Whelen Edge evolution

@Ranger-Services.com -- correct me if I'm wrong but that beautiful stack of CSP lightbars are all "Diagnostix"-series. This predated B-link as Whelen's first effort towards "intelligent" control of the lightbar's functions - i.e. 2-wire propietary serial control of each element of the lightbar's functionality (including TAs - front and rear facing).

I think this laid the groundwork for B-link as well as WeCan as it began to allow users to integrate specific lightbar functionality within a larger strategy of whole-vehicle warning.

The key to this was an intelligent controller board in the lightbar itself -- I have several samples of this board, part #01-0266955-00C. They bear a copyright of 1991!
sure are, look @ the sticky for the diagnostix, we covered some there

Where the early CT State police Edges on the LTD Crown Victoria's V tube?
mix of V and J tube

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
the very first CSP cars could only operate front or rear not both at the same time
A surprising number of early Whelen crossbars and even some 8000s were that way. You had to pay more for an option to run both.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Can anyone touch on the 'DOT' edge bars? I'd love to see catalogs, or gain a better understanding on the part numbers and components...
"DOT" is generally used by Whelen as a term for amber/construction/snow removal applications. The amber division has been called "amber", heavy duty, and DOT. The products offered generally follow the other product lines as far as components. There have been DOT and amber specific mini and micro edge models, usually mirror mount and sometimes components are installed differently i.e. directional heads vs. end strobes. DOT power supplies will also allow of an uneven number of heads to allow a center roof beacon. There were times when there were/are specific other products like the power supplies I mentioned or the "HELS" strobes which were aircraft wingtip strobes marketed as side of dump truck bed strobes.

As far as full sized bars, there were tow specific edge bars that had STT lights and rear floods by default. There have been, at times, base model edge bars offered in specific configuration listed in amber and DOT catalogs. Usually they focus on what you would expect, scene lighting and rear warning. These bars pretty much "option up" into the same setup as the rest of the product line in most cases. Again I don't recall any components in DOT bars that were not offered in other edge bars. I have a few amber market catalogs throughout the years, I will look and see if there are any interesting "base model edges" listed in any of them, I don't recall anything major.

DeadStone

May 26, 2020
2087 Stonefort RD
"DOT" is generally used by Whelen as a term for amber/construction/snow removal applications. The amber division has been called "amber", heavy duty, and DOT. The products offered generally follow the other product lines as far as components. There have been DOT and amber specific mini and micro edge models, usually mirror mount and sometimes components are installed differently i.e. directional heads vs. end strobes. DOT power supplies will also allow of an uneven number of heads to allow a center roof beacon. There were times when there were/are specific other products like the power supplies I mentioned or the "HELS" strobes which were aircraft wingtip strobes marketed as side of dump truck bed strobes.

As far as full sized bars, there were tow specific edge bars that had STT lights and rear floods by default. There have been, at times, base model edge bars offered in specific configuration listed in amber and DOT catalogs. Usually they focus on what you would expect, scene lighting and rear warning. These bars pretty much "option up" into the same setup as the rest of the product line in most cases. Again I don't recall any components in DOT bars that were not offered in other edge bars. I have a few amber market catalogs throughout the years, I will look and see if there are any interesting "base model edges" listed in any of them, I don't recall anything major.
Thank you for the info. I was unaware. Because I know the IDOT ones would run off remote ISP188s but I didnt know if others were that way...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thank you for the info. I was unaware. Because I know the IDOT ones would run off remote ISP188s but I didnt know if others were that way...
Oh, you mean the SSF or "snowflake" line. That is a halogen and strobe synchronized line of products that included the 360 beacon with the internal supply (I have one) and multiple remote applications.

There was a mini edge version (I have one and the power supply too) but the cables were cut and I need to rewire it. It used the combo reflectors, synching the halogen light next to the end strobe alternating sides. Essentially it was thought that the slower flashing halogen synchronized with the strobe would give you the best of both worlds and be a cumulative improvement in snow, sun and fog (where the SSF designation came from). LEDs kind of killed this idea, but I liked the theory. Sticking with the idea that the DOT line used stuff from the main line, the components were the same internally, the only difference was the external supply which isn't unheard of in the regular line (remote edge plus on ambulances, remote tailboard edges on fire vehicles etc). I have seen the same external supply used to synch the hsn35 bulbs that used to flank the linear strobe inside the 9E and linear 900 strobes used on an ambulance. I have also seen the supply used with sidebeam lights to make the halogen/strobe combo version synch on the bumper of a heavy rescue. So yes there were some special DOT bars but nothing you couldn't build with the parts from the regular line. I will post a few catalogs when I get home. I really need to get that SSF or "snowflake" mini edge rewired too.

DeadStone

May 26, 2020
2087 Stonefort RD
Oh, you mean the SSF or "snowflake" line. That is a halogen and strobe synchronized line of products that included the 360 beacon with the internal supply (I have one) and multiple remote applications.

There was a mini edge version (I have one and the power supply too) but the cables were cut and I need to rewire it. It used the combo reflectors, synching the halogen light next to the end strobe alternating sides. Essentially it was thought that the slower flashing halogen synchronized with the strobe would give you the best of both worlds and be a cumulative improvement in snow, sun and fog (where the SSF designation came from). LEDs kind of killed this idea, but I liked the theory. Sticking with the idea that the DOT line used stuff from the main line, the components were the same internally, the only difference was the external supply which isn't unheard of in the regular line (remote edge plus on ambulances, remote tailboard edges on fire vehicles etc). I have seen the same external supply used to synch the hsn35 bulbs that used to flank the linear strobe inside the 9E and linear 900 strobes used on an ambulance. I have also seen the supply used with sidebeam lights to make the halogen/strobe combo version synch on the bumper of a heavy rescue. So yes there were some special DOT bars but nothing you couldn't build with the parts from the regular line. I will post a few catalogs when I get home. I really need to get that SSF or "snowflake" mini edge rewired too.
Right, ok... I do remember reading about the halogen/strobe combo in some 2000s catalogs. So it's nice to hear a bit more detail on that. Overall I think the combination of strobe and halogen technology was logical and pretty effective! I do look forward to seeing your "snowflake" mini edge in the future! :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here are some PDFs about the halogen/strobe synched line. This happens to be a micro edge version still using the combo reflectors (with the halogen end trimmed down). I screen captured a few parts as jpgs and added those too. Also attached are a few PDFs of SNF beacons and systems.

snfmicro1.JPGsnfmicro2.JPG
13449snf2.JPG13449snf.JPG

Attachments

• whelenisp4hs.pdf
    193.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 13424.pdf
    369 KB · Views: 1
  • 13291.pdf
    234.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 13402snf.pdf
    241.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 13449360snf.pdf
    251.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 13485snf.pdf
    443.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: ur20v

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is my SSNF mini edge and the newer ISP8HS that was running it. Note the cable "chop" and that the number of pairs of wires I will have to redo. I also attached a data sheet for the updated power supply. There are also two pictures of the type of combo turbo reflectors used. These are the type with a single snap-in halogen slot, no additional attached linear strobes or multi-use/twist-lock sockets. Also attached is a picture of the bars with the power supplies being sold off together as surplus, showing that these slightly later models were often paired. A later system is pictured below as well, with the "SSNF" heads not in the edge portion but combined in the 700 series halogen/strobe lights. At one point you could get a three linear strobe micro edge (pictured below). However eventually that was replaced with a 3 LED micro head with 700 series LEDs (GEN 1) and you could only get two strobes in the micro platform. I attached a diagram of some of the ways you could build a micro edge near the end of the "strobe era" and beginning of the "LED era". A halogen/strobe combo 700 head replaced the combo reflector in the micro edge if you wanted halogen and strobe inside.

Mini edge SSNF 28"
PXL_20220925_134129025.MP.jpg
PXL_20220925_134202843.MP.jpg
PXL_20220925_134211724.MP.jpg
PXL_20220925_134300795.MP.jpg

ISP8HS

PXL_20220925_134353728.MP.jpgisp8hs1.JPG

Cable cut
PXL_20220925_134143602.MP.jpg

Reflector type in SSNF mini egde 28"
tt3.jpgtt 2.jpg

SSNF bars auctioned with their ISP8HS supplies
pilesnowflakewhelen.JPG

3 Head strobe version
3stbmicro.JPG

SSNF with halogen portion external
snfsytem.JPG

Halogen/Strobe micro now accomplished by 700 combo heads, 3 head version now LED.
edgeoptions.JPG
$(KGrHqV,!nME9g(F02SzBPqbwHjg+Q~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqR,!qoE-Z(JsHVzBPqbqqthL!~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqRHJEcE-kMEUcD7BPqbqC59f!~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqV,!lcE-lETJkBLBPqbpWMeUw~~60_3.JPG
$(KGrHqZ,!p!E9dPWvJ5-BPqbv2sEe!~~60_3.JPG

Attachments

• 13473ISP8HS.pdf
    195.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 13649ISP8hsSytem.pdf
    212.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: kitn1mcc

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I summed up some points of confusion and contradiction here

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.