Whelen Edge 9000

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Got this in the mail from another member today. Has 8 strobes and 2 takedowns. Some of the reflectors are crispy so I'm gonna get some aluminum tape and clean them and put over the burnt section.

When I got it, it had 2 Amber lenses to the front so I swapped them to the rear.

Has 2 Nova EPSX404 power supplies, one for the front and one for the rear. I have to get in and mess around with the wires nuts and take them out and fix those and find the wire to change the flash patterns. Will probably set it up for quad flash in the front and double flash in the rear.

I will also be figuring out a way to mount my Lo Pro speaker to this bar and using it.

Any tips, comments, or anything let me know.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558827.138920.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558837.944286.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558851.067567.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558862.272035.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558877.996428.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558890.838064.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558900.773554.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558913.612569.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558922.850303.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558931.571454.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558940.542545.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434558948.713519.jpg

Reactions: JohnMarcson

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Looks crispy as hell but all in all a nice bar. You got one of the oldest too, which could be a real collector's piece if restored. But since you're using it, enjoy because they're super bars. I wouldn't suggest using an overhead speaker, though. It's convenient and looks cool but after a year of regular use, you won't be able to hear your phone ring when it's right next to you. 

rond

Jan 6, 2011
USA Detroit, MI
Plus those speakers get clogged easy in the winter with snow and ice. I also second that it's way too loud when mounted on the lightbar. I loved it when my department moved the speakers to the grill.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Looks crispy as hell but all in all a nice bar. You got one of the oldest too, which could be a real collector's piece if restored. But since you're using it, enjoy because they're super bars. I wouldn't suggest using an overhead speaker, though. It's convenient and looks cool but after a year of regular use, you won't be able to hear your phone ring when it's right next to you.
I plan on getting some aluminum tape tomorrow when I get paid. Hopefully that'll take care of them.

The serial and model number is wore off but from what I can tell in the thread for Edge bars based on the reflector types, this is an original bar from 1989. Also since it has 8 strobes it makes it a 9308 model.

As far as the speaker, it will probably oh be temporary. I don't live far from the station and we don't run Code 3 all the time for calls so I don't see me running it constantly. Once I get the front of my Jeep fixed I plan on running a couple speakers behind the grill.

Also, the takedowns are not wired up so I'm debating on trying to figure out if I want to make them flash or not.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Good, just make sure you don't use it too much for too long. That's just asking to give yourself problems. 

Also, the takedowns are not wired up so I'm debating on trying to figure out if I want to make them flash or not.
Just wire them to flash with steady override. 

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Good, just make sure you don't use it too much for too long. That's just asking to give yourself problems.

Just wire them to flash with steady override.
Random question. I looked and haven't found an answer on here yet.

To connect the 16g wires to the 12g main wire, what would be best to connect them with? Currently they are connected with a wire nut, but I have some 10-12g butt connectors I thought about using.

Would connecting them through that be ok?

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Random question. I looked and haven't found an answer on here yet.

To connect the 16g wires to the 12g main wire, what would be best to connect them with? Currently they are connected with a wire nut, but I have some 10-12g butt connectors I thought about using.

Would connecting them through that be ok?
I'd imagine so but don't quote me on that, I'm not much of a wiring expert. 

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Looks good. That stuff is magical for old reflectors.
Thanks. I have done half the bar. Will do the other half later today. All I have to then is polish the lenses up. If I do that I'm not sure. Got it all wired up and ready to go though. I'll have to extend the wires some but that's it.

Talked to the chief yesterday to see when I'd be off probation. Hopefully soon. If they say I am in gonna go ahead and ask to mount them on the jeep.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Ok. Well I have a video of it and will post once I get it uploaded to YouTube.

Another question. The lenses look awful pinkish to me, should I just replace them or is there a way to fix that?

Got some 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper so once I get some time off I'm gonna polish them up a bit and see.

wmreader

Aug 3, 2012
ETex
Another question. The lenses look awful pinkish to me, should I just replace them or is there a way to fix that?
Nope, sorry. You are stuck with that pink color, literally, because you have first generation lenses with the solid vertical optic lines. That generation of reds, as well as their blues, were notorious for giving off pink and teal colors when used over strobes. They were also thicker than later generation lenses and that hindered the brightness/intensity of the strobe flashes. The lenses did not get corrected to give off their true colors until the second generation came along that used split vertical optics. The only way to get a true red color is to update the ones you have. BTW, when I checked your pics up close to determine the lens type, I noticed that you appear to have second generation endcaps. If so, do they give off the red color you desire? If they do, match them with the correct lenses and you will be set.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Nope, sorry. You are stuck with that pink color, literally, because you have first generation lenses with the solid vertical optic lines. That generation of reds, as well as their blues, were notorious for giving off pink and teal colors when used over strobes. They were also thicker than later generation lenses and that hindered the brightness/intensity of the strobe flashes. The lenses did not get corrected to give off their true colors until the second generation came along that used split vertical optics. The only way to get a true red color is to update the ones you have. BTW, when I checked your pics up close to determine the lens type, I noticed that you appear to have second generation endcaps. If so, do they give off the red color you desire? If they do, match them with the correct lenses and you will be set.
They are ok. I will have to check and make sure.

I have some lenses from my parts bar. Just need to make sure they are the correct length. If not, I guess it's off to the wanted threads. That's the only bad thing is checking the lengths.

wmreader

Aug 3, 2012
ETex
Since you have a first generation bar with lenses that apparently are original to it, you probably should hang on to them if you change to newer lenses just to keep the collectable factor intact when you retire the bar.

I have a bunch of second generation reds with split optics if you might be interested in getting some. I can probably come up with lengths that are either an exact match or close to yours. If you will PM me your actual measurements, I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Since you have a first generation bar with lenses that apparently are original to it, you probably should hang on to them if you change to newer lenses just to keep the collectable factor intact when you retire the bar.

I have a bunch of second generation reds with split optics if you might be interested in getting some. I can probably come up with lengths that are either an exact match or close to yours. If you will PM me your actual measurements, I'll see what I can do.
Ok. I will take measurements when I get home and get to a tape measure and will pm you. I know the bar is a 50". I'll mesaage you in a few hours when I get off and let you know.

fireman-dave

Jun 30, 2013
morrison, co
Looks great Matt!  So much better than sitting in my basement getting dustier.  I am really glad that you are taking time to get it working again and onto your Jeep.  Stay safe out there. 

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Just an update. Talked to the chief today. If everything looks ok with my probation period being over then I have the ok to run lights and sirens.

Even though the lens on this bar gives off a slightly pinkish tint I am going to run it and my Dashmiser until I get some different lens for it.

Once I get the ok I will update with pics of the install.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That is a very early production Edge. It looks to have the composite metal feet? Put it on a shelf!
From what I've found out, this is one of the first model Edge that came out.

It did have the metal feet but since I'm putting it on the jeep I swapped them for the plastic ones.

Eventually what I plan on doing is trying to find an original power source and swap it and the Nova ones. I'll put the Nova ones in my other edge and retire this Edge and put it on a shelf and use the other on on my POV.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Has anyone ever seen a takedown wired like this?

Both sides have wires that are ran to a fuse, but no wires are coming from that fuse to wire them up. The only way I'd know to wire them is to cut the wires and extend them and ground it and run the wire to the button I want to use.

image.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.