Whelen Edge 9000 Troubleshooting

ImpulseBuy

Apr 11, 2020
PA
Recently purchased a Whelen from a local FF. All blue, takedowns/alleys with four strobes per side and four little halogen steady-burns in the corners.

I managed to figure out the wiring, but I can't seem to get the center strobes or back halogen to work.
The strobe supply seems to not want to power them. I plugged the strobes into the corner strobe's connector to test them, and they do work. However, when plugged into the supply, they do not come on.

The supply also generates a noise like a car alarm, a high chirping. I think this is from age, (One supply's production date is marked as 2/87, corners/strobes are 1/85 & 2/85)

Is this an issue with the supplies? Would swapping in a newer supply solve both issues?
The model on the bottom label is 9248
The marked supply's model is 01-0266094-00

Last edited:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Based on the noise you are describing and that you tested the strobes on another supply, it sure sounds like that supply is the issue. Swapping it would solve the strobes. The halogens would be on a separate flasher.

ImpulseBuy

Apr 11, 2020
PA
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know what type I'd need? The ones I've seen on ebay have eight pin connectors, where as the current ones use six pin.

ImpulseBuy

Apr 11, 2020
PA
Update: One corner bulb fixed by repositioning, other one is blown.

Determined that one supply is totally dead, while the other only is on it's way out.

Still no idea on which supply to buy.

ImpulseBuy

Apr 11, 2020
PA
No markings other than a sharpie'd-on manufacture date, voltage rating and "441135" next to the input

Update: "Whelen 65857C" on the board.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
You are definitely looking at the original power supplies for the edge bars, back when they were fixable now a day's covered with that garbage you can't do anything but replace them but have faster different patterns.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I have 2 of these supplys that are acting stupid. Maybe you could help. I likes the slow double flash of them.
Also, I think that is the second generation of the bar (when they started using plastic holder and the start of the "J" tubes). The 1st had all of the lamp holders metal and had the "V" tubes in the outer corners.
Another thing I remember, it had 3 modes. All front (which flashed the front 4 strobe heads), 360° mode (which activated the corner strobes only), and rear (which activated the 4 rear strobes).

Last edited:

ImpulseBuy

Apr 11, 2020
PA
I was able to get an EB6 wired in to the bar. If anyone wants the old supplies, let me know. Thanks for the help, ya'll!

STOP everything right there, you have a GEN 1 edge bar, do not mount that on a vehicle if you dont like a whistling wind noise. get me a pic of the data sticker on the bottom of the bar.
And as always we have all the parts in stock for that bar
want to get more in depth, just shoot me a message

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.