr.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 8
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I had somewhat of a similar issue a while back but only on one side. Eventually it would get to working properly but only after it was well warmed up. It started after using the light in single digit and below zero temps. I try not to use it any more in temps that cold if I can help it. (It sits on my display now, replaced it with a Dash King). I swapped the strobe heads and the issue moved to the other side. I purchased a pair of replacement strobe heads. After I replaced the one it has worked fine since.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.