Whelen Edge 9000 Diagnostix 99 Take Down Lights And Rear Work Lights

Derek W

Apr 14, 2017
USA - NY
I have a Whelen Edge 9000 Diagnostix 99 that has 4 corner strobes, 4 linear inboard strobes, 4 400 series halogen over halogen modules, alley lights, and cruise lights. The tops of the 400 series are take down's and rear work lights, while the bottoms flash. There is no matrix board only 2 power supplies and a halogen flasher board, everything is hardwired to the control cable. I am thinking of doing 1 of 5 things with them and would like some opinions.

1.) Replace all bottom halogen lights with push in led inserts.
~$100.
This may give a better light output but the modules are just led's no special lens's to help with light dissipation

2.) Replace all 4 modules with 4 400 series halogen over strobe.
~ $100.
I feel like this may be too many strobes, even though the bar has 2 EB6 power supplies.

3.) Replace all 4 modules with 4 400 series halogen over strobe, and replace all halogen lights with push in led inserts eliminating take down's and rear work lights.
~$200
I don't know if the strobes would over power the led's.

4.) Replace all 4 modules with 4 400 series 6 over 6 led modules.
~ $630
This is very expensive along with the fact that they can't or shouldn't be used a steady burn light.

5.) Leave them as is except add colored half filters over one section.
~ $60
This is most simple, cost effective, and cheapest option.

Please give me your honest opinion. What would you do? What do you think would look and work best?

Thank you in advanced!

P.S.
If someone could explain the difference between the light bar models that'd be great! The regular Edge 9000, the Edge 9000 Diagnostix 99, and The Edge 9M.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
FYI. I've picked up 6/6 400 series for as cheap as 30 bucks a piece.

You didn't say what your goal is. 400's are good for flood lighting correct but you need to state what your goal is for us to give an accurate opinion.

If your looking for more warning power. No brained 400 6/6...

If your looking for work lights/tds/white flashing get a full size 400 halogen and be done with it.

I've always get those split 400 heads were ineffective when used for two different purposes.

Good luck,
Seth

Derek W

Apr 14, 2017
USA - NY
FYI. I've picked up 6/6 400 series for as cheap as 30 bucks a piece.

You didn't say what your goal is. 400's are good for flood lighting correct but you need to state what your goal is for us to give an accurate opinion.

If your looking for more warning power. No brained 400 6/6...

If your looking for work lights/tds/white flashing get a full size 400 halogen and be done with it.

I've always get those split 400 heads were ineffective when used for two different purposes.

Good luck,
Seth

Thank you Seth for the input! As you said I didn't really state a goal mainly because I'm open to doing anything with them. Take downs and work lights would be nice but not necessary.
I have done some looking on eBay and other places for 6/6 400's in blue white configuration but have yet to find any, I've seen blue blue for the $30 like you had mentioned. I'm going to look around some more and figure it out before I do anything, I kind of like the idea of keeping things older style like the strobes and halogens without mixing in the led's.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Wilson here on the board can also swap led colors for you. Very reasonably priced.

Combo of strobe n 400 series warning is awesome if you use the right patterns.

Good luck,
Seth

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.