Wanted Whelen Edge 1985 Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sztraki2

Jun 16, 2019
Budapest, Hungary
Hi Guys!

I have a Whelen Edge lightbar from 1985. But the strobe power supply is broken. Anybody know what kind of transistor there on the wall of the power supply? Or has anybody wiring diagram for this supply?
My Lightbar is Whelen Edge, and the conrol is WS-227A, but i don't have amplifier.
Is there someone for sale?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• DSC_0123_resize.JPG
    DSC_0123_resize.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0119_resize2.jpg
    DSC_0119_resize2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 48
  • wh01.jpg
    wh01.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 44

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Hi Guys!

I have a Whelen Edge lightbar from 1985. But the strobe power supply is broken. Anybody know what kind of transistor there on the wall of the power supply? Or has anybody wiring diagram for this supply?
My Lightbar is Whelen Edge, and the conrol is WS-227A, but i don't have amplifier.
Is there someone for sale?
Thanks for your help!
There's not a sticker on the power supply that says the model number of it? My Whelen's power supplies all have stickers on them. Mine uses the UB412, but it's different than the one you have. On the bottom side of the light bar, what model of edge is it? Ultra? Matrix?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
On the bottom side of the light bar, what model of edge is it? Ultra? Matrix?

I don't think any of those variants existed until well after 1985. His is one of the earliest Edge bars. Notice the full-height lens optics and the j-tube corner strobes.

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I've searched some and can't find this. Have you emailed Whelen technical support? Here is a name and email from a person I've gotten help from in the past. If you email him the pictures you posted here he may be able to help?? Hope this helps...but I'll keep looking, too...I'm curious now! Here's his information: John Kuzminski email: jkuzminski@whelen.com

Sztraki2

Jun 16, 2019
Budapest, Hungary
There isn't has a sticker. :(
Only Whelen, and a paper...
I wrote a letter to John, but he couldn't help me.
Anybody know what kind of capacitor?
Maybe the transistor is there.

Attachments

• whelen.jpg
    whelen.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0636B.jpg
    DSC_0636B.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 16

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
The part you circled in red -- could you take a closer picture of that? You are sure that particular part is bad? Also, this may be a long shot, but have you taken it down to an electrical store and see if they know what kind it is? I sure talk a lot (sorry), but have you seen the 1984 power supply on the lightbar liquidator website? It's not quite the same, but maybe usable?? Not sure if this site is up and running...but might not hurt to check it now and then. Above the 1984 supply there's a 1990. I'm trying my best here...sure would like to see you get that light bar going! Here's the link: https://www.lightbarliquidators.com/strobe-power-supplies

Last edited:

Sztraki2

Jun 16, 2019
Budapest, Hungary
Thank you for your information. The transistor has already been replaced. I just need to replace the capacitor. And maybe the power supply will be works.

Attachments

• DSC_0119_resize3.jpg
    DSC_0119_resize3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 23

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
SMD (surface mount) components are so tiny they're generally picked and placed by robots. This technology was only in its infancy in the 1980s.

The capacitors used in OP's power supply are through-hole mounted.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I had 2 of the supplys listed on flea bay but got no bites. You are welcome to the for shipping cost. Oh and I don't think they are J tubs. They look more like the V tubes. More common to that time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.