Whelen Dual Tone Siren Hack

QUICKONE

Jun 5, 2020
ARIZONA
I had another Upfitter call the other day for advice.

He had an Customer with a 6x6 EMS Ranger UTV and his Chief wanted to upgrade the siren to a Dual-Tone Siren like a Whelen 295SLSA6 that they have in their Medic Rigs.

The Upfitter ran into the same problem that I immediately spotted, (lack of additional OEM Supply 12V Power).

The 295SLSA6 specs requires 60 Amps DC, so that would mean a 2nd Alternator is needed or a separate rechargeable battery on an isolated circuit just for the siren. Those two options were nonviable. I told him to let me kick some ides around and see if I could come up with another option.

I remembered that Whelen's 30 watt WSSC30 siren units are linkable/syncable. So I ordered up parts and started testing the two linked WSSC30s out with different programming and...WAH-LA.

I was able to program different Wail Tones in each WSSC30 and it sounds almost identical to a 295SLSA6, (just not as loud). To be honest the two 30W units sounded just as loud as one 100w unit. I also used the Whelen WSSMSW3Motorcycle switch.

On item I found on the WSSC30 Installation Schematic (for a single Unit only calls for 5 Amps DC) and that adding a 2nd linked Unit it doesn't specify to increase the input supply amperage. Common sense would dictate an increase to 10ADC for 2 linked Siren Units. I'll have to call Whelen in the morning to confirm.

Whelen WSSC30

Whelen WSSC30 Installation Manual

The siren portion of the SLSA6 does not require anywhere near 60 amps. That requirement must include anticipated draw for the switching functions.

Upvote 0
So which models are dual tone?

I'm dyslexic and sometimes I have a hard time with model numbers.

Upvote 0
The siren portion of the SLSA6 does not require anywhere near 60 amps. That requirement must include anticipated draw for the switching functions.
Understood, but as an installer I won't deviate from OEM Specs, specially on a Public Safety Vehicle. If it was a POV I'd have the owner sign a waiver, showing that by his order I deviated from the OEM Specs and therefore I'm not responsible for any future warranty or repair issues.

I've seen it before when the initial Upfitter installs a controller/switching relay pack with power that's under-rated/fused.

Time passes by, and another Tech needs a power tap, see's open accessory circuits unused and, (being that the source is under powered/under fused) starts having issues for insufficient power etc.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XR4TiCrew