Whelen Edge 9004-AK Questions

mls60442

Jul 18, 2010
IL
I picked up an Edge 9004-AK earlier this year while purchasing some other bars. It was tossed in with the purchase and I was told it didn't work when the guy I purchased it from had acquired it. I had to scavenge some bulbs and lenses from it but am ready to figure out what was wrong with it and get it back together.

I noticed there is no green control board inside the bar. The only boards I found where what I believe are flasher boards, one on each side of the bar. The two boards are below.

20161208_135938.jpg 20161208_140051.jpg
Do these boards control only the flashers, or do they do anything else. If the main control board is missing, which one am I looking for. All I am looking for is 4 strobes which I believe my strobe power supply is for, two sets of flashers to the rear, a set of flashers and a pair of take downs (flashing with steady override if at all possible) to the front, and alley lights with cruise lights. I plan on finding and putting an SA40 low profile speaker on it as it had one in the past.

I've got 9Ms pretty much figured out, but I don't know a whole lot about these older Edge bars. Also, what was the difference of the AK models from SL or other models?

Any and all help is appreciated.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
There are no "I/O" boards in the AK...should have a 2 pairs of rear flashers, pair of front flashers flashing/steady TD alley lights and 4 strobes....

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Check out this page from the Whelen catalog, http://elightbars.org/forums/attachments/wc-026-jpg.147554/

This is how I remember a standard AK bar was configured. Maybe a 2nd set to the rear was an unlisted option? But I dont think I ever sold or built one like that.
Wow, IDK. This was the most popular bar in MA and I have never seen one with only the single set of rear flashers. There are still tons of them in use today on the fire side

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I've only ever seen them as a single set of rear flashers and all the pics and vids I've seen online are single flasher versions. It's very possible though that Whelen did a custom setup for MA.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
Wow, IDK. This was the most popular bar in MA and I have never seen one with only the single set of rear flashers. There are still tons of them in use today on the fire side
Back in the day, the AK was hands-down the most popular bar I sold. We changed lenses all day long but I dont think I ever saw an extra set of flashers. But I learn something every day!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.