Whelen Deck-Master Question

MPD234

May 23, 2010
Minnesota
I have an old Whelen Deck-Master (strobe not Halogen) missing the power cord. On the back of the unit it has a 4 pin Molex group and a seperate 3 pin Molex group. I'd like to get or assemble a power cord for this unit. Question is are both Molex pin groups used for power? If so, how would I go about setting up a rig for this? Pardon my ignorance on this type of thing, but I appreciate any assistance.

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
cory y said:
it might by one of the syncable models

It sound like a syncable model. the 3 pin connector is your power connecter and the 4 pin connector is for syncing with another dashmaster. I have one at home i will have to look and see what wires go where

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
The three pin is for the hot, ground and low power. The four pin is to use it for sync with other units and/or running from a remote power supply.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
On mine, the three pin connector is for positive, negative, and the third wire activates a relay on the circuit board that turns off one strobe. The four pin connector is just a connector with no wires going anywhere.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That third wire made me wonder whether some of the DashMasters were Cal-Spec compliant: power to the third wire might turn off that one strobe and also power a steady burning halogen lamp.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I'd imagine Whelen made a CA Dashmaster/Flasher, but I've never seen one before. Since I'm getting out of collecting (for now), wouldn't be as big a deal, but would still be cool to see.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
it was a cool set up my friend had one of the 1st 3 head setups

2 double dashmasters for the rear and one double in the front

MPD234

May 23, 2010
Minnesota
Thanks everyone for all the responses, very helpful as usual! I'll work on putting together a power cord now that I know what I need.

grfd711 said:
I'd imagine Whelen made a CA Dashmaster/Flasher, but I've never seen one before. Since I'm getting out of collecting (for now), wouldn't be as big a deal, but would still be cool to see.

They did. My old department had some with steady red/strobing blue, but I haven't seen them in years. That was back before clear emergency lights were approved in California.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.