Whelen Edge 9M - convert to led?

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
 Recently picked up a Edge 9M lightbar. Bar is missing some lenses and the one corner strobe is the only thing that works. Debating either converting it to LED with freedom heads or cutting it in half and making 2 mini bars. Frame measures 44" currently without lenses.

I know its been done but I am trying to decide what the best or cheapest option would be? Or if I even want to bother with it.  

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Recently picked up a Edge 9M lightbar. Bar is missing some lenses and the one corner strobe is the only thing that works. Debating either converting it to LED with freedom heads or cutting it in half and making 2 mini bars. Frame measures 44" currently without lenses.

I know its been done but I am trying to decide what the best or cheapest option would be? Or if I even want to bother with it.
Well, one of the most important things to let us know is, "what is the application gonna be?" For example, if it were to be used on the rear of an apparatus or the front of a rear-mount aerial, then 2 minibars would make sense, but if it's just gonna be on the roof of an cab (ie POV pickup or SUV), then just keep it as one piece.

Lenses shouldn't be an issue b/c there are tons of them out there (used and NOS), and there are tons of tricks on here for polishing existing lenses.

As for the lights, you really have to decide if "best" or "cheapest" is your primary driving factor here. Yes freedom heads/6 over 6 400s would be ideal, but you can save yourself a few bucks by being creative with SNM lion series or E6 duos, E66 sticks, apollo/cobra lightheads, apollo/cobra lightsticks, microman sticks, 700s, etc as the "guts"

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Well, one of the most important things to let us know is, "what is the application gonna be?" For example, if it were to be used on the rear of an apparatus or the front of a rear-mount aerial, then 2 minibars would make sense, but if it's just gonna be on the roof of an cab (ie POV pickup or SUV), then just keep it as one piece.

Lenses shouldn't be an issue b/c there are tons of them out there (used and NOS), and there are tons of tricks on here for polishing existing lenses.

As for the lights, you really have to decide if "best" or "cheapest" is your primary driving factor here. Yes freedom heads/6 over 6 400s would be ideal, but you can save yourself a few bucks by being creative with SNM lion series or E6 duos, E66 sticks, apollo/cobra lightheads, apollo/cobra lightsticks, microman sticks, 700s, etc as the "guts"

The problem is I don't really know what my application is right now lol. More of a lets see what I can do and what the options are. I have some Microman heads as well as Feniex lights around so maybe I will look at that.

Also if I want to get clear lenses I am assuming the Freedom lenses will work?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Edge center lenses come in a few different configurations with optics but all fit except endcaps. There are 9m endcaps and freedom or ultra edge endcaps. An actual freedom frame is a bit wider from front to back versus the 9m frame. I have a pair of clear endcaps if interested. Also dont know what color you need but I have a handful of blue 5mm 400series heads.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Edge center lenses come in a few different configurations with optics but all fit except endcaps. There are 9m endcaps and freedom or ultra edge endcaps. An actual freedom frame is a bit wider from front to back versus the 9m frame. I have a pair of clear endcaps if interested. Also dont know what color you need but I have a handful of blue 5mm 400series heads.
  That's good to know thanks. I would need all red or amber. I will need to decide what I am going to do and get back to you. Thanks again

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Just beware, I've done a lot of projects like this only to invest too much money into it. I would try to determine a use and a budget and let those factors drive what you build. By the time you get all the parts to make it a Freedom, for example, you might have been able to buy a used bar for less money and have it all factory built. 

Reactions: Sparky_911

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Eh what's the fun in that?

There was a guy selling loaded 50" 9m bars on ebay for $350. Was all led except the corners were strobe. Picked up some corners and somr other custom tidbits and I have myself a 9m freedom.

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
With some searching, it can be done for a decent price. Retired1 here has 400s pop up a bit.

Our parking truck had the inner strobes go out.  Bought LEDs and a flasher and replaced them.  Then swapped the halogen flashers for LED, too. So now it has the corner strobes and LED mix.

View attachment TANDP_Truck.jpg

Then after that, we decided the clear lenses would be the way to go.  

TANDP_Truck2.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-04-17-21h26m12s516.png

Plus it was fun to play and do.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
The 9M stock flashers are both halogen and LED... The I/O will handle 3 flashers giving you 12 LED heads unless you use splitters then you can run as many LED heads as you can stuff in there...The only problem you will have is "triggering" the 2nd 2 flashers as there is a 10 pin plug and a 4 pin plug that run into/through the control cable. The 10 pin plugs into the main I/O and the 4 pin plugs into flasher 1. To run the other 2 flashers you will need a special plug that runs from the strobe supply outlets on the main I/O and runs 2 separate plugs to the other flashers...1 4 pin for control and one 2-pin for power/ground. They are commonly found on the Texas DPS Freedom bars....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.