Whelen Edge 9000 48" Wiring Questions and more....

FIR3MDC

May 17, 2021
Washington
I think that I am posting this in the correct forum, if not, please advise.

I recently bought an old Whelen Edge 9000 light bar. I have been having issues getting all of the lights to work. The only lights I have been able to get to work are the alley lights on both sides and the 4 corner strobes. Everything else I cannot figure out. I ordered a Powermax 110 volt to 12 Volt DC converter for the power and it works fine, it's the wiring I am having a hard time with. I have attached pictures so you can get a sense of what I am working with.

Open to any and all suggestions to get all the lights working.

Whelen EDGE 9000
Model: 9438
Model Numbers of the unit behind Opticom and rear covers: 2 X 6

Attachments

• IMG_8315.jpg
    IMG_8315.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8316.jpg
    IMG_8316.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 11

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Might be hard to figure out without the bar in front of us.
The factory never uses wire nuts, so it appears that someone has been in there previous to you.
My suggestion would be to trace everything out.
I am sure someone on here has a wiring diagram for the 9438 series (I don’t anymore) and then you can trace it out for what you have.

Keep this thread updated with progress! We all love flashy things

FIR3MDC

May 17, 2021
Washington
Might be hard to figure out without the bar in front of us.
The factory never uses wire nuts, so it appears that someone has been in there previous to you.
My suggestion would be to trace everything out.
I am sure someone on here has a wiring diagram for the 9438 series (I don’t anymore) and then you can trace it out for what you have.

Keep this thread updated with progress! We all love flashy things
The wire nuts were my doing and those connections are what is making the lights work that are working.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Ahhh Ha! Lol Very good then!
Then I will still defer to someone who has the wiring diagram for the 9438 series bar as I don’t have it anymore.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
old thread but might be helpful.

you might need to power this via a battery or other regulated power supply. Strobe bars can get picky where they draw power from.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
in the going through the thread that @Stampeed Valkyrie posted, I read that the 9308 would be the same. So I dropped a google on that and came up with another thread. This is what I took from that thread. I would go through this and compare colors listed here with what you have before testing with 12V.
The brown wire is supposed to show 12v, as its returning 12v from the relay matrix board for you to power your switches--was designed that way to plug into the PCCS9N switchbox.

Concerning the power supplies-one powers the inboard strobes, and the other powers the outboard strobes. On your control harness, the green wire powers the front strobes, the gray wire powers the rear strobes, and the blue powers both front and rear strobes. White is left alley, yellow is right alley, white/black is takedown. Applying momentary 12v to the purple wire puts it in low power mode, and you have to turn the bar off then back on to return to high power. I only recall the comet flash as being the only pattern available in those bars.

FIR3MDC

May 17, 2021
Washington
Follow-up

I was able to get the front strobes to work as well as the driver and passenger alley lights. Still unable to get the rear inner strobes, take-downs and rear caution lights to work. Looking at the wiring diagram that my BIL sent me, attached below, I am not sure what the issue is when I connect the wires to the positive terminal. If I am reading it correctly, the gray/white wire should do it, but nothing when I do connect it. Same with the take-downs and rear caution lights.

Thoughts?

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I don't think you ground the violet wire, in most of them wasn't that 12 volts momentary to put it in low power mode or latched 12 v constant till the light bar was turned off and turned back on. Did you try switching the leads from one power supply to the other to see if the power supply has died? If the lights that work on one supply don't work on the other then fuse or dead supply.

Reactions: FIR3MDC
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Does the ground wire coming out of the light bar need to be connected to anything
??

It should connect to the ground on your power supply. and the wire should ground to the frame on the inside.

FIR3MDC

May 17, 2021
Washington
Update:
I cleaned up all the lenses so they are looking like new. I also flipped the front strobes with the rear strobes to see if it was either a bulb issue or a wiring issue. Looks like it is a wiring issue as the rear strobes now work but the front strobes do not. The take downs in the front and the yellow caution lights in the rear still do not work. Taking out the Opticom and going to replace it with another solid black lens, like the rear has. Unless you all have another suggestion?

Attachments

• tempImage7k2vFv.png
    tempImage7k2vFv.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImageuIzquL.png
    tempImageuIzquL.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: firebuff17

FIR3MDC

May 17, 2021
Washington
Replacement front strobe came in the mail today so I replaced that and the front strobe wiring is not the issue, it was a bulb issue, so the front and rear inboard strobes now work. Last is the front take downs and rear caution flashers to get to work. Ordered a bulb to see if it is a bulb issue. Fuses are all good. Progress.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
If the flashers/takedowns are halogen. You can use a meter to test continuity on the contact point. If blown there will be no continuity.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.