Whelen Edge 9X Series Lightbars

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
https://www.whelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Edge-9X-Product-Sheet-13424B.pdf

This product was revealed on August 17th, 2022 at the Fleet Patrol Conference and Expo in Austin, Texas. I was shocked that this hasn’t appeared on this site till now (unless my searches failed to provide it’s existence).

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Reminds me of a justice bar with the dome design. Maybe and economy version of a liberty or legacy?

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
It’s a different design that’s forsure. I’d honestly haven’t to see it in person to see if it’s aesthetically pleasing on the eyes. The guts of it appear to be a combination of the Re-designed Tracer and Strip-Lite Plus series of light heads.

I’m speculating but of the belief that Whelen built this bar to target a certain audience or Agency bid specification(s).

Either way, nice to see a new addition/offering to the consumer at large.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I may be jaded about lightbars, but I don't get excited about "new" lightbars anymore. The current LED technology has plateaued to the point where pretty much all major manufacturers make bars that are plenty bright. The overall effectiveness comes down to pattern/phasing. I watched a video of a modern Las Vegas fire unit with the newest LED products installed that I think is less effective than basic flashing halogen system from 20 years ago. The whole thing is a purple glow. No definition of color and vehicle footprint. This is one of many million dollar units that I count among the causalities of good equipment but in a bad setup.

I like that Whelen is speaking to the "blurr" effect with DVI and cross unit synch products. I have my doubts about the success of auto-synch between vehicles when our toughbooks randomly won't see wifi or devices for 90 seconds sometimes and my phone occasionally won't connect to my headphones. I like the idea of vehicles automatically re-phasing and synching for on scene operations, as much as I like the idea of specific patterns for different portions of response. Delineating clearing the right of way vs. blocking it is not a new concept, but we need a combination of automation and human compliance to make that work. "Smart" portions of current technology goes unused far too often. Placing an emergency vehicle in park should shut off the headlight flasher at the very least. All major companies have that option in their controller but I am routinely blinded by parked emergency vehicles with flashing high beams, takedowns, and alley lights. This is a failure to properly equip/set up the vehicle. Smart products help, but they don't replace training in proper equipment use and they don't work when not installed/activated.

tldr; I am not getting excited about new packaging for already effective LEDs. Functionality and ease of use are what I look for now. Making products easy to use and easy to install with the needed features working is where I want to see advances.

koga

Jul 2, 2014
Budapest, Hungary
I would not worry about the gaps that much. Although it is noticable I don't thank the actual gap is too large. The modules are probably close to each other but their frame looks to be darker making the gap visually larger.
This thing reminds me of the SoundOff 2X bars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.